Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Likable SciFi Weekend Fare, June 5, 2012
This review is from: Doomsday Prophecy (DVD)
Said it many times before, just like scratching a semi-decent winning lotto ticket, once in a very long while SciFi's Disaster/Monster/Alien Weekends produces a decent flick.

Clearly we're not talking anything near a well-funded mainstream production with all the bells and whistles like 'Battle Los Angeles'. These flicks are made on the cheap, with rendered sfx commonly generated from desktop computers. But as always, it's the story that carries the film, not bells or whistles.

The aforementioned 'Battle' was a craptacular failure. Why? Because the plot was a pitiful retread; a story that was clichéd and uninventive. It lacked a proper foundation to build on those pricey special effects. And when you do that - you doom your project to mediocrity, or worse. So when a feebly funded project like 'Doomsday' is produced, but carries with it a decent plot that's charged with cogent energy - I'm appreciative. Even if it doesn't qualify as a hit, I suspect many of these films do well enough in the marketplace to make the producers money. And as aside, these flicks make for a fun popcorn distraction for cinephiles waiting in the lulls between so-called blockbusters and important films.

In 'Doomsday' the events of a prophesied day of destruction begins to unfold, the film's characters have been unknowingly cast into a cosmic play whose actions will either save humankind or become unwitting participants in its annihilation.

A.J. Buckley plays Fox, a junior book editor who has been handpicked by a reclusive writer who hasn't been heard from for decades. An infamous scribe whose last book became a huge worldwide bestseller then promptly disappeared. Fox been offered a chance at a his newest tome, one the author has worked on for the past twenty years, and all he has to do is show up. He's understandably a bit freaked out and suggests a more experienced senior editor take the meeting, but his boss tells him that he won't risk the loss of the publication rights by not following the instructions down to the last detail - he's going.

Simultaneously, a field anthropologist is given the same instructions. The author has promised an incredible endowment to her program - and all she has to do is meet him at a specific time and place. The offer comes on the heels of her university's funding crunch, so she reluctantly leaves her dig to receive the check.

Unfortunately, neither will ever collect anything - the author died the day before sending out his instructions. All that remains is a video recording he made at the moment of his death.

Thus begins a high-paced adventure to try and unlock the secrets of the past. A past that included visitors from another place who gave humankind a very special gift. Countering their efforts - a nihilistic military officer who has himself been hunting for both the author and the gift in order to facilitate the breeding of a new human race, one made in the image of himself. He wants to become God.

The battle of who will obtain the gift and use it properly will determine the fate of the planet.

I have to be honest and admit that a fair portion of my enjoyment comes from watching Jewel Staite, on whom I've carried a film crush for many years. It would be too obvious to throw in all the adjectives, suffice to say: As far as I'm concerned she's one of the most stunning actresses of her generation.

Personal drooling aside, 'Doomsday' really was a decent budget-conscious thriller that I enjoyed. Very much like 'Maximum Velocity' or 'Anacondas - The Hunt for the Blood Orchid' where interesting characters and a movie plausible story carries what would otherwise be a forgettable production.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 13, 2012 10:03:18 AM PDT
Eric Sanber says:
Nice review. I've never heard of this but will seek it out. I must take exception to one part of your review however. Battle Los Angeles. Is it a great film? No. But it wasn't trying to be. It's army guys fighting aliens. One paid reviewer remarked on the use of cliches. He says they're efficient and he's correct. Your not going to a flick like this to re-invent the wheel. You're going to order a pizza, pop a beer and have at it. For me it was like "Black Hawk Down" with aliens. A million camera set-ups. Rapid fire editing and nifty special effects. I didn't need it to be great. I needed it to deliver, and that it did. William Burroughs said that Naked Lunch is when you see exactly what's on the end of your fork and you eat it nonetheless. Battle Los Angeles was my Naked Lunch.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2012 12:45:55 AM PDT
Great review, and the comment/conterpoint was excellent as well.
I live in Europe so -- obviously -- I never heard of this movie [either].
I believe I'll buy this, inexpensive movie for a rainy day in Germany.
Thanks!

"Big Mac"

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2012 3:40:21 AM PDT
MadMacs says:
Hi Big Mac,

I want to emphasize that a lot my pleasure in this film comes from watching Jewel Staite. So please handicap my review with that in mind. <g>

As a wise man once said, "You can't completely trust that guy - he has p*ssy fever".

MM :-)

P.S. In case it comes up: I taped (yes, ha ha, so everyone reading this can have a laugh) - I taped one of those SciFi weekends in August of 2011.

This flick and one other were playing as a double bill. Was stunned to discover when I wrote my review that the movie hadn't been released into the mainstream market and ended up sitting on it for nearly a year. Still waiting on the other flick's release.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2012 4:00:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 17, 2012 4:18:40 AM PDT
Too late -- I already bought it.
Thanks for your FINE recommendation!
If you like any of the STAR TREK films, read the review I just finished...
mostly because it's almost as good a bargain as when I got all the
HARRY POTTER films for the SAME price!
Oh! I got --- another --- cheap pleasure:
The Twilight Zone: Fan Favorites [Blu-ray] <==2 Blu-rays, 19 BEST OFs, $20.
The Twilight Zone: More Fan Favorites<=======5 DVDs, 20 BEST OFs, $20.
That is 39 of the 156 The Twilight Zone episodes on-the-cheap!
Made me jump on the ONE DAY that the $500, usually $230, COMPLETE BLU-RAY TZ COLLECTION for $174,
I think it was.

Let me know -- here in Germany -- via a comment on one of my 163 reviews what the heck "the other flick's"
name is IF you SEE it for sale somewhere.
Oh!
I might be OLDER THAN DIRT; my hair may be gone; I may suffer from a bad back; cannot hardly see without
my glasses... but I enjoy "eye-candy" as much as the other guy... unless Jewel Staite is an "overly-large" woman.
I'm about six and a half feet tall, around 300. My wife is about a hundred, and well under a foot shorter.

Later!