Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

4.0 out of 5 stars This is an expensive fragile toy!, September 13, 2010
This review is from: Parrot AR.Drone Quadricopter Controlled by iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, and Android Devices (Orange/Blue) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Accessory)
If you are not into the RC plane hobby, you need to understand what you are in for. This is a fragile high tech piece of equipment. Those who have flown RC Planes know this but those of you that are new to RC flying would be well served to buy 2 of these. One to fly and one to take parts off of when they break, and they will break.

Any fall from greater that the default (9') will cause extensive damage, a new system board is $99 and the costs of the parts quickly add up. Just a note replacement parts are not shipping at this time.

Yes these are easy to fly, but they are easy to crash and break very easily. I have a broken, central cross, system board, body set, shaft and gear.

It's fun to fly but even after about 10 hrs under my belt I am still using the indoor hull outside. Shaft and gear will break if prop hits anything. Any wind is a problem. My indoor hull is showing signs of stress and I imagine it will not last much longer.

It is well worth the $299 price but keep in mind, it will break,

FWIW I sent support an email over 2 weeks ago and no response, I sat for hours on the phone and never talked to anyone. You are on your own with this. Oh and try and find parts, my guess is 80% of the drones out there are non usable.

Buyer beware THIS IS AN EXPENSIVE TOY, that breaks very easily and the replacement parts are pricey.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 13, 2010 11:49:32 AM PDT
Olivier says:
How long does the battery last on a full charge?
What kind of battery is it? (number of cells, capacity), I have a bunch of RC plane batteries, and I was wondering if I could use some with the parrot?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2010 12:17:24 PM PDT
J. Bielby says:
Battery lasts about 15 min in full flight. It is a 3 cell LiPo Battery with a LVC, and the Drone itself may have an LVC as well.

Yes as far as I can tell other batteries would work.

Posted on Sep 14, 2010 1:59:58 PM PDT
It looks like getting spare parts is easy since they sell everything right here on Amazon. Not cheap though.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2010 2:09:17 PM PDT
MAS says:
I'm getting about 10 minutes of flight on a full charge. Included battery is a 3 cell 1,000mAh 10C pack. It has a mini-tamiya plug with a Align/JST/XH balance connector. The LVC kicks in @ 10.5v.

I haven't used any non-Parrot packs, but do use my Hyperion chargers to keep multiple packs balanced charged and ready :)

Posted on Sep 20, 2010 10:27:13 PM PDT
M. Booty says:
Comments about it being more sophisticated than a toy are valid, but you must have really banged that thing up to break the cross bar, as it's made of carbon fiber! I got to fly two of them tonight and it all seemed really sturdy. I had it in a hover at about 10 feet (well over my head) and hit the "emergency" stop button and it fell with no damage.

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 9:58:11 AM PDT
jjRobotek says:
How did you do so much damage? I have flown and crashed 20 times with nothing more than some wear to one of the gears, although I am an experienced Foam Flyer ;)
Also, Replacement Parts are now starting to ship from the Parrot store.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2010 11:38:07 AM PDT
J. Bielby says:
Word has it that Parrot is now epoxy gluing Processor chips to the main board to help with the system board failures.

Dead drop an AR Drone from 20', flat, to a hard surface and let me know what your results are, I already have mine.

As I have mentioned previously, this review was written for the non RC pilot on what to expect in respect to upkeep repair and maintance.

I love my Drone and fly it most everyday. My first flight cost me $299 + tax and shipping.

Posted on Sep 22, 2010 12:07:01 PM PDT
J. Smith says:
Any light electric helicopters should not be flown outside unless it is very calm. The bigger, heavier helis are flown outside but they also cost a minimum of $500. I just got mine yesterday and I called tech support this morning and even though I got a message that they were busy and I would have to wait, I was connected very quickly.

Posted on Sep 27, 2010 8:16:05 PM PDT
parts are not shipping? What is this?: http://ardrone.parrotshopping.com/us/p_ardrone_main.aspx

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2010 9:35:26 AM PDT
J. Bielby says:

Few if any parts are actually shipping
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›