Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh wonderful, stuck with steam again., July 6, 2012
This review is from: Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition - PC (Video Game)
I suppose i should have researched this game a little more before i bought it. I'm familiar with the game itself, but this particular packaging of the "Ultimate" edition is what i'm referring to. One of the main reasons i bought this version of the game was i wanted to have the ultimate edition of the game ON DISK, without having Steam! I guess just reading all the reviews would have told me that steam is required, but i never even imagined that it would be necessary to have steam for this game when you own the actual disk of it. I mean why on earth do i need steam when i supposedly have everything right here on disc?

That right there lowers my opinion of the product a great deal. I notice this trend where steam seems to try to worm its way into your life no matter how hard you try to avoid them, but here it is again. I have been having some minor technical issues with the game, which do seem directly related to steam. I also dont like the idea of not actually ever owning a game when you have to go through them, when the day comes where everyone gets fed up with steam and they go bankrupt, whats going to happen to all those games i bought (or was mislead into buying from them)?

But whatever, no matter how much you try to avoid steam, it's always popping up, one of those facts we should just get used to right? Like taxes and loud idiots at the movie theater.

For the game itself, i dont have many complaints. The DLC (the whole point of this edition) is of varying quality. Old World Blues and Dead Money are pretty well done, the other ones you cant really say as much for. In fact honest hearts seems abysmally poor quality compared to the rest of the game.

I remember how amazing the graphics seemed when this game was first released, but they look somewhat shoddy now after playing games like Mass Effect 3. Overall its a great game, just would have been real nice without steam.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 20, 2012 11:04:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 20, 2012 11:05:40 AM PDT
Ben says:
I loved Fallout 3 and never had any problems with it. I finally decided to get FNV and like you was stuck with STEAM which I have never used and refused to buy games using it. This game was crashing on me about every hour, hard crashes requiring a computer reset. I tried the OFFLINE mode in STEAM and played for over six hours with no crashes for any problems whatever. At this point that tells me STEAM is the crashing/lockup problem. All my drivers are up to date with a quad core Intel process and an interconnection speed of 30+ Mbps. I will be looking for a NOSTEAM crack just as I used NOCD cracks in the past with games I purchased. Console players don't rent their games and buy/resell is a big market at stores like Game Stop. Why do PC users have to rent them. By the way, I purchased this game when it was down to $15, I won't pay more than that for a STEAM game.

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 1:14:14 PM PDT
A customer says:
I know exactly what you mean. I am SICK AND TIRED of Steam. Everything is controlled by Steam now. I was SO EXCITED to get Skyrim, until I found out that the first Elder Scrolls game in ages requires a Steam account. Well, I won't get started on here for the sake of you not having to read a 2,000 page novel, but at least you know where I stand. I think Steam is stupid.

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 5:23:29 PM PDT
H.L.P. says:
I agree that Steam exerts a positive aerodynamic pressure. It takes forever to download the game the first time (and why should you have to if you have the #@$%! disk), it is finicky and sometimes will not run because it hasn't had a 6MB update recently -- or because it's Tuesday. The game itself is fun, although you practically need a walkthrough to avoid losing your best followers too fast or at the wrong times. You can blow through this game really fast if you do not take the time to discover the many available marked and unmarked side quests. I wish Steam would simply ask if you only intend to play the game solo on a single machine, set you up to do that, and then fracking GO AWAY. They drive me nuts with their incessant advertising and updates that eat up my bandwidth.

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 2:00:27 PM PDT
RJ says:
Yup. Agree dude. Skyrim - great game but really dislike steam. Older computer and those damn popups with their advertising lock up my system. Then it has to save to that dumb ass 'cloud' every several hours. Freaken absolutely hate it.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 2:32:12 PM PST
L. Sowers says:
Now, I understand why you all hate Steam, but I have to point out one thing said by the last guy. Not everything saves to the Steam Cloud. For example, Plants vs Zombies, Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, Super Meat Boy, and many more save to your hard drive, not the Steam Cloud. That's all I have to say. Continue with your Steam hatred.

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 11:29:02 AM PST
pdot says:
I learned this Steam lesson after I bought Civ V. I'm going off the topic of Fallout, but here are my Steam problems. Steam games also forces patches/updates before you can play the game unless you disable the internet connection. A few times, the updates caused the game to crash and I had to wait months for the next update before it miraculously started working again. I haven't had this problem lately, but Civ V no longer runs at full screen at 1080 resolution.

With this said, I might buy the PC version anyway because I hear the PS3 version is super glitchy once you get past the 30 hour mark. Too bad none of the PC mods interest me very much.

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 4:31:26 PM PDT
A PC gamer that dislikes steam? You are a strange one I must admit.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2014 6:34:53 PM PDT
-={S}=- says:
it doesnt force anything, you can disable auto updates. I personally love steam, have bought over 70 games through steam on my account. they go on sale, i rarely get issues with one. there is a great community with it, i have friends on similar to facebook, can enable steam overlay if I want with games, or disable it, same with auto updates on each game. I can more easily join coop or multiplayer games with friends etc. and buy games and gift them. i wasnt sure about steam 2 years ago, but love it now really.

Posted on Jun 25, 2014 6:35:04 PM PDT