1.0 out of 5 stars IS DIANA KRALL BECOMING THE KENNY G OF "JAZZ", April 22, 2009
This review is from: Quiet Nights (Audio CD)
As a longime Diana Krall's fan I am extremely disappointed with the recent effort. She has become so predictably boring: sweet,sleepy sounds, strings--music that is just not jazz and obviously not what Mrs. Krall can do. Her music now is a cup of coffee with a pound of sugar in it. Kenny G anyone?
I have seen Diana Krall Live twice with the Quartet. She is an excellent JAZZ piano player and a great singer. I still consider "Stepping Out" one of her best efforts. Nat King Cole dedication album was great as well as "Love Scenes" and "Only trust your heart" are also great.
What drives Diana to make all of those string infused albums in past few years (except "Girl in the other room") is beyond me. I will not consider getting her next album before I find out what it is.
Meanwhile, I will turn my attention to real jazz singers of today: Patricia Barber, Lavay Smith, Madeleine Peyroux. Has anyone heart of Hope Waits ? Not necessarily a true jazz cd but what a fresh voice. Melody Gardot is another one to pay attention to. And if there aren't any modern female jazz divas to listen to, there is always time for Dinah, Sarah, Billie and Ella. Anita O'Day and Chris Connor are also a good jazz therapy.
I hope to hear some good music from really talented Diana Krall in the future.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 13, 2009 11:47:14 AM PDT
L. Caldas says:
The problem is that you have no depth of feeling to notice the huge gap between Kenny G songs and the eloquence of Claus Ogerman's arrangements. And I bet a real artist like her could not care less about your review. The only thing we agree on is that Kenny G is lame music. On the same note, Mr. Ogermann's own compositions were highly regarded by Glenn Gould ( a legend of classical piano- one of the greatest performers of Bach). I don't think Glenn Gould would have liked Kenny G.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2009 2:23:52 AM PST
The problem is that you have no depth of feeling to notice that in you reply to my review of a very mediocre, to say the least, album of Diana Krall, you ended up speaking of Claus Ogerman, not Mrs. Krall. I understand, that you may consider a sugary arrangements of well known songs an ALBUM OF THE YEAR, but I will simply disagree with this statement. As far as my knowledge goes, Claus Ogerman's work not only regarded by Glenn Gould (by the way, what does a classical piano legend has to do with my review of a "jazz" album?) but by many prominent names in music. Yes, we only agree that Kenny G is not jazz (do we?). Take care and good luck.

Posted on Sep 3, 2011 5:57:23 PM PDT
Larry Maas says:
I could not agree with the reviewer more! I loved Diana's albums right up to "Love Scenes" and then it was down hill from there. She became way too commercial, predictable and boring with her song selection in my opinion. The latter albums were also overproduced.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (348 customer reviews)

Reviewer