3.0 out of 5 stars Not the album I was waiting for, May 25, 2012
This review is from: California 37 (Audio CD)
I've loved Train since "Meet Virginia." I've always loved their tunes, their silly lyrics, and overall style. I'm the one standing at the Fillmore 6 hours before the show starts so I can be in the front row. I've caught guitar pics, thousands of up-close shots, a photo of Pat with me and my friends, been personally crooned to with his arm around me, met Pat in person. I love Train. I am Train's number one fan. I go weeks without listening to anyone else, and they're the only band I can listen to while studying.

I love Train and I **do not** love this album. I'm not even sure I like this album.

Prior to "California 37," iTunes informs me that I've only given two of their songs a rating of fewer than 4 stars. ("Idaho" and "Heavy," for those wondering.) "California 37" has 5 songs that rate under 4 stars for me. There are only 11 songs on the disc. I've gone back and changed ratings a few times as I hear things differently, so this was not a 'first impression' rating.

Sure, Train has changed. I went with Pat's solo stuff, actually I really liked it. I went with "Save Me San Francisco," even though not all of the album is my favorite, I still really like it overall. This? What is this? I sat through a law school exam on April 17, barely able to contain myself, anxious to finish so that I could buy the album, and this is what I get?

This'll Be My Year: too name-droppy. I really like the song overall, but it's too name-droppy. You've got a captive audience. Who are you trying to impress?

Drive By: the single. When this came out, I said "if this were by anyone but Train, I would hate it." I stand by that. However, it is an excellent running song.

Feels Good At First: the closest to 'real' Train on this album. This feels like a more advanced version of something off of "Drops," and I really like it. By far my favorite.

Bruises: meh. What is this, Crossroads? Too mainstream, too country-sounding. I like country music, but not from Train.

50 Ways to Say Goodbye: another running song. The lyrics remind me a little of "All American Girl," but poppier. Good for running though.

You Can Finally Meet My Mom: another name-dropper. Why? Just why? Shakespeare is timeless because he did not include many references to pop culture in his works. This song is the complete opposite of timeless.

Sing Together: fun, catchy. I don't have many complaints about this one, though I wouldn't say it ranks as high for me as the earlier stuff.

Mermaid: sounds like they're pandering to teenage girls. I hate this song, hate the lyrics. I tried to listen to it to give it time to grow on me, but after 20 seconds I'm cringing. The chorus bothers me the most. I gave it 1 star on iTunes, I'd give it 0 if I could. The only Train song on my iTunes with skips, and by far the least-played song.

California 37: edgy, which I'm typically inclined to steer away from, but I feel like it's done well here. I do not appreciate the degrading line toward women, but I do think there are other good lines. Also, can someone clear it up for me: is Heaven's door Vallejo or Novato? I can't figure out if he took 37 east or west.

We Were Made For This: no bones, but it doesn't stand out to me.

When The Fog Rolls In: okay, here we go. Probably my second favorite track. THIS feels like the Train I love. Nearly as much heartbreak as "Something More," and a great use of piano.

Overall... Not the album I was hoping for nor expecting. Maybe next time.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 17, 2012 12:31:42 PM PDT
S. Schreiber says:
what songs are on this cd? Amazon page doesnt show them?

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 3:20:42 PM PDT
W. Boland says:
Great review. I think I agree with pretty much everything you said. I'd have say when the fog rolls in is the best song. Personally I loved Bruises also. The rest was okay. I felt the same about the name dropping throughout the album.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 3:22:43 PM PDT
W. Boland says:
I think they've been added now

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 4:03:12 PM PDT
S. Schreiber says:
Thank for the great comments so now I know about this album...Sherry

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2014 10:40:41 PM PST
rzrbckmz says:
Funny you say this because this is my favorite Train album. I was not a big fan of them until Save Me San francisco came out although I did like Drops of Jupiter and Calling All angels. So when I heard Soul Sister I had to buy the album and I really liked it. When California 37 was released I bought it the first day and loved most of it. My favorites are Maybe This will be my year (great story song like We Didn't Start the Fire), Drive-bye, You can finally meet my mom and 50 Ways to say Goodbye. Least favorite is the title track and then probably Mermaids. I love car radio, sing along type music. Pat Monahan has a great voice and I want to hear him sing pop-rock songs. Keep up the good work!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (414 customer reviews)

Reviewer