5.0 out of 5 stars Great product IF you prep correctly!, January 2, 2011
This review is from: Command Large Picture-Hanging Strips, White, 4-Strip (Tools & Home Improvement)
I've been using these for at least 6 months, and I've waited to write a review until now so that I can give a full picture on whether they are truly as great as some people say they are. Great idea? yes, great concept and execution? That's what I'm here to answer.

I use these for the pictures that hang along my stairway. I decided to hang my children's artwork along the wall with almost no space in-between the frames, so I needed a LOT of frames and a perfect hanging technique. Since I don't have a ton of money or 6 hands to get that perfect picture hanging down, I decided to use cheap picture frames and these strips to hang them.

First I got a lot of frames from the dollar store and then had the kids paint the frames all different colors, then I got the Medium Picture hanging strips from 3M.

After reading the reviews I decided to follow the directions EXACTLY, with one minor alteration. Since, again, I don't have a ton of money - and these are pretty expensive, I cut the Medium Strips lengthwise and got double for my money.

I prepared the back of the frames using a cotton swab with alcohol (LET IT DRY)- if the frame was really smooth I used a needle to scratch up the finish figuring it would help it to adhere. Then after it dried I attached the already cut strip to the middle of frame - instead of the top because it made more sense to me.

Then I took this frame and held it up to where I wanted it to hang and prepped the wall with the alcohol. After it dried, I lightly attached the second strip to the strip already on the frame by only pressing the top and bottom edge and removed the backing. I held it up to the wall and used a shish-kabob skewer to keep the strip to the wall as I removed the frame.

The instructions said to let it wait an hour before hanging the frame back up. I found that an hour wasn't always sufficient (because my prep wasn't great? because I used 1/2 a strip? I don't know) However, if I let it sit overnight - SUCCESS! I've now had them hanging for months with no problems. I will press on them every once in a while to assure they don't knock off. After all, this is on a stairway and people can brush by them if they are not careful.

I honestly believe that if you don't clean the area with alcohol or give it enough time to adhere - you are going to have problems like the other people on these reviews. It probably helps using lightweight frames - and the dollar store 8X10 frames are pretty light, but I have used a whole strip instead of a 1/2 strip to the heavier frames and they've worked just fine too.

One other note. It took me forever to do the entire staircase because I could only prep a few at a time each day to give it enough time to adhere so I could measure the next frame correctly. So it was a lengthy process. It was all worth it though because now I can just yank off a frame and put in their newest artwork quite easily and it's one of my favorite places to walk because it looks so good, the edges are so straight and nothing wobbles or leans to one side.

Another great thing to use strips for are the frames that you've nailed to the wall. These can sometimes tilt so I'll use the poster strips for them to keep them in place and let the nail hold the weight of the frame. I also use the poster strips (2 per velcro strip) to re-use the velcro strips once I've taken them off the wall. Haven't had any problems with them either.

Good luck - prep and prepare to wait for a FANTASTIC finish to your framed art and photos. Don't let these other reviews throw you off!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2011 5:14:01 AM PST
Kal says:
Thank you for the detailed review and tips on doing it right. Appreciate it! :)

Posted on May 5, 2012 2:06:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2012 2:07:35 PM PDT
Brittany says:
Edit: Whoops, I thought I was looking at a different item! My bad. Please ignore my previous comment.

Thank you so much for the detailed review - that was really great of you!

Posted on Jan 1, 2014 4:04:58 PM PST
Imbrium says:
Wonderfully detailed review! Thank you for waiting to post this in order to make sure they held up well over time :).

I've used numerous Command products (most recently this one) and have always been very happy with them. They're rather expensive for my liking so I use them sparingly, but sometimes it really is best to pay for quality.

In my experience, as long as you follow the directions *exactly*, Command products always hold things effectively and are easy to remove when you need to take them down. If you take short-cuts, though, it bites you on the butt - I skipped the rubbing alcohol one time and learned that lesson in a hurry!

Posted on Jan 18, 2014 3:27:19 PM PST
S. Mast says:
How heavy a picture can the large Command Velcro strips hold?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2014 7:26:30 AM PDT
@S. Mast, this is what I'd like to know as well. I have a few big, kind of heavy pics/paintings that I wonder if they'll stay on the wall.

Guess I'll have to try it out for myself and see. :-) I'll post a review once I get to that point.

To the OP: thanks for the instructions in your review! It's always been hit-or-miss with these Command strips and whatnot; now I feel like I have a better chance of it working well (I'm really tired of hammering in nails all over the place ;-)).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2014 5:47:18 AM PDT
R. King says:
Hi S. Mast:

According to the www.command.com website the large holds up to "4 pounds per set." And one package contains 4 sets.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2014 5:48:09 AM PDT
R. King says:
Hi Nancy:

According to the www.command.com website the arge holds up to "4 pounds per set." And one package contains 4 sets.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›