5.0 out of 5 stars If it ain't the real deal, it'll do til the real deal gets here., November 23, 2010
This review is from: Apple iPod touch 32GB Black (4th Generation) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
First off, let me say that I still haven't gotten over the fact that I now have in my pocket a device that is so much more capable and powerful than the home computer I grew up with. Really it's almost misleading calling this thing an iPod because it does so much more than play music. This is a pocket computer and a mighty fine one at that.

Apple gets a lot of things right here. I'm blown away by its quickness. By the time you've gotten it out of sleep mode, it's already connected to wifi ready to go. It's unbelievably intuitive navigating around in and out of different apps. And these apps! I know it's their seemingly lame marketing slogan, but there really is an app for just about everything and a good chunk of them are free.

I'm also impressed with the games it has. Thus far I've purchased Angry Birds, Cut The Rope and Baseball Superstars, all superb games. If I had bought these on the DS, I would've spent anywhere from $60-$105. On the iPod, I spent $5. And these games are better than a lot of stuff on the DS. If only Nintendo made games for the iPod...

I think the hardware is also really solid. The retina display is as good as advertised. The small screen on the iPod is less of an issue because everything is so sharp. Reading text has yet to present a problem for me. Sure, it has a somewhat narrow viewing angle, but I only notice it when I'm looking for it. The camera is also better than some reviews on here would have you believe. I haven't taken any stills yet, but the video camera is more than serviceable. Battery life is also pretty good, if you're smart about it. I always turn my wifi off when I'm not using it and close out of apps when I'm done with them. I've been averaging about 10 hours per charge.

The only problem I have with the iPod Touch is that it relies a little too much on a computer. Yesterday I upgraded to iOS 4.2 and I had to connect the iPod to iTunes in order to do so. It would be so much nicer and easier to just download the update directly to the iPod and not have to deal with a computer at all. Also, I have a season pass for The Walking Dead and I can't just get the episodes directly to my iPod, I have to connect to iTunes. Annoying. I know the device has been making progress in being a stand alone device, but there's definitely still room for improvement.

In short, the iPod Touch is a magical device. I'm sure when I can afford the monthly charges for an iPhone or a Droid this device will be somewhat redundant, but until then, I can't imagine being without it.

EDIT 9/5/12: Just a couple additional notes. iOS 5 fixed my one big problem I had with the iPod Touch and made it a very standalone device. It's been as great as I figured I thought it would. In all, the iPod Touch has been my constant companion for almost two years now, as I thought it would be. But if you're in the market, just wait for the iPod Touch 5. It's long overdue for an update.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]