2.0 out of 5 stars expected more, February 8, 2014
This review is from: Mayim's Vegan Table: More than 100 Great-Tasting and Healthy Recipes from My Family to Yours (Paperback)
I was really looking forward to this book and I really, REALLY wanted to like it. But I am sad to say that I am quite disappointed with it. It is a great cook book for a beginner cook or someone new to veganism. But if you are looking for new exciting recipes this is not the book for you.
I am a vegan cookbook junkie so I have A LOT of vegan cookbooks and in Mayim's Vegan Table I didn't find anything that hadn't already been done. I don't need another recipe for taco salad, hummus, chili or fries. Seriously there is a recipe for fries(potatoes, oil, salt). I hate when cookbooks give "recipes" like that. I guess if you are VERY new to cooking its helpful. But I just found the book very uninventive. Another example the Sushi in a Bowl recipe is sushi rice, rice vinegar, avocado, sesame seeds, & nori. While I'm sure it doesn't taste bad its just very basic. I was hoping for more.

Also, I like cookbooks with lots of pictures. There are 8 pages in the middle of the cookbook with pics and that it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 11, 2014 10:34:25 AM PST
Wonderland says:
Thanks you for this review! I am also a vegan cookbook junkie, and am grateful I read your review before purchasing. I drool and swoon over elegant pictures and recipes that are out of the box, but also realize the value of books like this for newbies who would look at my fav books as overwhelming and complicated. I will keep this one on the possible gift ideas list, thanks again!

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 3:41:08 PM PST
As a newbie, this lets me know the book might be good for me. I'm glad you guys let us know it is very basic--just what I need!

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 5:21:40 PM PST
Amy says:
Thanks for your review. I am really looking for veggie recipes but i was just asking myself.. I wonder if there are many pictures. I love pictures. I think i'll look at it in the store first. thanks.

Posted on Feb 16, 2014 6:23:12 AM PST
A Reader says:
So why give it two stars?

OK, it's not for you. That doesn't mean it's bad. From other reviews, it sounds like it's great for people new to cooking vegan recipes.

When you review a book, don't ask yourself, "did the author cater to what I want?" (Because that's what you did.) Ask yourself, "did the author succeed in what they set out to do?" I hate horror movies, but I can still give 'The Silence of the Lambs' 5 stars, not because I want to own it or watch it again, but because I know it succeeds.

Posted on Feb 17, 2014 10:26:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2014 10:26:47 AM PST
A. Miller says:
As a Vegan myself and who's not new to the lifestyle I appreciate what she said Jason so lay off. It's not like she didn't explain in her review why she gave it 2 stars so those new to Veganism can make their choice appropriately. Melinda even found it helpful.
As for myself, I will continue to look at more books from Isa Chandra Moskowitz and those Vegan looking for some good options to have Southwestern/Latino/Hispanic cooking, Terry Hope Romero fills a hole that seemed to me to be lacking for all of us. That comment goes especially to both Moe and Ashley as I'm sure you both know what I mean.

Posted on Feb 20, 2014 7:07:07 PM PST
My understanding that her reason for writing the cook book was not to provide new and different recipes for Vegans but to provide recipes that non-vegans can eat and actually enjoy.

Posted on Feb 21, 2014 7:18:20 PM PST
J. Hobbs says:
You say " It is a great cook book for a beginner cook or someone new to veganism" and your are correct in your assessment, yet you only give it 2 stars. What were you expecting? If you had read the "Look Inside" preview you could have easily determined that the intended audience was meant to be "someone new to veganism."
The book clearly deserves, at the very least 4 stars. I personally give it 5.
Please consider revising your review.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2014 5:41:25 AM PST
Shelly420 says:
You're telling someone how they should review a book? Good grief. Who made you the Amazon book police?

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 8:59:09 AM PST
I can understand 2 stars for only 8 pages of pictures. If it's a beginner's book, there should be a LOT of pictures.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2014 3:44:04 PM PST
J. Bohm says:
Why capitalize the words 'vegan' and 'veganism'?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›