4.0 out of 5 stars Cat & Bones: Still Great on Their Worst Day, February 22, 2011
This review is from: This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, Book 5) (Mass Market Paperback)
It's been a long wait for a new Cat & Bones book. And though I was glad to be back with two of my favorite characters, it didn't quite enthrall me as much as the previous installments. Don't get me wrong, the Night Huntress series on a bad day, is still leaps and bounds ahead of most books on their best days. Some of the dialogue was laugh-out-loud funny. I love our characters and the great world Jeaniene Frost has built around them. But noticeably absent in this installment is any tension between Cat and Bones. Of course, at a certain point it is laughable to think anything can come between these two. But the tension present in every book before this one helped make them explosive. Here, we had one memorable sex scene, which frankly had me more distracted by the practicality of the abundant use of hot wax, than allowing me to really get into the moment.

The premise for this story is that the ghouls are still pushing the idea of war against the vampires. And Cat is their rallying point, with the unusual talents she has manifested. She and Bones go back to New Orleans to consult with Marie Laveau who boosts Cat with some black magic mojo. In the meantime, Cat reaches out to her network of friends to try to stop the war from happening.

To me, the threat just didn't seem as in-your-face as in times past. I never felt real danger. I was only really moved with the surprising storyline surrounding Don. And other than with him, I didn't feel the same connection I usually do with the supporting characters.

I don't want to sound like I'm disparaging the book, because I did enjoy it.... just not as much as the ones that came before. I look forward to our next installment. 4 stars.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 22, 2011 8:42:30 PM PST
Jen, I have read your reviews in the past and they have often been the deciding factor in whether I purchase a book or not. You really know how to get to the heart of the story. Great job!

I must agree that this latest book for Cat and Bones was slower than previous ones and lacked some of the fire from before. Yet at the same time I was glad to see the couple get a break from their internal problems so they could face the external as a united front. This will probably lull us into a false sense of security before the succeeding books mess it all up again. At least, I hope that is what Jeaniene is up to! She does have a another four books to go.

Out of curiosity, what did you think of the sneak peak into the next book? I didn't see it coming as far as what the next threat will be. Should be interesting.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2011 8:57:23 PM PST
Thank you, Suzie! I felt torn about the relationship progression between Cat & Bones. Part of me was really proud of Cat for her growth. But when I was really honest with myself, some of the best fire between her and Bones came with angst. And their fire is one of the best parts of the series, at least for me.

As for the preview... I didn't read it. I have a really hard time disengaging from my favorite characters. I almost never read teasers because it makes the wait even harder for me. --I read the first two chapters of Shadowfever two days before that book was released and I swear I was kicking myself for the entire 48 hours until I could read the whole thing! I avoid spoilers for the same reason. But I am really excited that we'll have a second book in the same calendar year. So often, the releases slow down to one per year when a series takes off.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2011 9:08:50 PM PST
I understand what you mean about the fire between Cat and Bones. It does add to the overall excitement to the book. I missed it as well, but chalk it up to making any later conflict between the two even more meaningful. Hopefully, I'm right on that.

You are probably smarter than I to not read the teasers ahead of time. If I was wiser, I wouldn't either. It's like peaking at your Christmas presents early, lol. Definitely made the waiting that much harder. I am glad the next book release this year as well. Looks like we will see Vlad's books after that. Definitely want to see what kind of woman Jeaniene gives him.

Posted on Mar 3, 2011 10:18:14 AM PST
This is exactly how I felt about the book. The last one was just so. much. more? Although I did enjoy it.. I also felt sort of let down. I think the long wait with the two spinoffs gave us all really high expectations. I hope the next one is better.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (281 customer reviews)

$7.99