Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Maxwell Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, with caveats, September 24, 2012
This review is from: STM Opera Case for iPhone 5/5S - Black (322-018D-01) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
The fit is close to perfection. It is tight and takes some gentle pressure to get it on. For me that is a good thing. I tend to leave my case on all the time and rarely have any need to take it out.

The tight fit and design almost makes the case disappear. I am fully enjoying the new slimmer design of the iPhone 5 and this case doesn't take away from the experience.

I love the feel of the TPU material. Soft, almost velvety, yet with enough resistance so it doesn't easily slip out of your hand.

I like the pattern on the back. The manufacturer says it is inspired by the Sydney Opera House. To me it looks like tire treads.

All the ports are easily accessible and the cutouts are nicely contoured. The opening for the camera is big enough to avoid glare problems from the flash.

The case feels like it will provide excellent protection. And the lip on the front means that the glass will never touch the surface when I place it upside down on a table.

Overall, I am very pleased and actually quite surprised. Given that this case was created *prior* to the iPhone 5 launch, I had my doubts and only ordered it so that I would have something to use on the day the new phone came out. I am happy with the fit and quality. Good job STM!

UPDATE: To clarify, there are couple potential negatives of this case, depending on what you are looking for:

1) The tight fit (already mentioned) is a plus for me as I very rarely remove cases. But if you need to remove it often, this may become a hassle.

2) The cutouts for the buttons are just that ... cutouts. The last case I had (on my iPhone 4S) had little rubber buttons placed over the volume and power buttons. This provides a bit more protection (from moisture, etc.) and for some might be easier to use. I am finding that I like the approach on this case. There is very little way to press the buttons accidentally and I like the tactile feel of using the actual button. But if you have large fingers or long fingernails, it might be difficult to easily access the buttons.

AND ANOTHER UPDATE: It is just a case, right? But I enjoy detailed reviews when buying a product. So I thought it worth noting an additional nitpick. For some reason, the top part of the case is not completely flat when on the phone. On the other three edges, I can balance the phone in the case, but on the top, it has a *very* slight curve. Most people would not notice this at all and it is not annoying enough to cause me grief, but I am taking a star away because of it.

This is so minor it could be just an issue with my particular case, or it may be a result of the very tight fit. As I mentioned before, I see the tight fit as a bonus. This case has absolutely no give when on the phone, making the case sort of disappear.

Even with these caveats, I remain happy with the case and it works great for my needs.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 1, 2012 4:38:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 1, 2012 4:42:34 AM PDT
Bymore says:
Enjoyed your excellent review. I have the exact same case and mine also has the slight curve on the top edge so it must not be just yours. Overall I like the case and the white contrast with my black 64GB. First time using a white case so time will tell as far as dirt. Rear pattern does look like tire tread but seems to add to grip. Actually curve does not cause problem and may even help with orientation at a glance.

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 5:20:26 AM PDT
Muddy2066 says:
Appreciate your review David. Very comprehensive. I also have the same case and mine also has the same slight curve on the top edge. Only mildly annoying. The "feel" of the case is quite good. Not rubbery and not hard. Back of case does appear more like tyre tread than Sydney Opera House tiles. Slides into pocket quite OK - doesn't get caught on trouser material. Isn't too slippery that it feels like it would slide out of your hand. Sits on car centre console quite well. Adds very little thickness to the iPhone.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 7:02:32 PM PDT
Frank B says:
I also have this slight curve on top. Can't seem to get rid of it no matter what I do!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2013 11:05:23 PM PDT
Keeper™ says:
Just a small question: Is it a tight fit?

Appreciate the nice review and updates.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2013 6:00:36 PM PDT
Yes, it is a tight fit, no wiggling at all. But also easy enough to take on / off (though I rarely do so). FYI, I have had this case since I got the iPhone 5 and am still pleased with it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›