Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

1.0 out of 5 stars I feel duped, December 30, 2010
This review is from: The Viking's Captive (Viking I) (Mass Market Paperback)
As Sandra Hills website will not let you email her there, I'm putting putting this here, as I bought it here. It's a great book, the original title is My Fair Viking. This rating is not based on the book, but on the marketing to put the same book out with a different name and cover.

I have to say that I am not happy at all with your marketing ploy of re-releasing a book with a different name and cover. I didn't even read what My Viking's Captive was about, I just clicked "pre-order" at Amazon cause I wouldn't have wanted to miss one single Viking book and I knew I never seen that title before. I just got it today, picked it up, read about it and find it's Tyra's story. I feel duped! I feel lied to. I don't think you're going to win many reader's with this one. My Fair Viking was great on it's own, it's cover was great, it's title was great, there was no need to change anything. And then to put it out as NEW??? Shame on you Ms. Hill. I am very disappointed.

PS your webmail won't even let me email you! Shame again!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 30, 2010 3:51:53 PM PST
Dian says:
I've done the same thing with Hannah Howell's books.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2010 2:45:52 PM PST
beachmomma says:
If you had gone to Sandra Hills website, it tells you that her books were being reissued, it also tells you on the amazon site that describes the books you are buying that this was a reissue. I know how you feel as I have bought books like this myself but I had to take the blame I just didn't pay enough attention and can't blame the author.

Posted on Jan 1, 2011 9:32:45 PM PST
You have 7 days to make a return from what I was told!

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 11:41:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 26, 2011 5:29:05 PM PST
Guess Who says:
Oh no you didn't!
Don't go dissin Sandra Hill.

I found Sandra Hill's email address on her website: shill733@aol.com This email address is at the bottom of her Profile page http://sandrahill.net/bio.html.

Also, Sandra Hill sent out a newsletter to her fans and has this information on her website letting everyone know that My Fair Viking becomes The Viking's Captive and also in this reissue, due to reader demand, she unkills Selik and Rain http://sandrahill.net/news.html .

I'm just a Sandra Hill fan too and I would be very disappointed if I would have bought The Viking's Captive and not known it was a reissue of My Fair Viking but Sandra Hill did put the information on her website. It's still there for her fans to read.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2011 6:19:45 AM PST
mayfayre says:
You shouldn't have to read an author's website before buying a book, though. The cover should be clearly labeled that it is a renamed reissue.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2011 5:28:28 PM PST
Guess Who says:
Printed on the book cover under The Vikings Captive it says "Originally Published As My Fair Viking."

Posted on Jan 29, 2011 11:02:30 PM PST
Hi, K. If you just automatically ordered Sandra's books, i can see how you got this book and feel cheated and betraid. I get Sandra's email letters so i knew that this was a re-write (with modifications), but i can see how you do feel this way if you hadn't known about this fact when you ordered it. I email Sandra myself, so i am not understanding the reasons that you weren't able to concact her. I hope this won't put you off from any of her other books (oh, by the way, you may want to check any of her other new releases because she has rewritten a couple/three of her other books, too ... although the changes she made are supposed to be good.) gail vl

Posted on Apr 26, 2011 7:41:00 AM PDT
Dagian Jade says:
I'm right there with you, K. Every author that has suddenly become 'hot' has had their old books re-released with new covers. I used to work at B&N, and I can't name how many authors this has happened with--their publishers obviously want to make a few more bucks!! Even authors that haven't published anything for years are having their old books 'face-lifted' and released again. Or the ever famous "I added a new chapter so it's a new book" ploy. (OR the ever famous--"Now that they have a following, let's change from paperbacks to publsihing all their new stuff in Hardback, so the book price shoots from $7.99 to $26.95 a book.") Anyone else not happy that this has happened with Charlaine Harris, Patricia Briggs, JR Ward, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Laurell K, Kim Harrison, Jim Butcher, Karen Moning, just to name a few????

I'm a visual person and can look at the front cover and remember whether or not I've read the book. I quickly learned to turn the thing over and read the synopsis to jog my memory. But... the deceptive publishers are famous for rewriting the synopsis until you can hardly recognize the book you once read. Shame on the publsihers, but shame on the authors for allowing this to happen. One author denied that she was motivated by greed, but was 'trying to reach a new audience.' Fine, then don't allow the publsihers to completely modify the first book and you won't allienate your 'old', loyal readers. You don't need new cover art every time the book gets published. One author (who has become so obnoxious I won't give her the satisfaction of stating her name here), has had one book publsihed with at least 5 different covers in the past decade or so (and that doesn't include Internation versions that ALWAYS have a different cover than their American counterparts.)

Anyway, thanks for my rant, Amazon. And for those of you who muddled through it. I never post on here, but this issue just gets me upset, particularly in this economy when most of us have to save to but a 'new' book by our favorite authors.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2011 2:53:21 AM PDT
Anna says:
I am so glad that she "unkilled" Selik and Rain! Because of that, I happily purchased the reissued book, and can't wait to read it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 2:09:41 PM PDT