Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Amazon Gift Card Offer gdwf gdwf gdwf  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Halloween

2.0 out of 5 stars THINK TWICE BEFORE BUYING THIS, October 5, 2011
This review is from: How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age (Hardcover)
Do you like awful jargon? Bad writing? Meaningless "improvements"? Do you really want to buy a book with gobbledygook sentences like "Today's biggest enemy of lasting influence is the sector of both personal and corporate musing that concerns itself with the art of creating impressions without consulting the science of need ascertainment"?

Frankly, this unfortunate "revision and updating" of the Carnegie book is a big step backward---a step you can avoid making by buying the original book, which is actually very readable. Whereas this "new" version is so full of mind-numbing jargon you'll want to pull your hair out.

Conclusion: Either this book is a tranparent ploy to make money, regardless of the quality of the work, or the book's owners employed the wrong people to "revise and update" it. Not sure which it is. But the effort did go awry.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 9, 2011 10:12:39 AM PST
Betty Wise says:
I totally agree. I borrowed a copy from the library yesterday and found it poorly written and can not be compared to the original Carnegie book. I'm returning it today.

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 8:50:14 AM PST
J. Blackmun says:
Thanks for the heads up. I own the original and have read multiple x's. Ready to get the kindle version and read again but will buy the original. Given the proliferation of email and social media this concept has some teeth, but I will stick with the classic along with whatever measure of common sense I've been able to develop.

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 12:24:50 PM PST
Larry Jones says:
This review by "Avid reader, occasional reviewer" was extremely helpful! It alone has made me decide to go out and buy the original instead of this one. Like "J. Blackmun" said: Thanks for the heads up!

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 8:31:41 AM PST
I appreciate the honesty and the heads up. I loved the original - and was planning to use it as part of an ongoing study group I am involved in. I will take a look at the digital age version - but I really find it discouraging when formerly great works are watered down with psychobabble. I am not judging the new version until I read it, but I greatly appreciate the content of this posting.

Posted on May 11, 2012 4:55:27 AM PDT
Melanie L says:
I disagree. To me, the book was written in simple, easy-to-grasp terms, while touching on what it takes to communicate effectively in today's Digital Age.

Posted on May 14, 2012 12:30:34 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 14, 2012 12:30:45 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 6:31:05 AM PDT
Lone Ranger says:

Posted on Aug 16, 2013 8:30:10 AM PDT
C. H. Babb says:
I read the book and one of the main things I took from it was how damaging, useless and energy-sapping snark can be. As the writers note, snark is chic these days and it is spewed all over all of us by a number of noisy internet commenters hiding behind fake names. I like how your comment just epitomizes that.

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 8:19:56 PM PDT
Stephen Hoff says:
I opened it up to just glance at it at a Fedex office center and ended up sitting down there to read the chapter, Never say, "You're Wrong", and it really helped me see things differently in a situation from just the day before in which I was convinced I was right and made that very clear to the other person, (my mom), without there being any possibility that it was any other way. That is not a recipe for successful relationships. (I did call and apologize). The main thing is that it helped me to see the situation in a whole different way.
In the one chapter I read there was not any of the clunky writing style that the reviewer above noted. I will purchase a copy.

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 7:03:07 AM PDT
E'lona says:
Well, I guess I'll stick to the original book I have! I almost DIED laughing at that sentence. I have 2 Masters Degrees and still found myself trying to break down that sentence... Still trying O.o
‹ Previous 1 Next ›