3.0 out of 5 stars Shutter lag is HORRIBLE if you have kids!, March 18, 2011
This review is from: Canon Powershot A3300 IS 16 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom (Red) (Electronics)
I received this and quickly put it back in the box to return as soon as I tried shooting photos of my kids. I wanted a point and shoot to fit in my purse for those unexpected "Kodak Moments" but it literally takes 2 seconds after you press the button to snap the shot. Very frustrating as a parent! It takes nice pics otherwise. But read up on the shutter lag - the part they don't advertise.

[...]

We ended up getting the Nikon S8100. MUCH better for a quick point and shoot. I also love the scene selector - it selects the right scene for the conditions you're in. Not as high MP as the A3300, but unless you plan on printing out massive images, the S8100 is awesome. It has 10x optical zoom AND one touch button HD movie mode. Check it out!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 23, 2011 12:19:07 PM PDT
So where's your actual review of the Nikon S8100 ???

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2011 1:38:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 23, 2011 1:42:14 PM PDT
Mrs. Francis says:
Thanks for thinking so much of my opinion! The A3300 hasn't been reviewed yet and I thought I'd give my 2 cents for the next person. The S8100 has quite a few and didn't think it was worth my time at that moment. I think I gave a pretty good synopsis here, but if you're interested, there are some other great reviews on the S8100 here: Nikon Coolpix S8100 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 10x Optical Zoom-Nikkor ED Lens and 3.0-Inch LCD (Black)

Also, my link didn't show up for some reason for the shutter lag comparison chart:

www dot cameras.co.uk/html/shutter-lag-comparisons dot cfm

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2011 6:05:56 AM PDT
You're very welcome. The link you posted is indeed interesting (others: replace the word "dot" with a "."). Problem is they tested a Canon PS A3100 vs. this camera the A3300. The A3300 is the newer model replacing the A3100. I gave my daughter a A3100 so she could always have a small camera on her to capture those "Kodak" moments of her 4yr old and 11month old darlings (my grandchildren). It's worked out as expected, great! When at home she keeps her DSLR somewhat handy for truly quick, successive photos.
As an afterthought the Nikon S8100 sells for about $50.00 more than the newly introduced Canon A3300. The web site you referenced rates the Canon A3100 at 84 and the Nikon S8000 at 85.
Happy photo snapping!

Posted on May 11, 2011 6:18:25 PM PDT
NC Mommy says:
I have to agree with this review. The features are nice but the shutter lag is terrible. I tried to take pictures of my children playing in the yard. Half was blurry/out of focus and it really failed to capture the moment. Im returning this camera. Quite dissappointed as I was very excited about this purchase.

Posted on May 22, 2011 9:00:30 AM PDT
Dee Durbin says:
Thank you for that review. I wish I had read it before I bought my Canon A3300IS. That shutter delay is the worst. And it is too bad, since it is taking away from all the positives of this camera. I even contacted Canon and all I got was the general reply as expected, so definitely going back.

Posted on Jul 8, 2011 1:07:30 PM PDT
Thank you! I think this is the best product review I've read. I am looking for a camera for the exact reasons you listed. Shutter lag is a huge bone of contention with me, my kodak easyshare just died, and that is the one of very few things I didn't like about that camera, and one of the most important features I am looking for in a new camera.

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 12:11:08 PM PDT