1.0 out of 5 stars Drobo erased all my data, July 29, 2012
This review is from: Drobo Beyond Raid 4-Bay USB 2.0/FireWire 800 SATA 6GB/S Storage Array with Drobo PC Backup (Personal Computers)
My first Drobo from 2008 was irreparable broken according to Drobo Tech Support so I asked them if I can buy another compatible unit that allows me to just continue to use my existing hard drives and not lose all my data through the initial setup where normally a Drobo will erase all the data and reformat the drives according to my research.

Drobo Technical Support said I would be fine and then told me to contact the Sales department team for a discount on a new Drobo since I am already an existing Drobo user. Long story short, the Sales team never offered me any discounted Drobo but both departments reassured me that the data will not get deleted.

After finally taking the step of buying a new Drobo and overcoming my fear that all my data will be erased I purchased the equivalent unit to make sure I can just continue using my data. Wrong, after following the steps from Drobo, the new Drobo still erased ALL my data from the past 20 years since I started using a computer, files from my school, university, my entire music collection, every photo I ever took or scanned, all my government issued documents, my original files of my book, etc.

We contacted Drobo again and they basically said they are warning their customers in every possible way with articles on the website that this can happen...

Are you kidding me, Drobo? I did all the research and that's why I contacted Drobo in the first place to ask if my data won't be erased and now Drobo tells me they are warning their customers in every way and it's basically my own fault!?

We are currently in talk with Drobo again who might offer a free software recovery tool to retrieve the data...

Update 11/23/2012: After almost 4 months it looks like the company is not willing to help me. They have not refunded the Drobo nor did I get any reimbursement for the caused damages nor did they try to retrieve the data. They simply said that's how the Drobo works, which is: it erases all your data before the screen prompt asks you if you want to format the drives. So, even when you choose at this point to say 'No', it is already too late. After pointing out this flaw they just shrugged it off as a design choice to not have to many prompts for the user in order to make it as simple as possible. Their simple solution is to have all the data wiped even if the user does not want that. It is really too bad that I listened to their technical support and their sales department that assured me that swapping my old and broken Drobo with a new one actually works. It does not.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 8, 2013 6:54:40 AM PST
NeilR says:
I and many, many many people have migrated Drobo disk packs from one machine to another and even one model to another (assuming they are models with upward migration capability). In my case I went from a Drobo V2 to a Drobo S. Of course, my original Drobo was working at the time and the pack was healthy. Perhaps whatever happened to your original Drobo also killed the volumes.

All data storage needs to be backed up. There is no such thing as "Fail Safe" storage. Stuff happens.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›