2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, September 3, 2005
This review is from: 48 Days To The Work You Love (Hardcover)
I listen to Dave Ramsey every day and read his books, I really think he's on the ball with his advice and helping people a lot. I can also understand why he advertises and endorses Dan Miller; Miller's heart is clearly in the right place and Im sure he's amazing as a one-on-one job counseler. But this book isn't anything special. I just got off the job hunt and I have to say that much of this advice can be found for free, on the internet, and is part of the whole college experience (which is about finding what you like to do and studying it in further detail). The book mainly says, "look and find out what you really want to do", "go find companies that do it", "let your enthusiasm show" and "negotiate shrewdly". Yes, this is all good advice, but its mostly common sense - you dont need to spend $20 to learn this advice.

So, you know, maybe Im too young and optimistic, but I really dont see the point or need for a book like this. Dave Ramsey, yes absolutely - everyone should listen to him. But Miller and his book - no, unless you go directly to him for job counseling. This book is much too general and non-commital to be of much use.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 14, 2007 5:33:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 14, 2007 5:36:24 PM PDT
K. Cook says:
I'll cut you some slack since you're still young...

Dave is awesome, not because of what he teaches (its all pretty much common sense), but because of his motivational ability. It's all about motivation.

We all start out doing something we think we will like (or at least make a lot of money at so we can enjoy life a certain way). You will soon learn that along the way we all make compromises to one degree or another and for many people that results in a situation that really sucks. This book is a motivational tool to get you back on track. If you are not stuck in a job you really don't like, then this book is just not for you. If you are, it offers some help (in the form of motivation) to get you where you want to be.

Posted on Feb 14, 2008 3:17:33 PM PST
I'd like to see it as in that Dave Ramsey helps you with your finances while Dan Miller helps you with your career. Anyway, it sounds like to me you haven't read the whole book. I guarantee you that you will find a lot of useful information. Dan Miller also has a podcast on iTunes. I recommend everyone to check it out.

There is no guarantee that just because you go to college then you will find your true calling or you will automatically know what to do with your life. I personally know a lot people in college who still don't know what they want to major in. If you read Dan's book or listen to his Podcast then you'd be suprised by his response to this.

Posted on Mar 2, 2008 12:21:12 AM PST
Nalla62 says:
Sorry to the two who commented: I agree with the poster; the book is nothing special. I even bought the workbook. I didn't need a book to tell me to figure out my dreams, look into said dreams, look for jobs regarding said dream, yada yada yada. I totally endorse Dave Ramsey, though, as well. The first priority in my life is to use his Total Money Makeover books, get out of debt for good, THEN I can do what I "dream of doing" without the stress of "having to work".

Posted on Mar 26, 2008 7:22:27 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 28, 2010 7:48:32 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 3, 2008 11:16:12 AM PDT
D. Collier says:
A lot of what Dave says is common sense as well. Unfortunately, common sense (and here, I am as guilty as anyone else) is the most often forgotten stuff. And therefore, the debate should not be whether we need to be reminded of common sense, but rather who can remind us of common sense in the most unique and creative ways. So, I disagree with you, but it was a very well-written and thought-out review.

Posted on Oct 11, 2008 5:05:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 11, 2008 5:06:30 AM PDT
Gary Fisher says:
Thanks for your well-written review. For those to whom "the whole college experience" is recent and whose enthusiasm and optimism are unchecked you've made some good points. Dan Miller has indeed tapped into the positive mindset and self-confidence of youth, and may be less relevant to the recent graduate.

For everyone who's found themselves in a dead-end job or career, however, or whose college experience is more than a few years old or perhaps even nonexistent, or -- perhaps worst of all -- who have suddenly found their training and experience are "no longer required" by an employer, Dan has the proven ability to inspire or restore the youthful enthusiasm which once filled each of us as we saw the future full of endless possibilities and opportunities. Some of Dan's best "students" are people who have come to realize from his books and materials that getting laid off, "downsized," "offshored" or even fired can be the most positive experience in a career, the springboard from which to dive into a future which might before have seemed too difficult or too risky to pursue, not an ignoble end but an invigorating new beginning.

If you're fresh out of school and full of optimism, put the skills you've learned to work in the job market. Just be aware that the person you'll be asking for a job may well have reached that position by putting Dan Miller's ideas into practice. Dave Ramsey teaches people how to get the most out of their finances; Dan Miller gives people the tools to recognize and make the most of their God-given abilities.

Posted on Oct 26, 2008 4:35:37 AM PDT
Jason Fitch says:
Whether the book is special or not is not the point. The logic of this review is a little off. Obviously every idea in every book on the market today is a repeat of something earlier. As adults we almost never need to learn new information, but we need to be reminded of what we already know. A wake up call is much more valuable than a lesson, in most cases.

Posted on Nov 6, 2008 1:55:39 PM PST
When I purchased this book, it was with the understanding that Dan was going to help me on a journey to discover what my real passions in life are, what are my innate skills and strengths, and how to best go about deciding what vocation I really need to be pursuing (not job or career).

I was quickly disappointed to find out that only the first portion of the book addressed my wishes at all. The majority of the book was traditional how-to-get-a-job advice that frankly is a repeat from lots of other sources. I would have appreciated much more in the way of how to tap into my God given abilities. My advice is if you have to read it, check it out of the library. Otherwise, don't waste the money on it.

Posted on Jul 6, 2009 8:34:39 AM PDT
M. Wright says:
I have done career assessment for high school students, as a volunteer parent. I listen to and most recently purchased Dave Ramsey's material and Dan Miller's Interactive Work book for both myself and our adult son. The work book helped us to reevaluate and further refine our career choices. We especially appreciated the non-tradional section. As an avid reader I have not seen in writing the some of the advice about the best procedure for approaching companies for an interview; however, yes, even common sense tactics are very much worth repeating (or writing) again. Mr. Dan Miller's book offers reassurance and encouragement for those that are uncertain about themselves, perhaps only momentarily. Sometimes we all need to re-adjust our focus. While the book may have not helped you and 110 other people, I ask you to please reconsider others, who are perhaps less aware than you or who have less exposure to good common sense sound advice and direction, before you even bother to write a negative review for any other book. The wisdon of outlining and getting "back to basics" is always worth the price. I am surprised that you 111 people did not highly regard Mr. Dave Ramsey's expertise and referral to read Mr. Dan Miller's most excellent book. I trust that you will continue to pass your youthful wisdom and enthusiasm about Mr. Dave Ramsey's financial insightfulness onto others. Thanks for sharing.

mmwright54

Posted on Aug 12, 2009 11:56:17 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 16, 2009 2:50:48 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (216 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $0.01