5.0 out of 5 stars My boys are back!, September 13, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Ratchet & Clank Collection (Video Game)
The Sly Cooper HD collection? Check!
The Jak and Daxter HD collection? Check!
The Ratchet and Clank HD collection? Check!

Now I have all of my favorite PS2 games on my PS3! Anything else that comes out is icing on the cake!

Let me first start off by saying that I have been looking forward to this release for a LONG time. It was finally released and I waited for two weeks for it to show up in the local Best Buy, but it didn't. Finally, my impatience took over and I drove all the way from my place to another BB store that had it in stock. The other store was about 20-30 miles, but I really wanted it. I can only say that the drive was totally worth it. I bought my first two PS2 HD collections for full price and I bought this one as well for full price. ($29.99) Luckily, I had traded in about 5 or 6 older games, so this collection cost me nothing out of pocket AND I was able to buy two of the R&C Future titles as well. :)

Let the review begin!

Ratchet and Clank: This was the first one. The one that started it all. And I was about to experience it in it's full remastered HD glory. This was gonna be awesome. Armed with a PS3 controller in my hands and a beer by my side, I was ready for it. As soon as the game turned on, (after the cutscenes) I was blown away. I was shocked to see what these developers had done to buff out these gems that I treasured so much as a kid. I was hooked all over again. The visuals and sound are incredible. It was a very obvious change to HD, at least for me. I have beaten the game and gotten MOST of the cool stuff. Drek, the final boss, was as tough as ever to beat. (Without a RYNO, which I still don't have yet.) The gameplay is as fluid as it ever was. The humor and charm from the original games carries over to the PS3 nicely. The trophies are a nice touch and really give you an incentive to keep playing the game. They aren't easy, either. For instance, one of the trophies is to collect one million bolts. It may sound easy from this review, but it is anything but. I enjoy games with tough trophies, because they present a challenge, which is something I really enjoy in a video game. Anyways, I digress. Insomniac started something amazing with this title and they, along with everyone who played it, knew it.

Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando: Another winner! This was Insomniac's second title in the R&C series and boy, is it a keeper. Just like the first one, the HD is ever-present in the visuals and sound. The gameplay is fluid, as usual, and the trophies are just as challenging as the first game. In the second one, Insomniac introduced awesome new tweaks and additions to the Ratchet and Clank title; ship upgrading, weapon leveling, armor, and a new breed of crazy weapons. My personal favorite is one that turns enemies into sheep. You lose the bolts that you could gain by just knocking the enemy out, but it has saved my bacon on more than one occasion. Not to mention it's good for a laugh or two. Speaking of laughs, the character interactions are awesome in this game. The R&C games have always had a good sense of humor in them and this one is no different. It's a good game for brightening your mood if you're angry. I mean, you get to break stuff, kill enemies, AND you get to laugh! How can you not feel better? This title is my personal favorite in the original trilogy and it carries well to the PS3.

Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal: I haven't played this one yet, but if it's an HD remaster of the original Up Your Arsenal, it is sure to be fun! I will update this portion of my review once I play through it and get some time on it.

BONUS - Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time Demo: As a loyal fan to the thieving raccoon, I was stoked even more than usual to hear that this was going to be bundled with this collection! I haven't used my code yet, but I played this demo at a friend's house and it was awesome. We ended up playing it about 7 or 8 times through because it's a great demo and we were having a blast with it. I was a bit skeptical at first to hear that Sucker Punch was not going to be behind this game, but I think Sanzaru Games has done an exceptional job with it. They did a remarkable job on remastering the original Sly trilogy and it's very clear to me that they don't want to see this series go down in flames. For Thieves in Time, they went the distance. What I mean by that is that they were able to get the original voice actors for all of the characters, including Sly, Murray, and Bentley. They also got the music composer from the original three titles involved on this as well. After playing the demo, it's clear that the elements of the originals developed by Sucker Punch have been carried on into this game. I welcome this game with open arms when it releases. Hopefully, Sanzaru will put this much effort into the Sly games they hopefully develop in the future, because if they do, I will buy every single Sly game they develop.

Overall, this package has a lot to offer for old, faithful fans and new fans alike. Especially for the price. I mean, for $30, you get the original 3 R&C titles, remastered in glorious HD AND you get early access to the Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time demo. What's not to like?

Also, I haven't encountered any bugs that other reviewers are claiming. My games, knock on wood, have been solid as steel. I'm just saying.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]