5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, January 11, 2014
This review is from: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Administration: Real World Skills for Red Hat Administrators (Paperback)
I have just completed this book (bar the hands on labs at the end).
I used my wife's laptop to carry out the exercises in the book :)

I found the book to be excellent, taking you from complete beginnings - intro to Unix, how to get the evaluation copy of RedHat and guide you through installation.
Unix/Linux can be overwhelming to the novice with having to master the command line and learning about all the commands and then all the various switches and how to use the commands.
This book does an excellent job at dissecting Linux and the reader being able to digest each topic a byte :) at a time. Each chapter being modular and you quickly find your skills building up and confidence improving.

The book does a good job at covering a wide array of topics including high availability clustering, which was quite cool to watch services being switch to another node as you pull the plug on the active node.

Ok, the typos, command line errors and a couple exercises that don't work as is (some easily rectified), yes there are a fair number of typos, but in the main these are very easily spotted. There are a number of command line errors which can be spotted or require a quick google. I found this helps aid learning, as having to solve problems and fix bugs is part of being a sys admin. If you just did everything in the exercises and it just worked, you would probably learn less then by fixing things that didn't work. So yes some exercises did cause me a bit of pain and quite some time trying to get things to work, but in the end I learn't a lot from it and it sticks in your head more.

After the first 100 pages, given the number of typos/mistakes I had already come across, I started writing my own errata. I did download the author's errata but this only covers some of the errors. I have emailed a copy to the author. If anyone would like a copy of my errata please feel free to contact me.

This book for me, is still hands down an excellent book, people need to concentrate on the excellent content which the author has done a superb job at breaking down and conveying in simple English.

I'm quite surprised by only a handful of reviews, for me this would be up there as the definitive Red Hat book to get.

5 stars well deserved.