5.0 out of 5 stars comfortabe & natural viewing, March 23, 2011
This review is from: LG Infinia 55LW5600 55-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 120 Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV and Four Pairs of 3D Glasses (2011 Model) (Electronics)
I was choosing bet. this lg lw5600 and samsung d8000 and came to choose lg.
I went to my nearby store and cafully watched thses tvs for 20 minutes each.
samsung has detail and sharp but that doesnt mean lg is not. I think samsung has done exceptional job on this regard this year.
I was mainly looking closely how the 3d performs as 2d area is already good on todays tvs.
overall, lg gave more comfortable, flicker-free, bright, and best of all, natural 3d experence.
If i didnt compare directly, I also would have liked samsung as samsung didnt feel much of a flickering or cross talks if any.
but when seen side by side, the difference is apparent easily.
lg gave not only natural, comfortable image on the screen, its hard to put in words, but overall everything feels simply simplified and just comfortable to watch.
Compare to lg, samsung gave rather darker image, too.
also, for fast moving scene samsung give a little judder looking artifacts as if the glass shutter couldnt catch up the speed of the scene. Whereas lg simply doesnt have issue with having passive system.
some people say passive cuts resolusion in halves so you see lines between lines.
you do see these line when you get really close to the tv. But when sit back farther distance you would normally watch, thses little lines disapper. But just like you know shutter glass are flickering in front of your eyes, and it makes you uncomfortable, this lines on lg, even though might not visible in normal distance, might make you uncomfortable.

so I think which one you value more.
To me, lg has overall better image on my eyes, that is, no flicker or crosstalk whatsoever, much bright image, and natural viewing without feeling of any artifacts.

I guess I can summarize like this.
samsung feels like some high tech glass is doing fine job in front of your eyes to create 3d, and lg simply feel you're not wearing any glasses at all. when you are immersed into the content, glass simply disappears from your awareness.

I highly recommand this tv.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 19, 2011 7:57:28 PM PDT
Hi Chris. May I ask how close you would have to be sitting near the screen in order to see the lines which you spoke of? About how far away would it be necessary to sit from the screen in order to have that perfectly natural 3D experience? Thanks in advance!

Posted on May 6, 2011 7:17:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 6, 2011 7:17:56 PM PDT
Potion99 says:
Best buy just setup this tv on the show room today and it was hookup to the LG demo station. After looking at it for 20 minutes, 2D sharpness and contrast ratio is not that bright and sharp, 3D look little blurry to me and the pictures quality is also not so great either. The guy at best buy point it out because it only 540P in 3D and not Full 1080P, on LG website no where it stating that but if you dig deep enough the info is there.

Best buy still have the unc8000 and was listed clearance. For the pictures quality in 2d & 3d it still blow lg away any given day, since when viewing it in 3d it full 1080P.

Here the difference: Samsung unc8000 even with clearance tag (open box item no glass included) they still want $1800, where as LG brand new set best buy show on sale for $2k.

This particular samsung tv got to be done right otherwise they wouldn't listed for that much.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2011 11:29:29 AM PDT
Dear Potion99, allow me to point out a very clear and factual comparison between Samsung's flagship model {D8000} and LG's flagship model {LW9500}.

1) D8000: LCD Panel with Edge-Lit LEDs [standard-sized LEDs] {I was still able to notice bleeding of light around the edges, and some clouding}.
1) LW9500: Full-Array Direct-Imprinted Panel using "NANO LEDs" [new-technology micro-sized LEDs] {there is NO bleeding, and NO clouding whatsoever}.
2) D8000: Entire construction {aside from metal back cover} is made of light-weight plastic, which includes full plastic panel, full plastic border-frame with electro-plated chrome {made to look like metal}[same applies with entire stand construction]. I also witnessed the plastic border-frame slightly separating in at least one of the corner areas, which was obviously starting to come apart. I was able to very easily make an attempt at squeezing the frame back together, although that made no difference.
2) LW9500: Entire construction {aside from metal back cover} is made of pure SOLID genuine glass, which includes full SOLID genuine glass panel, and full SOLID genuine glass stand and neck.
3) D8000: Uses "Active 3D", which allow the glasses to display the picture at 50 frames-per-second, thus causing flicker.
3) LW9500: Uses "Passive 3D", which allow the TV directly to display the picture at 400 frames-per-second, thus being completely flicker-free.
NOTE: Although it has been stated that Passive 3D splits the resolution between both eyes, the human eyes cannot notice the difference in resolution reduction since our eyes are not made up of an advanced super-computer. The result is the exact same genuine Cinema 3D experience that {up until now} has only been witnessed in expensive high-end full-digital movie theatres.

Also, while watching the LW9500 {demonstration model at CES shows}, it literally didn't even matter what angle you looked at the screen; it still looked completely perfect {in either 2D or 3D}. However, other models {literally anything else other than the LW9500} looked less than perfect when compared to the LW9500. I would have to say that this seems obvious, since the LW9500 is the only screen on Earth right now that uses an entire Direct-Imprinted screen using strictly NANO LEDs and literally nothing else. The importance of the meaning of a "Direct-Imprinted" screen grid of these new-technology NANO LEDs compared to a non-Direct-Imprinted screen grid is crucial because, even other brands and models that employ the use of a Full-Array of LEDs actually shine the light either downwards, or upwards, or to the sides. However, the LW9500 is the first and only screen which not only uses a proprietary light dispersion metal film pattern, it's NANO LEDs also shine the light strictly forward, directly towards the glass screen itself. This has never been accomplished with any screen on Earth, except for the LW9500. This amazing feat alone, makes the LW9500 priceless when compared to anything else. So, my mind is strictly set on the 60LW9500, and as soon as it is in stock, I will be one of the first ones to order it. With regards to glare {reflections from external light sources}, it has been slightly improved, when compared to the 2010 model {LX9500}. However, here is my belief. Whenever I attend a high-end movie theatre, it is usually dark in there. Even when there are lights barely lit in those theatres, that alone makes me kind of upset. The best possible theatrical experiences happen when there are no external light distractions whatsoever. It seems completely obvious that LG used this very principle for their flagship. So, not only would I plan on using this screen mainly at night, I also have very dark and thick curtains to block the light as much as possible.

Here is a spectacular link consisting of all the fine details: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19983147

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2011 6:11:55 AM PDT
Just wanted to let everyone out there know that picture quality in 2D and 3D is much butter than what the demo station at Best Buy shows. LG only allows them to play the demo that is on a memory stick, which happens not to be uncompressed full hi-def. I asked them if they could play the same Bluray movie on the LG, Samsung, and also a Panasonic and Sony model, but they could not accommodate this request. The LG wouldn't even work when they put a Bluray disc into the player because the demo kept overriding the bluray player and they said they couldn't take out the memory stick (for whatever reason...). They were able to get a disc into the Samsung and it looked great, but the price was still out of my reach (I had them price match the LG for $1799 from Frys and I got 2 free movies). I took a chance on the LG because I really liked the ideal of the passive 3D glasses (the tv works just fine with the Theater Real 3D glasses, so I have like 20 pair now). I was very glad that I did, because when I hooked up some real hi-def content to it, the picture was great. I'm not quite sure how it compared to the Samsung because I didn't get to see them side by side, but over all I liked the color reproduction much better on the LG than what I remember of the Samsung. The Samsung colors seemed over saturated and bright (maybe to draw your attention to it in the stores). I'm sure you can calibrate it to make it better or put it in a different viewing mode, but fiddling around with the remote for a while, I really couldn't get the colors to look less "fakey" while I was in the store. Again, I'm sure you can make it look better with proper calibration, but straight out of the box I liked the LG better as far as color was concerned. Image was also very sharp and clear and the 3D stuff (I watched Resident Evil 3D) looked pretty hi-def to me despite claims that it is not full hi-def. Yes you are seeing 1920 x 540 in each eye, but I guess since you are seeing them at the same time (as apposed to the active shudder glasses alternating each eye)it really looks like 1920x1080. The only problem is when you get close to the TV, then you can see these horizontal lines, but they do recommend you sit at least 6 feet away, and with a TV that big you really don't want to sit any closer. I would say my TV is about 10 feet away from my couch. So, to sum it all up, I really like this model of LG. It's a great TV for the price and all the extra features, such as Netflix, Vudu, Youtube, Facebook, and a slew of other downloadable apps, make a nice little bonus. Plus it comes with this neat Wii like remote, a wireless ethernet adapter, and 4 sets of glasses. 3D is great and doesn't hurt my head like the active shudder glasses do. I suggest getting this TV at a local store and try it out. If you don't like it, return it, and if you have the money buy both TVs, try them out side by side, and return the one you didn't like. I didn't get a chance to try the Samsung at home, so don't take my opinion on the Samsung until you've gotten a chance to really play with it. I'm sure it's still a great TV regardless. Anyways, if you had doubts about the LG, i say get it. It's a great TV for the money (especially if you get a good price like I did).

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2011 10:58:29 PM PDT
I just bought this TV at Fry's Electronic last week for 1200$ plus tax. 3D look good but not as sharp as active glasses. You do see the lines if you sit around 1 meter far away from the TV but as you get to around 2 meters and further away you won't see them lines. For the TV too look good, it took me over 1 hour to mess around with the settings to calibrate it properly to my taste with my room's lighting. I'd say my previous Sony 3D bravia series looks a bit sharper than this LG but maybe because it's 46 inch vs 55 inch. Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2011 6:38:48 PM PDT
So Gabriel;

are you saying even though only half of the vertical resolution is being used at each given moment, that the positional shift to the next quadrant is so fast the brains sees 1080p instead of +/- 500? That would make sense when shifting at 400Mhz. Which is many times faster than 120Mhz my LED DLP runs at. It definitely has 1080p, and very little artifacts. However it is reliant on powered shutter glasses, so this new development is very interesting indeed! I may have to purchase one of the bigger models - If I can stand the shiny screen!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2011 7:51:52 PM PDT
Hi Jay. Yes, everything you said is indeed correct. Actually, the LW9500 {USA} operates at 480Hz {the European model operates at 400Hz}. However, I'm sorry to have to say that my expectations for the extremely advanced technology in the LW9500 turned out to not be as flawless as it was supposed to be. I will no longer have anything to do with LG as a result, until maybe after the year 2013 or so. Their engineers have totally screwed up, again. Companies are apparently not yet ready to use Full-Array LED technology, because it causes two specific major problems, which most people might not even notice {that would be good for them}. However, for many videophiles out there, it would make this unbearable. Here are the two problems with Full-Array LED {or Full-Array Nano-LED}:
1. All the Nano-LEDs on the LW9500 are "blocked" into "zones" which can independently turn the backlighting on or off {this is EXTREMELY different compared to each Nano-LED operating in a completely independent manner, rather than relying on an entire "zone" or "block" of on-and-off backlighting}. As a result, depending on the image you are looking at, {say for instance a bright small image with complete blackness surrounding it}, you will be able to see a subtle glow of light in various "sections" around that very image {depending on the position of the "zone" or "block" of Nano-LEDs}. I have a Samsung Infuse {SGH-I997} smart phone. The entire screen of that phone is a pure AMOLED {Active-matrix Organic LED}. Now THAT is the ULTIMATE accomplishment in perfection to the highest standard ever!! When viewing any image surrounded by total darkness, the perfection is so extreme that this is what I was truly waiting for. Unfortunately a full AMOLED TV screen in large sizes may not be available until the year 2013, due to their extreme expense.
2. This is the final and most horrific flaw. Since all the Nano-LEDs in the LW9500 are "blocked" into "zones", during panning scenes or other certain scenes of motion, you can actually see all those subtle BLOCKS encompassing the ENTIRE screen!!!!! No Joke!! Those blocks {appearing as a web or net} can actually be seen while watching anything. Yes, they are super subtle; most people may not notice it, but when you do, you will be shocked and won't be able to stop noticing it thereafter.

If you want the finest picture imaginable, you'll want to get an AMOLED TV!
Since I don't want to wait forever, I really think I will consider getting the Sharp LC-60LE925U. This is the only TV that has been reported to have the least amount of backlight leakage from its' Edge-Lit LEDs. And although some TV specialists on Science Forums are stating that the addition of the Yellow color-pixel on this throws off the whole balance of the color spectrum, those people are truly full of bull-crap. Because anybody looking at this screen can clearly see that the colors are so much more gorgeous and rich. Costco has it for only $1,899 + tax, and also gives you a half-decade warranty for only $100!! So, for less than about $2,200 {grand total} for five years worth of peace of mind, I think this will be the best option by a long shot.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2011 3:22:21 PM PDT
@Gabriel;

I noticed when I examined the back light matrix that each LED fed the same back scatter fiber optic bundle, so I wondered if this weren't just another zoned technique. Good luck with your Sharp!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2011 11:29:23 PM PDT
Yeah, that's actually right! All this new advanced technology that LG is using in their latest flagship models is actually being utilized in a half-assed manner! If these people have the ability to make Nano LEDs turn the backlighting on and off in "zones", then that means they should also have the ability to make each and every single Nano LED turn the backlighting on and off individually, rather than relying on retarded "zones". This is obviously just another example of laziness in total technological utilization.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 11:34:54 PM PST
Jay Citizen says:
I saw an even bigger 70" Sharp Quattron at Sams the other day and was amazed. It may have the same zoning, but it had the best picture in the store!!! It was right next to a high end Sony Plazma, and I swear it was superior to it! Even more suprising was how well the screen was subdued! I hate shiny screens on TVs and it was very acceptable!!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›