1.0 out of 5 stars I can see good intentions, but misses the mark for me, April 29, 2008
This review is from: Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips (Paperback)
As a cancer survivor, I wanted to like this book. I love the idea of a "hip" survival/inspirational guide for women. I am so glad that Kris Carr has dealt so well with a devastating diagnosis. This points to a true strength of spirit. I think the author's heart is in the right place, but something went wrong here. I didn't find this book hip, or funny. It struck a bad chord for me. When I had cancer I too was 31. I didn't go through a decision-making process about whether to tell my esthetician about my illness. I wasn't worried about getting my bikini area waxed. I didn't go on a "cancervation" with my "posse", because I was working to pay my bills and keep my health insurance. I didn't attend retreats and trainings and buy hundreds of dollars of goods from Whole Foods on shopping trips and make a documentary about myself. People deal with trauma and heal in different ways, and spending freely seems to have been beneficial to Kriss Carr's personal journey. Each woman featured in this book talks about her height and weight, and Kris Carr makes numerous references to her own weight and desire to weigh less. It seems the opposite of "empowering", and perhaps a bit disingenuous, for a woman who looks (at least in her photos) radiantly healthy, beautiful, stylish, and very thin to keep making references to desire for weighing less. I'd find it inspirational to hear things along the lines of "I used to worry about my weight before cancer, but since I've changed my diet and lifestyle, my body has changed and I'm very happy with it, I feel very comfortable in my own skin now" (or something like that). When I had cancer, I was more concerned with getting well than stepping on the scale. I'm well and healthy, now, my looks are something I pay attention to but emphasizing it in a book focused on cancer seems wrong. I can't pretend to know what it's like to have the disease that Kris Carr is living with. She seems to be doing something right - a lot of somethings. I respect this tremendously. I'd love to hear more about diet and exercise, more on inner process, less about numbers on the scale and appearance and the things that money can buy. Maybe focusing on this is meant to distract the mind, and I've missed the point!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 17, 2008 9:00:38 PM PDT
Couldn't help but to be touched by your comment. It is true that there's not too many recipes in the book. Try Cornbleet's 'Raw Food Made Easy'. Truly terrific recipes by a woman (and cooking teacher) who also has to feed a family where not everyone is on her raw 'kick'. Good luck!

Posted on Aug 30, 2009 9:29:56 AM PDT
laball says:
I understand the reviewer's point, however, do strongly recommend that she go to Ms. Carr's website and she WILL find the "diet and exercise, inner process, less about numbers on the scale....." that she is looking for. Not all of Ms. Carr's "information" is for me - by no means - but I find a lot of useful information, networking, links, and encouragement on her website. I suggest a re-reading of the book with a more open attitude. There is no definite answer (yet) and together, we can all help each other find what works for each one of us.

Posted on Jan 21, 2011 2:34:38 PM PST
Y. Yang says:
I haven't read the book, so I'm not going to comment about it at all. But I just wanted to say that I am so happy for you that you are well and healthy now. I was diagnosed with leukemia in 2004 (at the age of 35) and had a lot of complications. I'd always been just a little heavy, and had always wanted to be thin. During my battle with cancer, being a bit heavy at the time of diagnosis probably saved my life, since I lost so much weight during my treatment and during some of the complications I had. I now am glad that I'm back to having "a little bit" in reserve. Don't get me wrong, it's not healthy to be significantly overweight, but I really think that most people who have a normal healthy weight don't appreciate how great that really is.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2011 4:57:47 PM PST
laball says:
I do, I do, I do. I think that a lot of stuff in this book is right on. I don't like some of the recipes but I'm learning to like them. AFter my own cancer diagnosis, I was real, real careful about my diet and with several "no evidence of cancer" tests, I got lazy again and started eating the stuff that Kris says is no good.... guess what? A small spot shows up. I'm back on that diet and gonna ZAP that spot!!! Never drop guard again. Cancer is a tireless foe, does not sleep. Remember that. And I also was overweight - underweight - and then suddenly overweight again and that masked something being wrong. The sudden overweight again was due to hypothyroidism, which happens to many cancer patients/recovered patients, so WATCH for that. Don't say "Hmm, I'm really tired, it must be the cancer." Get the thyroid checked!!!

I think I was a "normal healthy weight" for 2 months, lol. Getting back there. I am happy that most of the people writing here are on track to normal lives again, whatever they are. And THAT, really is what Kris Carr is about. She is about LIVING in the moment. FEELING life. LOVING life.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2011 1:27:21 AM PDT
Lesley Daley says:
I am a nurse/author/wife of a cancer survivor-- I self published a book--
Goddess Don't Buy Green Bananas. It's more about stories and has huge black and white photos of inspriation and hope. My website: goddessbook.com. Please search for it. I love to donate them too!!! Lesley

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 11:37:06 AM PDT
Betty Deere says:
I too am a cancer surviver, and I absolutely concur with the view of allowing the cancer experience to teach us more about our inner selves and life direction, not about outer beauty so very very much! I had ovarian cancer and I am 18 yrs free and clear! I did not do chemo/radiation and actually many of the things advocated by Kristy (loved how she said: "Grass up the ass", which I did indeed put many onces of wheatgrass up my ass and I also did coffee enemas and lots other stuff most people thought crazy in thos days. Many still do, so I was glad to see the info in Kristy's book, and if you have to title it "sexey" cancer to sell , I guess that's o.k. too. BDeere, Little Rock, AR

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 6:21:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 11:01:00 AM PDT
Bada Bingo says:
I am an oncology nurse, and ironically enough, I am also the wife of a young cancer survivor. When my husband was going through treatments, there were very few books that offered us hope and encouragement. I happen to have had the opportunity to meet the author of this book, and I think she's a great lady. What she managed to do with her book was create her own type of cancer-community filled with lots of people eager to dedicate their lives to health eating. While the author thrived from her raw diet and juicing--- this is a full time job, and an expensive one too. I think there have been many positives things that have come from this book, but I do agree that it may not be for everyone.

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 7:45:48 PM PDT
SportsChick says:
i have to diagree....i was diagnosed at 26 and totally related to most of what Carr and the other ladies featured in the book had to say. I did not have the same cancer as Carr but a lot of what I went through physically and mentally were still the same.

I think why I feel this way is because I used this book to reference things that were happening to me at the time. When I started to lose my hair, i read the section about hair loss. When my doctor talked about weight and diet, I went and read about it first. Had I read the book from start to finish, I may have felt the same way. Since I opened it whenever something new happened to me, I was comforted to read about it. That I wasnt the only one who was feeling or experiencing something that way.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (118 customer reviews)

$19.95 $12.24