4.0 out of 5 stars Has some flaws, but gets the job done, July 14, 2011
First word of advice - do not buy this watch on Amazon.com until the product is available for the MSRP of $199.99 that it is currently selling for on the manufacturer website.

Initial Setup

The packaging for this watch is compact and easy to open - very similar to how Apple packages their nanos and related products. The box contained the watch, a foot pod, cord, and very very brief instructions. The instructions basically tell you to plug the watch into your computer and download the user guide (and then this is repeated in 15 different languages). The edge of the watchband serves as a USB port so you literally just plug the watch right into the computer. This port has a plastic hinge which I'm already afraid will break, but so far so good. Once plugged you download some software and either set up a nikeplus account or login using your existing nikeplus account. While your watch is charging you can customize your settings giving you a display that most interests you (i.e. average pace, distance, clock, etc.)

Nikeplus.com

If you've been using nike+ products with your iphone or your ipod nano then you can simply login with your same username and life is good. If you're new to nikeplus you have to set up a free account. Nikeplus has some issues like it's not great on Macs and sometimes it repeatedly asks you to login, but once you're in it's a pretty user friendly basic site. Runs are tracked showing mile splits and you can set up goals, challenges, or training plans. The GPS feature adds some really new and beneficial features to nikeplus where you can see your run mapped out and it shows you the spots where you ran the fastest and the slowest.

I don't understand all the reviews completely bashing the website - maybe they're all Mac users? It's annoying that it always asks you to login every single time, but the data displayed on the GPS route is everything I need (mile/lap splits, elevation, fastest/slowest point, etc.)

Running Experience

So far I've had no problems connecting to GPS and the watch has measured out extremely close to what my previous nike+ shoe sensor (and mapmyrun) was telling me. The watch is definitely less bulky than some of those older Garmin models and it fits very well. The plastic fittings make me a little nervous, but better than having hot metal against you skin I suppose. I have big clumsy fingers and I can press the buttons no problem in order to cycle through the stats that I want.

I've gone on about 30 runs and 26 of those time the watched linked perfectly and worked flawlessly. 2 times the watch never could link to a satellite so I was stuck running with only the footpod, which yields slightly different results than using GPS. Another 2 times about 5 minutes into the run my average pace would start to sore up into the 4:00/mile pace, which clearly was faster than I was actually moving. Ending that run and starting another fixes the problem, but you have to delete that messed up run from the website or all of your records will be skewed. (The GPS map of that messed up run showed me running straight through a mountain and a lake - clearly a satellite issue). I also lost a few runs in the beginning because of some issue connecting the watch to my computer, but that issue has not happened again thankfully.

Final Thoughts

The watch itself is great and so easy to use and see while running. You can easily take the data from the watch and track your progress in Excel, which isn't a bad idea given some of the website issues/bugs. I wasn't willing to spend twice as much on a new Garmin so I'm willing to accept some of the risks that come with this product. As a novice/intermediate runner this has really helped me get more out of my training, particularly my interval and tempo workouts where I can set laps in minutes or meters and really make sure I'm training appropriately.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 6, 2012 8:26:38 AM PST
tony says:

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 9:35:12 AM PDT
K. Kind says:
I am not sure I understand your first comment about waiting for the $199.99 price. Are you saying we should not buy this for the discounted price of $170 or the used price of $105, but instead should pay full retail? Is there some advantage to paying more?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2012 6:12:37 AM PDT
This review was written within the first few months of this watch coming out, and Most retailers were out of stock. Because of that, many 3rd party resellers were selling these watches here on Amazon for a much higher price than the MSRP of $199.00. Kind of like the new Nike Fuelband is doing now.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 1:26:08 PM PDT
B. Wueste says:
Yes sorry - S. Johnson was correct. This review is really old and at the time the prices on Amazon were at a premium due to supply and demand. Usually Amazon is lower than what you'd find at other retailers, but for new products sometime this isn't the case.

Posted on May 9, 2012 7:10:36 AM PDT
Can you comment on where you were running? You said the map had you running through a mountain so I'm assuming trail running. This might explain, though not necessarily excuse, the GPS issues. Might help for those who plan a more "open-sky" run.

Posted on May 11, 2012 5:30:29 PM PDT
Katie says:
Do you still use mapmyrun with this watch or did you migrated completely to nike? I am a map my runuser but i am thinking on getting a gps watch and also think the cost benefit is good.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 2:48:47 AM PDT
B. Wueste says:
Unfortunately it wasn't trail running. I generally run in suburban neighborhoods so there shouldn't be a lot of signal interruption.

I will say, however, that in the last year or so this issue has not arisen again. I've also found that if I plug my watch into my computer to acquire satellite signal immediately before a run I get much better results.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 2:50:22 AM PDT
B. Wueste says:
I migrated completely to Nike. The only thing I continue to use mapmyrun for is to actually draw out the routes in advance. Nike has this functionality as well, but mapmyrun shows you elevation and is a little more user-friendly.

I can't imagine running without a GPS watch now so definitely take the plunge. It's so nice to be able to see real data about your runs and to have that data real time as you run.

Posted on May 15, 2012 6:05:59 AM PDT
T. Baker says:
How is the GPS working now, and is it real time tracking or do you have to download it into your pc? For example, could I log in to the website while my wife/kid is running, and have an idea where they are? Also, I'm assuming that the battery doesn't last very long, but what's been your experience with the watch's battery.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 2:53:48 AM PDT
B. Wueste says:
The GPS is working much better now. I can't remember the last time I had an issue where it was inaccurate during a run.

It is real time tracking for the person wearing the watch in terms of getting data on speed and distance, but no there is no real time uplink to the computer so you couldn't see where others are running. Once you complete your run and plug it into your USB drive you can see a map showing where you ran.

The battery hasn't been a problem. I'd estimate that after a year it still lasts about 30 miles without needing to be recharged, but since you want to plug in your watch to synchronize the satellites before you run you will find yourself constantly recharging it.

Hope this helps.