1,029 of 1,065 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars A great TV that's kind of dumb: PLEASE READ FOR SOLID REVIEW, July 16, 2012
This review is from: Samsung UN46ES6100 46-Inch 1080p 120Hz Slim LED HDTV (Black) (2012 Model) (Electronics)
UN46ES6100 (but this review could easily apply to the 40,50,55 and 60 inch models) PLEASE READ!

Let me start off by stating that I am rating this pretty much solely on the picture quality, because the Smart Hub on this is completely junk. So why would I still give this TV 4 stars when the selling feature on this is the Smart Tv feature, because the TV itself is absolutely stunning when it comes to picture quality.

I've accepted the fact that the Smart TV feature is garbage on this TV. Sadly Samsung is aware that they drop the ball big time on creating a good Smart TV. That being said though you probably won't find to many TV's that have a good Smart TV function and picture quality as good as this (except the Sony Bravia......but it will cost you big time). Between my friends and I we have tried almost all the new TV's that have come out, and to be honest none of the new Smart TV's have impressed me. LG comes pretty close with the whole package for a good price, but still (in my opinion) does not compare to this TV when it comes to picture quality.

The apps are attached through the Smart Hub which means, yes, they also run slow. I run my streaming apps through my Blu-Ray player and it looks great. It's weird that an external source such as a Blu-ray player runs apps better that a tv that has apps and software built into it. Smart Hub is absolutely useless on this TV, everything from the browser to the apps are ridiculously slow. I give the Smart Hub feature a 1 out of 10. It works, but barely. This feature is not ready for prime time.

Now, down to the nitty gritty. The reason this TV is still great is because I personally love the look of their Auto-Motion feature. Some say it looks "soap opery", but I love it. You can turn off Automotion easily and it still delivers in 120hz mode. This TV has a whooping 5,000,000:1 dynamic contrast that completely delivers. The picture quality is very crisp and colors are very vibrant (Actually to be honest, out of the box it's too vibrant. You will have to play around with it. Check the bottom of this post, I'll supply a professionally calibrated configuration to help some of you). HDTV looks great. Everything is so clear it does almsot seem like there is no screen dividing you from the movie. Blu-Rays on this is an experience all to itself. So in conclusion for picture I give this a 10 out of 10.

Sound is decent on this. It's not bad. It does have it's moments with low end bass a little. Coarse my theory on sound on a TV like this is, if you bought this TV your probably like me and had some inkling that your future foretold a certain sound system......maybe a nice sound bar. So in conclusion for sound I give this 7 out of 10. Very passable sound for sure.

Comparing a the UN46ES6100 to the UN46EH600 (Similar Samsung TV minus the Smart TV)
Here is a valuble piece of information. If your looking for a Samsung TV with all the same qualification but no Smart TV feature, go with the UN46EH6000 (40,46,50,55,60). Although this TV does match up in every way, the picture quality is a little less (about half million in the dynamic contrast department, which actually isn't much when considering the naked eye) on the UN46EH6000, but you will save about 300 bucks. By the way, if you compare these two TV using Amazon they will tell you the match up, but after talking to Samsung they gave me the real specs. These TV's are comparable, but not the same. They would leave you to think the the Smart feature is the only difference. My personal opinion, get the UN46ES6100. In the long run you want the best picture quality. Right?

In final conclusion, I really like this TV .....a lot (the UN46ES6100, bad on topic). If you read the other reviews the biggest beef is clearly with the Smart Hub, which to be honest is completely accurate. In fact this problem is not isolated to this model, it would seem that all the 2012 Samsung's that attempted the Smart Hub failed miserably. I bought this TV for $899 at Costco and to be honest I have not come across a TV yet that compares for the price. In fact this TV performs at the rate of most TV's that go for double the price. So if you buy this TV know that you will be disappointed in the Smart Hub feature but very surprised at the picture quality. Maybe the best you'll see for awhile. I give this TV a solid 8.5/10.....and I'm actually hard to please.

Those calibrations that I promised:

These calibrations were done professionally by the guys at lcdbuyingguide....(dotcom). They worked awesomely to get my TV looking perfect.

Picture Mode Movie
Backlight 16 (Backlight is the one part you will have to adjust to your liking and room lighting)
Contrast 95

G-Gain 23
B-Gain 21
SCREEN ADJUSTMENT
Picture Size Screen Fit
MEASURED CONTRAST (WITH OTC1000)
100 IRE (Y) 55.3625
O IRE (Y) 0.0222
Ratio (x:1) 2493.8063

Hope these calibrations help. So far I've used this calibration and I've loved it. It's great because it works on movies, sports, tv, blu-ray....you name it. The only time I change them is when my living room gets really really bright, then I just put it on standard for a little while.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 15 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 109 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 21, 2012 12:09:09 PM PDT
Thanks for posting the settings. Gonna try those exact settings on mine when I get it in a few days :>) 1 quick question : You mentioned something about you will sometimes switch to 'standard'...Is the Standard not what you used for these settings? There is Dynamic, Standard, Natural & Movie. I would think you leave everything as is but use 'Standard' to do your personal settings. Obviously, thats not what you did......So, which did you put these settings on-Dynamic, Natural or Movie? Would it not be best to keep those 3 as they are & use standard for the custom settings? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2012 2:35:04 PM PDT
Brice S. says:
I used Movie. The input settings actually have different effects when you input these same settings, so inputting these in Standard and Movie will give you a different outcome. I believe it has something to do with the preset manufactures internal functions.The Movie setting is going to tone down the picture a little. You will see what I'm talking about when you get the TV. The Standard setting is a little too vibrant. I like standard for sports though, but I just felt that the Movie setting with the proper calibrations really did the TV justice when viewing movies and tv programs. I personally think Dynamic and Natural are pretty useless. Dynamic really strips the contrast down, and Natural is a bit off. Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 9:32:10 AM PDT
Thanks...I'll give it a shot......

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 11:31:22 PM PDT
first6000 says:
I tried your settings and it looks bad. I'll have to try one of those calibration dvds.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 11:53:37 AM PDT
Tried the exact settings you listed & The picture quality went from great to awful. I mean truly awful. Everything looked dull & washed out...no 'vibrant' colors.....I mean the pic quality literally was horrible...looked worse then a standard tv. But thanks for posting the settings...always worth a try & obviously everybody has different tastes, so to speak so very happy these settings work for you, but for me the settings took a great pic and made it absolutely horrible. I know you also said you thought the dynamic, natural & etc were worthless in your opinion. I found just the opposite. STUNNING PIC QUALITY on Dynamic. Not quite as good on natural, but still excellent pic quality. I do agree on the smart tv being a real pain...Far too tedious to do anything....also, HATE the remote control....HATE IT!! Samsung Customer Service is also pitiful....Mine is still sitting here in the house...for now.....But I have already 'returned' this tv & am awaiting delivery of a very high end LG model that is being delivered in a few days. The ONLY good thing I can say about this samsung model is the pic quality (on Dynamic, Natural & standard with my own settings plugged in) is quite good...& that is the main reason & biggest factor in any tv, but the negatives were just far too much for me to justify keeping this set..Yes, pic quality was great, but everything else was awful so I'll see how the LG compares when I get it. In the store, both the samsung & the lg model I picked out both had stunning pic quality, but I cant say the samsung was better....very close & I might even give a slight edge to the LG. & Im not really expecting much from the 'smart tv' on the LG, but in the store I was blown away by how much better it was then the samsung...not only did everything work better but it was a literal joy to browse around while the samsung was so ridiculously tedious trying to navigate around with that lousy remote...the lg blows it away in all respects on the smart tv stuff.....very easy & actually fun to navigate around using the magic wand remote...not just on the smart tv part but the whole package....navigating thru settings or ANYTHING using the Samsung remote is awful.....I was so frustrated with it I wanted to smash the darn thing to pieces....Worst remote ever, imo & just horrible to use, navigate & etc...The Lg was so much better, easier & actually fun & enjoyable, I cant even compare....I'd rate the Sammy a negative 10 stars & I'd rate the LG 10000000000000000000% (lol) higher........EVERYTHING is TEDIOUS on the Sammy...the LG is fast, easy & a joy. Truly love how the LG remote works on the whole package while I could not tolerate the sammy......Anyway, thanks for the settings & although I didnt like your settings, I truly appreciate the excellent & thorough review you took the time to post......Good luck with your Sammy.....Cant wait to get this LG tho.......Comparing ALL aspects of both TV's in person, the LG blew the sammy out of the water in every single aspect...Hopefully, when it is in my home it will be just as good as it was in the store.....

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 2:25:23 PM PDT
Brice S. says:
I hear you. The settings have to fit personal preference, so to each their own. I too have had my wits end with the Smart Tv function of this tv. I'm still debating if I want to return this tv or not. I love the picture quality, but I know switching to LG may give me just as good quality picture with better Smart TV and remote. Let me know how that LG goes. I'm thinking I might just try LG out. I have several friends that have LG's and their completely in love with their tv's. I haven't compared the two side by side. I'm a picture quality nut, so if you think LG beats Samsung in that category let me know. How do you like the Automotion feature on Samsung? I know LG uses Trumotion. If I switch to another TV I would like that feature. Anyways, sorry the settings didn't work for you. Let me know in the future on this post how LG stacks up.

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 8:25:24 AM PDT
R. Davis says:
Thanks for trying to help tune pic in for us, but I have to agree with The Real Review-your recommended settings took us from a great pic to awful and blurry. The picture doesnt "pop" for us at these settings. Thanks anyway!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2012 9:38:12 AM PDT
Brice S. says:
That was the biggest problem I had with this tv, it was just way too vibrant and overly poppy. I love a well contrast tv, but there is such a thing as too much. I should have probably noted that these settings do work a little better in a dark setting. I do still use the standard setting if the room is real bright. Altogether, this tv lately has become more work than enjoyment. I may end up changing my review score and returning the tv. I will give it a couple more months so I can work out all the kinks, but if by then it doesn't work out.....it's going back to the store. If it doesn't work out I think I'll go with THE REAL REVIEW's suggestion of going with LG. If you guys have any better luck please let me know.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2012 9:42:52 AM PDT
Well, the LG hasnt been delivered yet so no clue how it will look/work once in my home, but in the store I was able to look at & play with both sets right next to each other. Again, I thought the actual pic quality was as good or better then the samsung...certainly not worse....So, with such great pic quality on the LG & the ease of using everything, & the fact my retailer gave me the LG with a nice discount $800 even (model 47LM6700/3D) it was a no brainer, especially after playing with the sammy here in the house for quite awhile & then playing with both, side by side, it was a rather easy decision. Frankly I could care less about 3D, although it certainly looked awesome (3d looked GREAT...Pic also looked great without 3D on...It will also allow you to 'convert 2d to 3D, which worked shockingly well, btw.....but again, 3d doesnt really matter to me..just an added bonus & again it really did look stunning in regular 2d, real 3d & 2d converted to 3d as well.....it also upconverts standard def to near hd quality & that worked awesome as well...I was shocked at how good regular standard stuff looked..it truly did look very close to HD..BEST SD I've ever seen....Tough to even tell its not HD....) Love the look as well.....its almost like there are no edges on this tv...just a beautiful pic 'sitting on air'...amazingly good looks.....the one in the store had already gotten the latest firmware updates & they fixed 99% of the 'bugs' folks posted about & now you can turn TM on or off & all sorts of other stuff...CMR is 240 just like the sammy...contrast is higher on lg as well.....the remote/magic wand is awesome...makes the smart tv part rock as well as anything else you want to do as far as settings & etc.....It just blew the sammy out of the water in every possible way, although my 2 main things were pic quality & ease of use...The pic quality as I said is as good or better then the sammy...3d blows the sammy out of the water...the upconverting of standard def programming made standard literally look as good as hd so it blows sammy away by 100 miles on standard def shows....& ease of use simply is no comparrison...sammy was tedious & frustrating while the lg was simply too easy, certainly not tedious & was an actual joy to access stuff, change settings, using smart tv stuff & etc etc.....Honestly, no comparrison bewteen the 2.....LG blew the sammy out of the water in every aspect I can think of...Cant wait to get it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2012 10:10:46 AM PDT
I was actually a little leary of the LG model Im getting, but again, the latest FW update appears to have fixed most of the stuff folks complained about, plus added features many want but had no access to....my suggestion would be to ignore all reviews & actually go to whatever retailer is close to you where they have both (or at least the LG, since you already know/see the sammy, and try everything out in person.....thats what I did & I was so blown away by the LG I knew I was telling them to take back the sammy & deliver the LG....Wasnt even looking for, nor did I ask for a 'discount'..just made a comment about how I really didnt care about 3d (now that i've seen it, I actually love it, tho) & that I didnt want to pay more for 3d...they simply dropped the price, no questions asked to $800 even which was $100 cheaper then the sammy...& again, the converting 2d to 3d worked very well, & a HUGE plus was how the upconverting of standard def to near HD quality worked. I've never seen ANY standard def program look this good on any tv....Add in the awesome remote, ease of use & etc & for me it was a no brainer but not until I saw it in person & had a chance to play with it....It also has some cool features for folks that dont like adjusting settings...although you can adjust anything on this tv very easily it has a truly 'smart feature' where the tv will see what your watching & a simple wave of the wand/remote and the lg goes 'smart' and alters settings for you to get the best pic it can...if you like what it did you just 'accept it''if not, it'll keep changing stuff until you do without actually changing your default settings...it just 'works to change settings until you love what you see', but does not change any of your default settings. That really worked well....with the sammy, it was like you had to change settings everytime you switched a channel or switched to different programing & quality of signal/pic....watching this movie looked great but then switching to something different didnt look so good so your back with that tedious remote changing stuff everytime you change a channel.......not on the lg...you dont like what you see you can simply let the tv do ALL the work, or you can just use any of the custome settings you've set up...best of all worlds, imo......& yes, the smart tv stuff worked surprisingly well & the magic wand/remote made using the smart tv (& everything else on the tv) an actual joy to use....So, my rec is to ignore reviews & go check one out & play with it in person...thats really the only way you can determine if 'its right for you''..it certainly was 'right for me'...Wished I had done that at 1st as if I had, I would have gone with the LG from the start.....I'll let you know how things are after its delivered & please let us know if you do get out & give the LG a test drive & let us know what you think.......
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next ›