4.0 out of 5 stars A Modern Classic? No. Good Fun? Yes., December 17, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Assassin's Creed Limited Edition - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I have played a lot of games in the past 20 years and this is one of the few I've picked up and played through the entire thing just waiting for what was coming. The anticipation of what's going to happen keeps you playing. I kept waiting for it to flash forward to modern times and for the assassin's skill to be unleashed there. I won't ruin the game for you but I was a bit disappointed at the ending.

This is one of the few modern games I've played to the end, with most being shelved after a few weeks. This one kept coming out of the rack of games until I was finished. So, I'd say it's well worth the $[...] bucks compared to what most games are going for, and their "value."

If you buy one game for your system when you get it this one shows off what the PS3 can do quite well. You don't HAVE to play this one before the second one, but it's a good primer -- plus a lot cheaper in case you decide AC is not for you.

GAMEPLAY
There was a lot of potential in this game and it's really fun, but I can't give it 5 stars: It's too repetitive. Basically you climb buildings, go do mini-quests that repeat getting a bit tougher each time and then kill "Bosses" and run for your life (or do what I did:).

I'm not a hardcore gamer. So, after the first two levels, I realized a stealthy Assassin I was not. It simply required too much skill for me to lose the soldiers chasing you and hide and the stealthy way in was too tough for me, so I resorted to simply killing all the guards -- I got great practice saving citizens from street thugs. And once I learned to counter blows I was pretty much unstoppable. Maybe hardcore gamers would consider the fights too easy, but they're challenging enough that I lost a few even after I got used to the controls. But that's what was so fun about it - you could lose but it was less frustrating when you did.

I know they probably didn't intend me to walk into a building of 20 guards and have only me come out, but whatever ("I'll do what I want"). Even though they penalize you for killing innocents, I basically killed anyone who got in my way -- innocent or not. There's these crazy or drunk guys that push you when you'd be trying to get close to a target in some areas. A hidden blade works wonders on them so long as you don't worry about guards noticing, and making it too hard to kill your target.

OVERALL
The beautiful art and ability to do whatever you want kept me playing. I do have a problem with the fact that you can't kill some targets once they make it further away from where you're supposed to kill them. One or two guys made it out of the zone they set up, and I had to restart that part o the mission. I'm a huge fan of free running games so long as I like the topic/setting. And being an Assassin in the holy land during the Crusades is a great setting. Also, the game saves at every significant point so you don't have to redo a bunch of things you've already done if you die halfway through, which is a great mechanic.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]