3.0 out of 5 stars good for lunches you keep upright...they do not seal well, July 28, 2010
This review is from: Libbey 6.25-Ounce Small Bowls with Plastic Lids, 16-Piece Set (Kitchen)
We got these to send snacks with our son for his lunch. They are a good size for snacky things (berries, etc.). And, compared to the various small lunch-box size glass storage I looked at, these are one of the best deals. For some reason, small glass bowls with lids are insanely expensive, at least by my standards. However, it seems to me like the lids are mostly to keep food in, not to keep things from leaking. Thus, they aren't good if the lunch isn't going to be upright, which could be a problem in many lunch boxes. Not sure if I just got a bad batch without a good seal, but for lunches that need to be leak-proof, this may not be ideal. For other storage around house of spices, etc. probably works well.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 28, 2013 12:57:53 PM PST
don amy says:
I am 70 and when I sent my kids to school, I surely didn't use GLASS bowls.. If you just want it to send them to school, Get some cheep plastic jars with screw on lids.. If you want glass, use some left over fruit jars....I don't think kids should be bringing glass to school?

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 1:00:11 PM PST
don amy says:

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 5:37:56 PM PST
L. Jenkins says:
The chemicals in the plastic bowls (like BPA and phthalates) aren't good for kiddos (or for the rest of us). That's one reason why many people are considering glass as a healthier alternative.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2013 7:44:55 PM PDT
iluvs2fish says:
I'm 61 yrs old, four daughters and now have grands. I'm getting rid of all my kitchen plastics. Yes all. Even the expensive Tupperware etc. due to the fact they can release harmful chemicals into the liquids and foods we store in them. I'm not an alarmist. I've been researching the scientific studies. NPR reports that a new study has found that most (most!) plastics "from sippy cups to food wraps" release a hormone similar to estrogen. If you recall the shock that came along with learning about BPA in plastics and also canned goods, it's an extra blow to learn that BPA-free containers might still be leaching chemicals into food. If you are a younger person it might prove prudent on your part to start making changes in how you approach these kinds of issues. At 61 I still want to do the best I can to avoid harmful chemicals & live a healthy lifestyle as long as I can. Tx.

Posted on Aug 26, 2013 12:59:12 PM PDT
I'm a 64 year old retired teacher. First of all I liked your review. When I was a student, back in the days of Fred Flintstone, we didn't take anything that leaked. Yes, we had a thermos bottle, but I always bought a carton of milk at school. For us it was a sandwich, wrapped in waxed paper, a piece of fruit and perhaps some cookies, again wrapped in waxed paper. It was just enough to fill me up. I didn't want a lot because I was always eager to go outside and play. (We had an hour for lunch back then.)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2013 3:01:36 PM PDT
CityGirl says:
Storing food in plastic is now known to be unhealthy. I would have no problem sending a leak-proof glass container in a school lunch. Long term use of plastic has been found to be harmful to your health. Also, if the children throw away the plastic containers, this is definitely not good for the environment.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›