5.0 out of 5 stars I will support Cheetah Mounts FOREVER!!, September 4, 2009
This review is from: Cheetah Mounts Plasma LCD Flat Screen TV Articulating Full Motion Dual Arm Wall Mount Bracket For 32-65" Displays Up To 165LBS Black With 10 Foot 1.4 HDMI Cable Fits Up To 24" Studs (Electronics)
Load testing it (215 lbs!) - [...]

WOW. I bought a cheetah mount that only tilts for my 52" SAMSUNG LCD TV. But the configuration of my living room/kitchen area had me thinking I'd rather go with an articulating wall mount, so I can turn it if I'm cooking or if I have people over on the sectional sofa I can turn it that (the opposite) way. So I bought this puppy (I kept the other tilting-only mount for my bedroom LCD TV which I haven't purchased yet). After taxes and S&H, it came out to $106. A similar product at BestBuy and hhgregg costs well over $300 (bestbuy has some that articulate and tilt that are up to $750!!!)

I'm a civil engineer, I work on designing things as a career. When I opened the box and saw the structural bulk of this thing, I was very impressed. I knew my brand new TV would be secure hanging from this thing. It came with a BUNCH of extra hardware in case you needed to use it (I ended up using the screws they supplied for the connection to the TV, since mine were too short). I also used their spacers to help ensure full thread engagement.

I wanted to install the TV on the wall and run the cables through the wall, so I had a lot of work cut out for me. Also, I live on a first floor condo unit, so my studs were in groups of 3 and only 12" apart. So I had to cut a whole in the drywall and add another adjacent stud to it. The lag screws they supplied are more than efficient. Just be sure to have the right sized screwdriver head to avoid stripping the heads.

Once I got the TV up I load tested it. I brought it out about 3/4 the total extension distance and first pulled down on it a bit. Then I slowly transferred all my weight to the mount. I heard a little bit of stress in the wood, but after all 215lbs of me was hanging from it, I knew that my 66 lb tv would be just fine. It's only upon writing this review that I see it's rated for 180 lbs. so it's a good thing that I didn't see that before load-testing it. even though, being an engineer and all) I know things are derated all the time. The instructions were a little fuzzy, but it's still pretty easy to not screw up.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 18 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 70 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 17, 2009 9:35:42 AM PDT
K. Nelson says:
Great review and the pictures are appreciated. My home is built on 16" centers. Can you tell me the wall bracket hole mount spacing. Thanks for the review and the help on measurements.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2009 11:04:44 AM PDT
W. Fox says:
Wall bracket hole mount spacing is 32" from center to center. The holes are slotted horizontally, if I recall maybe 1.5" - 2" long, but I can confirm later!

Posted on Nov 2, 2009 2:13:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2009 2:14:29 PM PST
An Atlantan says:
Thanks for the review, very helpful. I am thinking of mounting this for use in a corner (45 degree mounting angle). Any opinion on doing this with a 46 inch plasma? What i am concerned about is stressing the mount at its full extension on distance AND angle at the same time. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2009 3:00:34 PM PST
W. Fox says:
I think I'm a little unclear on your installation plan jingrah. From what I gather, you have a standard 90degree corner in your room? And you want to put the mount on one of the corners up almost against the corner? Then you want to extend it so that one arm extends real far and one is up close to give a 45degree angle? Sorry if that's not right.

But there really won't be a problem with overstressing it. Just make sure (obviously) that you drill to studs. This mount is built tough. I hung from it at about 3 ft extension, and I weight almost 4 times the TV weight. As long as it's installed level you shouldn't notice a difference. My only concern with your setup, if it is th way I described above, is that you may see the wall mount sticking out from the edge of the TV. You'd have to take some measurements first.

Hope that helps. Let me know if I misunderstood or if you have anymore questions.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2009 11:08:06 AM PST
An Atlantan says:
Yes, that's exactly my plan. I am looking for one that has enough length that I can hang a 46 inch TV in the corner, with the TV basically covering the space between the two walls. That would hopefully solve the issue of seeing the mount past the edge of the TV. I will definitely be getting into the studs on one of the two walls. I didn't realize this would go out as far as 3 feet. I would guess that's more than enough room to get it hung at the right angle. Thanks for the response!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2009 1:25:00 PM PST
W. Fox says:
Cool, well again I'd just be careful. The first thing that I would do is find your studs you'd anchor to. Mark them (with tape or a nail or something that you can visibly see). Then come INSIDE each of those marks about 4 inches (this is the lateral distance from the mount baseplate hole to the start of the extension arm) but that distance I can give you in a few days once i return home. Secondly, I would find out where your TV would line up in the corner. So, take the tv, set it in the corner where you'd like for it to go (on the floor). What you're looking at here is the location of the wall-mounting sockets on the back of the TV. Once your TV is in position in this location I would measure the distance from the wall-mount sockets in the back of the TV to the distance of where you have your 4" offset marks. This is the length of arm required to get your TV in the corner. I can't remember the arm length off the top of my head but again, I can give this to you in a couple of days. If that distance is less than the arm length you're good. The only other thing you'd have to check is the baseplate and if it sticks out at all. I dont remember dimensions of that off the top of my head but I can give them in a few days also.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2009 9:24:26 PM PST
L. Gaebe says:
Jingrah's situation is mine exactly, so thanks for the good suggestions on how to measure the required distance for the angle that I am trying to accomplish in the corner. did you have chance ( and I missed it someplace) to get the measurements of the thickness of the baseplate and the reach of the arm? your review and descriptions have been very helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2009 9:31:28 PM PST
W. Fox says:
Hey yeah sorry, completely forgot. I am at home now and just grabbed the measurements you requested:

Baseplate is 1/8" thick
Distance from wall to pivot immediately behind the TV is exactly 2ft.
The SCREEN of my TV (Samsung 52" 750 series) at full extension is 2'8" away from the wall.

Hope that helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2009 10:05:06 PM PST
L. Gaebe says:
this is helpful, I need to mount a 50" Samsung, so pretty close to the same deal. do you think that if you pulled out one side of the TV and pushed the other toward the wall that the screen would be within 45 degrees of the wall that it is mounted on?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2009 10:12:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2009 10:13:26 PM PST
W. Fox says:
I dont have time to take exact measurements for it, but I JUST NOW pulled one arm all the way out and the other arm all the way collapsed until the TV touched the wall and it was darn close to 45degrees if not capable of MORE than 45degrees. If you're going to try to corner--mount this TV though, you're going to have to start by placing the TV where you want it, and "reverse-engineer" to find where your mount needs to go. That will definitely be a challenge.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›