3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good video cam for price, June 21, 2011
This review is from: GE DV1-GG Waterproof/Shockproof 1080P Pocket Video Camera (Graphite Gray) (Electronics)
Length:: 0:37 Mins

Amazing little camera. It is waterproof. I took it in the shower. Strong water stream and moderately hot water. I found one tiny drop in the USB area. Then I went swimming in the pool and took video and stills under water to a depth of 3 feet. No water found in either the USB or SD card area. Then I took it kayak fishing and sailing in saltwater. Never dunked the camera in the saltwater but it did get splashed and handled with wet hands.

The camera saves video as .MOV files and stills as standard .JPG files. My camera with an 8gig SD card shows about 2 hours and 20 minutes of video record time (720p @ 30 frames per second). The manual gives just the basic functions and was not clear how to charge the camera. Had to figure how to spring open the USB port. The USB charging cable is only about 15" long.

The under water video and stills are amazingly good with bright sunlight in clear pool water. Your not going to win any photo contest with this camera. With the fixed focus 2.8f lens, sharp focus isn't the camera's strong point, but good enough for 4x6 prints with good light. This camera need lots of light. You'll be disappointed in the video of your 80 yr old grandmother blowing out 80 candles. I said fixed focus lens, I should mention fixed zoom lens. It has digital zoom. What a joke. Don't even thing of using the digital zoom. A noisy, unsharp mess in both the video and stills with digital zooming. If you need to zoom, use the professional photographers tip, "Zoom with your feet" get closer.

I am happy with my purchase. I bought it to use on my kayak in wet conditions. Considering the price of other waterproof point and shoot cameras, it's a great bargain.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 27, 2011 7:03:37 PM PDT
Mario G. says:
I appreciate the view review, it's just what I was looking for. I had an Olympus water-proof camera but that's sitting pretty somewhere underwater in the East Caribbean. If I make it back and find it I'm sure it would make for a great marketing ploy. Underwater action is what I was looking for. Rain or shine, I want it to function. Thanks!

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 7:58:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2012 8:05:04 PM PST
Thank you for your review. It's not fair to say 'what a joke' about a feature (digital zoom) that should not be used on any video camera in this price range. It makes one wonder why they offer this feature - another marketing angle I suppose. I just ordered this video camera for use on my Battle of Gettysburg website (www.totalgettysburg.com) and I'll post back here with my findings once I've had a chance to use it in the field.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 7:25:55 AM PDT
C. Lambeth says:
Gettysburg, You cry fowl when the reviewer criticizes the digital zoom feature, but then you affirm its general shoddiness on a "camera in this price range." If the zoom feature blows, but the manufacturer put it on there anyway, then it is indeed "a joke." And a bad one at that, apparently.

-CL

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 1:21:32 AM PST
Thanks for mentioning kayaking. Now I have another use for this camera. Can't wait to get it!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (227 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $176.66