3.0 out of 5 stars The Latest Dan Batch, June 13, 2008
This review is from: Circus Money (Audio CD)
Becker's new album is, as most Dan fans will expect, superbly arranged and performed. Also, the caliber of its musicianship and the subtleties of its production are astounding.

So why three stars? If you are a loyal worshipper of what Steely Dan produced and still represent to contemporary music, you may want more, and more in the sense of originality rather novelty, this is where Becker, to me, falls a bit short. One specific aspect of this is the preponderance of songs influenced by Reggae rhythms, a genre I love but find too "slicked up" here, for my taste.

Of course, he "owns" the Dan sound as much as Fagen, and there no laws against plagiarizing yourself, still the music is too predictable, if you will, and does not take the chances in expanding the Dan universe that prior solo albums--by him and Fagen--took in the past.

This is the paradox for me, no song will join the pantheon of Steely Dan classics yet more than one of these tunes may end up one of your favorite tracks of '08. So, if you can be satisfied with more of their sound, you'd be happy, but if you're looking for a remarkable album you may not be ecstatic.

You might call me unfair in holding Becker to a higher standard than so many other people out there but consider it a tribute to the great influence his work has had in the past on me, rather than any kind of vendetta. In conclusion, more than good enough to own, yet not an album that might dominate your playlists.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 18, 2008 3:02:07 PM PDT
Daddy Duayne says:
This was one of the most thoughtful, helpful, yet concise reviews I've ever read. I am a devoted Steely Dan fan, and as most of will, I'll automatically buy anything they put out, collectively or individually.
Yet I found this "tough-love" review to be fair without being fawning or overly harsh.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2008 1:14:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2008 8:37:37 AM PDT
Agreed. I would have to say though that "Bob is not your uncle any more" should be given the benefit of the doubt as to the possibility of joining the pantheon of Steely Dan classics...

I have to say I really like that song, I mean...

"And I say it without pride and without shame
That the dopey Irish Setter dog -
Regan's still his name
Well he looks right glad to see you
But he might not want to be you
Even though he loves you madly from before
Before Bob was not your uncle anymore"

... that sure sounds like Dan pantheon material to me.

Posted on Jun 17, 2010 3:52:20 PM PDT
J. Turner says:
Y'know, I'm 50, grew up with this stuff, love it, but now it sounds good but OLD

Juan, I think you hit it on spot.

And btw, the more I hear their solo stuff, the more I thing Becker was the real spark behind SD.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (62 customer reviews)

Add to wishlist