2.0 out of 5 stars Oddly boring..., May 23, 2009
This review is from: A Duke to Die For: The Rogues' Dynasty (Mass Market Paperback)
I am pretty surprised to see the other positive reviews here. While the overall plot of this book was perfectly acceptable, the execution was TERRIBLE! 19-year-old heroine becomes ward of rakish hero, instant attraction leads to love. Not the most scintillating outline, but had potential. Beyond boring dialog and shallow characterization, there were a number of head-scratching turn-offs for me. A few are listed below, though there are certainly others...

1. He asks a former mistress to chaperone his ward, our heroine. This is somewhat off-putting, but seems like this could be a potential twist down the road, right? Wrong. Heroine never puts 2+2 together and it just makes for somewhat awkward, clunky reading.

2. A personal peeve of mine, hero sleeps with someone else after meeting and acknowledging fledgling feelings for heroine. Not only does he have sex with someone else, it's a tavern whore and this incident barely gets a full paragraph description, let alone any indication of remorse from the hero.

3. This was probably the kicker for me. The biggest conflict/exciting moment of the story, the catalyst for declarations of undying love... involves an allergic reaction to a dog. Not anaphylactic shock, death looming large variety of allergy. Just the sneezing and wheezing variety. While overwrought plot twists can sometimes be annoying, come ON! Itchy eyes and an aborted carriage ride does not make for exciting reading.

This is the first Amelia Grey book I've read. Perhaps this offering is in keeping with her normal style and it's just not my cup of tea. This was obviously the first in a trilogy about 3 male cousins. I can't say I'll be awaiting those releases with bated breath but at least the series has nowhere to go but up.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 13, 2010 10:25:50 PM PST
Misuzmama says:
Excellent review.
I had the same gripes with this novel. I kept waiting for something to happen but the whole think seemed to fizzle in the end. Meh!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2010 9:55:05 PM PDT
emwhist says:
Thanks! Has anyone read the 5-star review on this book from RD/Read Daily? I'm pretty sure it's the author herself and I just about peed myself laughing at the defensiveness...

Posted on May 28, 2010 10:07:04 AM PDT
Gemma says:
Well said! I've enjoyed Amelia Grey before, but this novel was a clunker. When I have to keep bargaining with myself to just read one more chapter, I know it's time to quit and read something else.

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 7:11:23 AM PST
J. Betterly says:
Thank you so much - you saved me buying this. I'm with you, especially on points 1 and 2 - it totally ruins the romance for me when they do stuff like that. Ug.

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 8:53:18 PM PDT
I completely agree with your review. The book is just...plodding is really the only word I can come up with. The writing is boring. I don't even really like the main characters, especially the duke. He seems selfish and self-centered, and the relationship, if you can call it that, is hardly developed.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (16 customer reviews)

$6.99 $6.29