5.0 out of 5 stars The best game of the year for sure., August 24, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Deus Ex Human Revolution - Augmented Edition - PC (Video Game)
If you are considering picking this game up do not wait as it is more of a modern masterpiece then a game. From the start you can tell there is a lot going on and nothing can prepare you for what will unfold in a dark but vibrant setting filled with a looming feel that things are always not as they seem.

Like I good book that you cannot put down I found myself forcing myself to stop playing instead of feeling that I had played enough so if you have concerns that this title will not live up to the original Deus Ex, you can lay them to rest. The story couldn't have stayed truer to the Deus Ex series and Square-Enix/Eidos Montreal have done what no publisher is willing to do these days and that is to make an amazing PC game.

So if Ubisoft, EA (Especially BioWare with ME3 on the horizon), Activision/Blizzard, Rockstar, 2kGames, Bethesda or other major publishers are paying attention look at what Square-Enix has done here and see how it is that you make a game for the PC.

When you release your next PC game, look at Deus Ex Human Revolution on the PC:

49.99 with 10% off on pre-order
No install limits, internet connection required, phoning home or any other anti-consumer DRM
On Steam and Retail stores
Not a console port
No Games for Windows Live or Origin etc.
Runs at first launch with no issues

If it doesn't meet these points just don't bother releasing the PC version because Square-Enix, Valve and dozens of Indie developers will continue making games many others, including myself want and will gladly spend my money on those games instead.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 25, 2011 8:05:17 AM PDT
Am I asuming correctly that you can save the game at any time and do not have to wait until you stumble apon a check point?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2011 2:20:45 PM PDT
That is correct. You can save whenever you want (at least it's true for PC version)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2011 9:41:49 AM PDT
Thank you for the feedback. This is wonderful news. I'm definately buying Deus Ex: HR now. I just hope that upcoming Rage PC and Skyrim PC does not get bungled the way Wolfenstein PC was in respect to game saves.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2011 11:24:36 PM PDT
TaeHee Kim says:
you can even save during the battle on the boss.

Posted on Aug 31, 2011 10:47:05 PM PDT
brainiac says:
I like this game. I don't terribly mind Steam. But it is hilarious to see people claim that a Steam benefit is 'no DRM' and 'no Internet connection required'. Steam IS DRM. You NEED an Internet connection to ... connect to it! It's exactly the same 'draconian' DRM that people decry when other companies use it ("You mean I have to connect to the Internet? Lame! I'm downloading it from Steam!").

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2011 5:30:19 PM PDT
Josh says:
I never said anything about Steam not being DRM but for me Steam adds more value then it takes away when I buy games and there is the always online part of it but the offline mode has never failed for me either.

Yes it is DRM, but done right and is the perfect balance for me. I'm aware that I put a lot of trust in Valve with the massive title collection of games I have there (this point seems to be the main argument I hear about Steam) but I can also count endless CDs for games I've had that were damaged, lost or stolen and will never be found again so that system also has it's flaws too.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2011 3:32:27 PM PDT
No its not, you only need to be online for the first time you install/run the game. From thewn on you can play offline, Steam has an offline mode you know? UBISOFT requires you to be online AT ALL times even for games that have no multiplayer

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 9:57:15 PM PDT
Facelord says:
This and Batman: Arkham City will look stunning in Eyefinity mode. Maybe I should try to secure two extra monitors a little earlier than I had previously planned. Hmmm~

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2011 9:05:40 PM PDT
SAS says:
Yes, Steam is DRM, but imho, it's the lesser of two evils -like Josh says, it offers a lot of value for its presence -my favorites are automatic patches/updates, synching between machines, file integrity tools, and some really killer deals that come up fairly often -making it worth purchasing some games that I otherwise might not have bothered with. I'll take them anytime over securom and disk checks. Sorry man, but it just isn't the same middle finger to the PC gaming community as other types of DRM, and in no way is it draconian. To each his own, I guess, but the game companies are going to try to protect their IPs -as a computer guy and a control freak over my tech, I personally don't blame them, and I'm not offended by Steam. My preference is that if the DRM is gonna be there, it should at least be beneficial.

Don't agree with me? That's fine. I don't need you to. But I suspect that you'll find that as time goes by, we PC gamers are going to slide from being 2nd to 3rd class citizens to most of the a-list publishers, and it's outfits like Steam that'll continue making it worth bothering to keep big gaming rigs like yours and mine up to date with the latest high powered hardware.. anyway blah blah. Please don't take this as a criticism of your point of view -more like my piece in what I find to be an interesting debate...

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 9:25:58 PM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
If Steam is required I will pass. I hate Steam. Their loss.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›