Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts for Her Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on HTL

1,052 of 1,088 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Garmin's nuvi 1450LMT is Outstanding, October 24, 2010
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 1450LMT 5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Map & Traffic Updates (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Researching GPS devices was and is worse than buying a car with all the different product offerings and features plus none of the model numbering seems to make sense which was even more frustrating. You can't tell a low end unit from a high end unit. Garmin is no different either.

Through all of that I am very pleased that I settled on the Garmin 1450. IMO Garmin has made a wonderful device. The UI is very intuitive and very easy to operate even with my big hands. The touch screen is very accurate and responsive. From power up to satelite acquisiiton takes seconds. The turn by turn instructions are very clear but a bit too chatty. We have found the street name pronunciations fairly entertaining. The points of interest have been pretty accurate as has the gas station mapping and the hospitals and such. The bread and butter of a GPS is really whether it can get you where you need to go especially if you as the operator have no idea. I have travelled outside my area of familiarity a few times now and this GPS receiver has been flawless. The screen size is very nice and easy to read while driving.

This unit I purchased has liftime maps and traffic. So the first thing I did was register the unit and update the maps. The web site is pretty easy to navigate on. The map update was simple but just expect it to take awhile. The traffic portion seems to work however to date it has not offered any alternate routes so I can't judge its effectiveness. Nor have I tried the blutooth functionality.

This unit comes with everything you need so unless you want extra power cords or something there is no need for anything extra. The window suction cup works well. The unit fell once but I found I did not seat the suction cup very well. They do have a weighted mount that sits on the dashboard which would be better if you have a co-pilot and you need to look for alternate addresses or something. I found putting the unit in the middle of the window creates an annoyingly large blind spot. So I now put it to the left of the steering wheel.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

Showing 1-10 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 12, 2010 12:53:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2010 12:54:20 PM PST
kklatu says:
It does't have bluetooth tech. I encourage drivers to check Garmin's website for features.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2010 10:34:34 AM PST
Garbonzo says:
Nor do you even need Bluetooth. I think it's a useless GPS feature since most smartphones would be able to provide the extra info you need.

Posted on Dec 5, 2010 4:46:01 AM PST
A. Lauer says:
I demoed the bluetooh version (1490LMT) for a couple weeks. The one feature I hated was the bluetooth because it was nearly impossible to use - maybe it works better if you're in a luxury car that drowns out road noise so you can be heard, but if you own such a car you probably have both bluetooth and a GPS built in. Stick with the non-bluetooth versions.

Posted on Dec 21, 2010 7:57:34 AM PST
Specklebang says:
I would appreciate an answer from you. I'm wanting to buy this unit. Does the unit mount to a cradle or does the power wire plug directly into the unit? My current 755 lets me run the wire from my dash and into the cradle. Then I just clip or unclip the unit when I park. My friend got a TomTom and she has to unplug the power thingy from the unit each time which is silly.

So, I hope my question made sense (I'm an old guy so be tolerant). Can I just plug the cradle in or must I plug into the unit body?

Anybody? Please?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2010 9:12:14 PM PST
Miss Marion says:
You have to plug the power into the device itself. The cradle is not powered.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2010 9:18:01 AM PST
Specklebang says:
Thank you for answering my question. This is very sad. It seems that all the 5" screens have to be plugged directly whereas all the 4.3" screens plug into the cradle, which is much more convenient.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2011 2:06:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2011 2:06:40 PM PST
Specklebang, I don't think a single current (2010 or later, maybe even 2009 or later) model GPS has a plug-in cradle power supply - they all require the owner to plug the power cord directly into the unit. With Magellan GPS units, it's very tricky to plug and unplug the unit while it's in its cradle mount and somewhat easier with Garmin and TomTom units. Your 755 has a good and useful feature but I bet it costs Garmin 50 cents more to make so they abandoned the powered cradle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2011 5:27:45 PM PST
Specklebang says:
Thanks O'Nameless One. This is bad news. I park in bad neighborhoods and failure to remove my GPS equals a broken window. The cradles are easy to use and the combination of plugging it in and then clipping it on seems very tedious.
I swear we are moving backwards in time. You'd think they would improve their products, not "disimprove" them. My maps are a year old or more and I would just love to get a new GPS instead of paying $60 to update y current one which is showing signs of senility.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2011 9:33:45 PM PST
B. R. Snyder says:
The 2350 has a powered cradle, and I believe that is newer than the 14xx series. The manual for the 37xx also shows a powered cradle, and I know that is a new model series. I agree it's a pain in the butt not to have a powered cradle and I don't know why they got rid of it for (it appears) only the 11xx through 14xx series. Plus not having one means you lose the "where did I park my car" feature. I never use it myself, but I know some people do. I also have a 755 which no longer works right, and will probably wind up with this model instead because the 2350 has some wonky routing glitches in my testing so far. But I will definitely miss the powered cradle.

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 10:39:13 PM PDT
Am I missing something or are we supposed to be rating the Garmin 1490! not the 1450
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›