Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

5.0 out of 5 stars Behind The Curtain, March 24, 2012
This review is from: Forgive Me, Alex (Tony Hooper Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I have a sick fascination with serial killers. I'm not talking like so sick I want to date Jeffrey Dahmer or anything like that - I am not completely nutters! My sick fascination lies in my overwhelming desire to get into the head of serial killers - to find out what makes them tick.

I suppose this fascination is partly responsible for my going to university for a criminal justice degree, my wealth of grisly murder mysteries and my desire to watch horror gore (even though I can't stand blood in real life). My fascination with serial killers and their ilk make Lane Diamond's "Forgive Me, Alex" a more than perfect novel for curling up with my Kindle Fire.

The Cover
Lately I have been considering the cover more and more, its an important element when it comes to deciding to read a novel. The cover art for "Forgive Me, Alex" hit the money right on the mark. The gunshots, the blood, the peak of the newspaper article, the photo - it all ties elements of the overall story of Tony Hooper into a package that is beyond enticing.

The Story
The story is split between two time periods - 1978 when Mitchell Norton held court during his reign of terror and 1995 when Mitchell Norton is released upon society once again. There are many books out there that try to effectively "split perspective" in an effort to provide a unique experience for the reader. While a laudable ambition - few, if any (in my opinion), accomplish the goal they set out to conquer in any measurable manner.

Lane Diamond, he did it the right way. He was able to shift back and forth between 1978 and 1995 with such ease it never detracted from the story he was trying to tell and only added to the mystery of how things were going to turn out.

I appreciated the chance to "sit in the passenger seat" to Diamond's serial killer. While I will not make you groan by saying Diamond made a serial killer seem more human, less of a monster - his critical stroke of the pen provided a perspective that sketched out more defined dimensions of a character type that is so often seen as two dimensional and flat.

My Final Thoughts
I have actually read this story twice, yes twice! There are new things to discover each time you read it and I would encourage you to pick it up again, see what you can discover about Tony Hooper the second time around ... and see what you can maybe discover about yourself. I was able to understand my sick fascination with serial killers and horror gore a little better with the aide of "Forgive Me, Alex" - it is the only media representation of such a horrific character type that effectively goes beyond the curtain.

Initially I was bothered by what seemed to (me) the lack of depth of the female characters - one of the main ones being Agent Linda Monroe. However as the novel progressed, I saw the lack of depth less and less as a hindrance to the overall story and more as a representation of something Tony Hooper was grasping at to achieve.

Read if...
You like to read murder-centered stories.
You like to get behind the mind of the bad guy.
You like to know about the back story (just as much as the current story), the why of why things are happening the way they are.
You ever wanted to know what one of the more "sick" bad guys was thinking.

****note: I received a free or discounted copy of this item in exchange for an honest and impartial review****

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]