87 of 93 people found the following review helpful
Buy at your own peril.,
This review is from: Lexx Season 3 & 4 (DVD)
The loathsome Echo Bridge strikes again! Here's everything you need to know:
- Five single-sided discs for 37 episodes stacked on a spindle
- The discs AREN'T NUMBERED, nor do they indicate which episodes are where, nor is there an insert provided with this information. Think about this: THEY COULDN'T NUMBER THE DISCS
- At least one disc (4) has a whopping ten episodes crammed onto it! This makes no sense given the episode-to-disc ratio
- Per above, there is noticeable pixelation/image break-up whenever several objects are on the screen and for fast-moving objects
- No extras (expected)
- For one last insult, the final episode (one of the series' finest) is actually OVERSCANNED. The top and bottom of the image don't touch the screen edge and there are junk artifacts playing across the top, ala something you'd see on a bootleg or a work print. I also noticed the first episode of Season 3 has the same issue, minus the artifacts. No doubt other episodes have similar problems, but I wasn't about to waste my time on this set anymore
The above, coupled with the fact that EB couldn't be bothered to number the discs, and gives you a monochrome cover with images from the first season (for third and fourth season content) is beyond incompetence. Fans are better off paying for the out-of-print Acorn releases which have a superior presentation.
UPDATE: I bought the Alliance version of Season 3 (http://www.amazon.com/Lexx-Season-Boxset-Brian-Downey/dp/B0040MGVE8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1333499347&sr=8-5) and was relieved to discover that the image quality is on par with the Acorn release. I have no reason to believe that their S2 and S4 sets are of lesser quality, so I urge fans to consider these too. Just don't get the Echo Bridge sets, whatever you do.
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 4, 2012 10:59:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 4, 2012 11:02:25 AM PDT
Daniel J Gallagher says:
Echo Bridge has a hit or miss on dvd quality but I knew that after having bought some of thier $5 movie collections - bought season 1 for $3 at the local Target (Echo Bridge and "low and behold image quality was good" but sound has some bad spots) - bought the rest of the series from Amazon but purchased the Alliance version - more money than Echo Bridge by far but very good quality in every aspect. I agree with reviewer on Echo Bridge as a provider of dvds but I rate the series itself at 5* - as they say, "you get what you pay for".
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012 8:20:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 4, 2012 8:21:05 PM PDT
Yes, I agree that Echo Bridge's Season 1 release is rock solid. I didn't notice the audio problems, but I'm more of a videophile and don't have the equipment for that. And I also test-bought Alliance's Season 3 set and am very pleased. I'll definitely be purchasing Alliance's releases for the rest of the series.
Posted on Dec 16, 2013 8:24:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2013 8:24:40 PM PST
Thank you for this information. It is appreciated!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›