Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular Picture - 4-5 Star review, May 3, 2013
This review is from: Samsung UN55F7100 55-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Ultra Slim Smart LED HDTV (2013 Model) (Electronics)
I researched this TV by looking at all the online reviews for the model ES7100, ES8000 & F8000 Samsung models. I went to Best Buy and watched the F7100 on live TV (baseball game). Reading that the gesture and voice commands caused issues, auto-dimming and higher 720 motion ratings many not make that much difference in overall performance - except in price (up to $400), I took the F7100 into consideration. There is a Quad vs. Dual processor down grade with the F7100. I leaned more towards the F7100 because of price vs. features, 3rd model down from the top. I actually enjoy messing with picture settings and making the picture perfect. I ordered online and purchased a 3 year warranty at a very good price. I was nervous about reading the one star reviews but I am also coming from a 10 year old Samsung 46" DLP TV that has worked flawlessly the whole time. I thought I would take the plunge and glad I did. I wanted an LED TV vs. a Plasma, but in the store they both looked great.

I've had this UN55F7100 Samsung model for about a week now. I would rate it between 4 to 5 stars and here's why.
After a few hours of playing with the picture settings and advanced settings, using a Time Warner cable box with HDMI connection, the picture is spectacular for 95% of the HD content. The other 5% is due to the "soap opera" effect or some minor juddering but not enough to sway me. Sometimes it almost seems "too clear" (I guess that why it is called soap opera). I read in one of the reviews to turn off the "Digital Noise" setting and custom reduce the juddering in the advance settings. That seems to work.

I love to watch my sports, specifically hockey and with the Stanley Cup Playoffs currently playing, to me it is like watching it Live- Awesome picture. The TV is awesome with sports and I did NOT encounter any juddering with the puck or players. The ice, people and play was just so enjoyable I was glued to the screen. No "soap opera" effects with sports. The dark and black scenes are super crisp & pitch black, better than I have ever seen on any other DLP or LED TV. Flesh tones are mixed in standard setting with some picture calibration of the settings I was able to get them very good. Most of the time the flesh tone is excellent, other times a little off. I think it really has more to do with the HD content. Example: American Idol the flesh tone was perfect, in commercials; some are perfect others not so much.

Set up was easy although the user manual is very light in content. 2D to 3D is cool but not why I bought it. Looking to play 3D Blu-ray on my new OPPO Player I purchased from Amazon. (I'll be reviewing that soon). The internet set up was easy but login process and apps are clumsy. I have not been able to check out for very long so it could be user error on my part. I was able to launch a movie menu but have not paid for one yet. Tried to launch Netflix but that was not successful, I need more time to investigate. The TV guide loaded from the cable box however changing the channels using the TV did not change the channel (I have to use the cable remote like before on my old TV), again something I need to investigate before I determine it is a TV issue however it did recognize the guide and lists the programs. The firmware did update fine. Sound is OK and the TV has a few different sound settings but nothing special. The HDMI inputs are on one side of the TV and power cord on the other side. Small detail but interferes with some cable management. The stand/base is for the most part sturdy & swivels but it is plastic and not metal as I was expecting. For a 55" TV you need 2 people to properly put it together, but it is up in about 20 minutes.

I did not buy the TV for the "Smart HUB/internet" (but did buy the OPPO Blu-ray player for Netflix) and I did not buy it for the sound as I have an Onkyo receiver and JBL speakers. I DID buy it for the best LED TV & picture. My wife and mother-in-law just love the picture and can't get over the clarity on shows like Idol, Dateline, Criminal Minds, etc.. Friends can't believe the great picture. Overall I love the TV and hopefully soon will work through the other things like "Smart Hub" and the "Recommendation Guide" built in the TV.

Star Rating: 4-1/2 stars overall, 5 stars on sports, 5 stars on Black/Dark Scenes, 4 stars "Soap Opera" effect (Still working on settings), Internet/Guide 3 stars for now until I get that resolved, Samsung service has been great but I only did "Chat" asking about TV Internet Set up.

I'm sure with all new products there are going to be some that out of the box are not good, for me, it has worked great since set up and running it for about a week. I also read it takes over a month for the colors to "settle in". Non-HD picture is just OK - but I came from a DLP TV so I would compare it as the same as my old TV. This TV is made for Blu-ray and HD content.

I tried to be as clear as possible in my review because I know there are others who may spend a lot of money for a TV. Yes it is expensive, but I also spent a lot on a Blu-ray player because I want the Ferrari TV. Yes, for the money is should be perfect, and it's not, but from what I saw in with my eyes and reading the reviews, I'm glad I chose the F7100 Samsung.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 11 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 64 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 4, 2013 8:07:06 AM PDT
David G says:
Hello Kings Fan,

Thank you for posting your thoughtful review, it was very informative. I have been looking at some of the same televisions you have, and the F7100 may be a good alternative for me to some upper models with bells and whistles that don't interest me. If you have the chance to respond to a few questions, I would appreciate it.

How is the off-angle viewing? My family watches a six year old Samsung LCD that has served us well, but I am ready for a bigger screen. I have read that some of the newer LED sets have poor off-angle viewing, and we don't all squeeze onto one couch!

Which OPPO did you get? I'm looking forward to your review. Did you replace another Blu-ray player? We have a Samsung wifi Blu-ray player, and we don't usually watch Blu-ray movies, but I hear such good things about the OPPO's that I'm interested.

I would also like to hear if you get your Netflix issue resolved. We watch a lot of Netflix.

Thanks, and good luck to the Kings in the playoffs!

David

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2013 12:36:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2013 1:30:40 PM PDT
Kingsfan 760 says:
David, I have a U shaped sectional and from dead center to the side about 4-5 feet, I don't see a problem with it. My DLP was terrible. I believe the viewing angle is good on this TV and do not see any problems. My viewing room is about 20' x 20' with the TV in one corner. The one thing I noticed today is the glare can be noticeable during dark scenes in the middle of the day but I have a lot of windows and French doors where the TV is located. My mother-in-law lays on the end of the sectional nearly at a 90 degree angle. The LED is bright so in my opinion it does not deteriorate that much.

Regarding the OPPO player, it is a BDP-103 - $500 model and worth every penny. I came from an up-converting Denon player and it served its purpose for many years and regular DVDs and sound, but I never had Blu-ray before. Everything works perfect including NETFLIX and my router is far away with a low signal. I use YouTube, Pandora Radio and signed up for Netflix today for the first time. It works perfectly through the OPPO player, even with a low signal and low data transfer rate (budget cable internet). Picture and sound is awesome but I suggest a receiver with HDMI because my older Onkyo uses optical and there can be a delay if you go HDMI for picture and optical for sound. A new receiver will be my next purchase but still a great sound with my Onkyo. Maneuvering through the menus, Apps and settings is VERY EASY with OPPO. The one and only glitch was when I first set up with Netflix, after the install I had to restart the OPPO but that was the only thing. I will post a OPPO review soon after a few more days with it.

Please feel free to ask me questions because I did a lot of looking before my purchases and I am not the most tech savvy guy. BTW the judder is mostly gone since I made those changes in the noise filter setting. For the money, I LOVE this F7100 model even with my smart hub challenges - I still have to contact Samsung to work through that. With the OPPO Apps the TV smart hub is a non-issue for me.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2013 3:15:43 AM PDT
nicks says:
I read that this 7100 model drops down to a dual core processor from a quad core in the higher models. How smooth is the transition from feature to feature when browsing around the smart hub? Does it lag at all due to lack of processing power or flow smoothly? Also do you use the remote that comes with this tv if so how do you like it? Do you think I would be better off with a nice universal remote? Thanks for input.

Nick

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2013 9:48:34 AM PDT
David G says:
Thank you for your response, I appreciate your time. Glad to hear about the viewing angle, and I appreciate your suggesting about the OPPO and a receiver with HDMI connections. I am currently using an ancient Sony home theater receiver, so upgrading would be something to consider.

I will be interested in learning whether you can get your tv remote to properly operate your TWC cable box. The remote with our current six year old Samsung tv was supposed to operate our cable box, but I could never make it work right. We continue to use that clunky TWC remote.

David

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2013 11:01:18 AM PDT
Cahn says:
How is the input lag on this TV? Does it compare favorably with plasmas or are LED TVs still lacking here?

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2013 11:42:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2013 12:22:19 PM PDT
Kingsfan 760 says:
Nick-- from what I was told the dual was more towards the Apps and not the TV so it is hard for me to comment. I have not been able to experiment with the smart hub feature because I do it all through my OPPO-103 player. Using the remote to spell out the movies, search, passwords, login, etc. I have experienced and is kind of a pain with the remote. Maneuvering between Twitter, Facebook, Netflix icons don't lag and I really do not see it there but I have not tried to launch the programs which is where the processors work. I use my OPPO because it is easy and works flawlessly. In the future, I will try and make them work. Regarding the Samsung remote, I really like it. Not just buttons but the "track pad" makes it easy to slide your finger on it and move across several menus quickly. Hope that helps.

David-- regarding the TWC box is does read the channels and I can see the what is coming up but when I click on the channel, it does not change channels nor does it have a browse history of the channels I have viewed. This week I will be contacting Samsung to see if there is a way to fix this. At original set up it asks you to test the up/down channels, it did not work. The last try was to enter the model number of the TWC box into the Samsung TV, I did not get to that step because I have to get behind the TV and will try that later but I am still using the TWC remote, so I have 3 remotes out = TWC, Samsung and OPPO. The TWC remote does however work the volume and on/off functions of the TV.

Cahn-- I'm not sure what you mean by input lag (I'm not that tech savvy). If you are taking about the juddering, there still is some but I noticed on only a few shows, other shows and sports I don't see any lag. There still is the refresh rate comparison to Plasma however I do not see that with the sports I watch and really enjoy the brightness LEDs offer compared to Plasma, just my preference, as I like the brightness and clarity of this TV. If you can clarify the lag you are asking about, I would be happy to reply and answer the best I can.

BTW, I've been watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs non-stop and I am even more impressed with the performance of the TV every single day, it is just fantastic!! This is also convincing me more and more that the picture has a lot to do with the feed of the original HD source not just the TV.

Posted on May 7, 2013 10:06:25 PM PDT
Meg Crawford says:
Hey,

Thank you so much for the very thoughtful and thorough review. I've been investigating the F7100 for a couple months now and am on the verge of purchasing. Just wondering if you bought through Amazon? I've been a very loyal Amazon customer in the past and while they have a very competitive price, I am somewhat hesitant to purchase something so large and pricey over the web. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Meg

Posted on May 8, 2013 6:29:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 8, 2013 6:31:17 PM PDT
AladdinSane says:
Howdy E...Pardon my ignorance in asking, but what is an OPPO blu-ray player?
It looks like my lady and I will be purchasing the 60f7100 next week at BestBuy.
My one question, though: The active glasses are tinted from what we experienced at BB last week upon checking this model out with a visual demo of 3D video. The 3D effect was exceptional, but the picture itself seemed dark like...as if televiewing with sunglasses on. Am I making sense? Upon calibrating the set when we get it home will I be able to "brighten" the picture somewhat and avoid (as much as I can) this "sunglasses effect"...so to speak? The BB test demo TV was set at 100% backlight and 75% brightness. I thought the tube would blow at those settings, so to speak, and still the picture, with active specs, appeared not as bright it should IMHO. This is why we hesitated in making the purchase then and there. I keep thinking 3D televiewing would appear brighter with a passive tech set, as those from LG or Sony. What's your experience with the Samsung's PQ brightness? Please inform when you can. I sure would appreciate it.
Peace!<-AladdinSane <- :-)

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2013 6:20:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2013 9:35:07 PM PDT
Kingsfan 760 says:
Meg, I did not purchase from Amazon only because of price, but the price has come down to what I paid just recently. I chose an internet dealer that was excellent in communication and shipping. I was nervous but the price was several hundred dollars less so I took a chance. No returns-only warranty. The Amazon price is very competitive now with their recent price drop. I purchased everything else from Amazon (OPPO Player, movies, cables, etc.).

Aladdin, the OPPO is the Brand name and a high end Blu-ray player that you can search and purchase here at Amazon (where I purchased mine). 3D was not a main concern in my purchase however I have tried them and you are correct and there is some "tint" but the picture is still bright. I have my backlight turned down some but you could easily make adjustments and if you are watching a movie you can change it to dynamic setting and adjust the colors. I personally never noticed it until you mentioned it in your post. I don't know what PQ is but I continue to play around with the settings. Picture is very bright so I don't think 3D would be an issue.

UPDATE 5/9:

Spoke to Samsung and they stated that they had issues with the server. Finally got the Netflix app working however it takes forever to load compared to me using the OPPO player. It finally loaded the movie icons, slowly, and then I launched a movie. The first time it took forever, I got out of it. 2nd time I was able to re-launch the movie but kept having to "load", I left it loading and after a couple minutes it did start the movie and played fine.

I have to say the OPPO player is way faster loading and playing, and I believe I get a better picture on the OPPO player than through the Samsung TV. I do want to say in fairness to Samsung, they were always there when I called or chatted, and the Netflix App did play but I will be using my OPPO player for Netflix as it is easier.

Hopefully I will have another update as I try the other Samsung Apps.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2013 8:56:56 AM PDT
AladdinSane says:
ReHi E...PQ stands for picture quality...2 B continued...Peace<-AladdinSane <- :-)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›