3.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to give this 5 stars, but..., December 17, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PlayStation 3D display (Video Game)
So much has been covered in other reviews that I'll just cut right to what matters to me.

I could probably qualify as a Sony Fanboy. I've had a PS3 since launch, had a VITA pre-ordered within 30 minutes of it showing up on Amazon and have a nice collection of other Sony electronics. I would love to give this 5 stars and use ZOMG Awesome at least 20 times, but unfortunately I can't.

Sony really hyped this up as a premium 3D display with stunning picture and sound. I think it fell quite short of the expectations Sony set for it. Overall, it's not a bad product, just completely overhyped.

First, the sound is really weak. I have a basic set of 2.1 computer speakers that absolutely blow it away. The sound is about typical for what you would expect for TV speakers. Unfortunately Sony led us to believe these would go far above the average TV speakers. I also don't notice any hint of a subwoofer. I use the new Sony PlayStation Headphones when playing PS3 games, but more on that in a bit.

Second, glare. If you have a light source behind where you're sitting the glare will be so bad you won't be able to see through it to see the screen. In my case, when using the 3D glasses, I was getting bad glare reflecting both on the screen and on the inside of the glasses. I can only use the 3D enjoyably when I'm playing in a completely dark room.

Third, either I have a really big head or the glasses are made for teenagers. The pressure on the ends of the arms of the glasses is so tight I get pain and headaches after 30-45 minutes of use. By an hour it's unbearable. I understand you don't want them to fall off, but it's not like I'm going to be wearing the glasses while riding a roller coaster. What's even worse is that I use the PlayStation Headphones while gaming. Trying to use the headphones and the glasses is really difficult. I can tilt the ends of the glasses up slightly but then the glasses are even tighter on my head. Granted, both things are competing for the same physical space, but I think if the glasses weren't so tight I could more easily find a comfortable position.

Last, I'm not impressed with this display as a computer monitor. I'm running it in a dual display with a LG IPS monitor. The PlayStation Display doesn't even compare. The text is really pixelated and fuzzy, although it seems to be getting clearer the more I use it. A lot of my programs have an all white background and on the PlayStation Display the white background doesn't look even across the whole monitor. If I move my head areas of white get lighter and darker as I move.

So far I've only had this happen when being used as a computer monitor, but infrequently the screen blacks out and then the picture comes back after 4-5 seconds. I've seen this in other reviews too I'm not sure what this means but this doesn't leave me with a lot of confidence that this monitor is going to have a long life.

In Conclusion, I think this is a decent product that Sony completely advertised wrong. Sony should have advertised this as an affordable (helped by now being $100 less) entry-level Playstation 3 only 3D display. Sure, you can use this as a computer monitor, or to hookup your Wii, but this is really meant to be used only with your PS3. It's an OK PS3 display, but it's not great. If it's properly priced and advertised an OK PS3 display can be OK and doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Given the seemingly disappointing launch of this product, it's probably safe to say we'll never see a larger 32" version. But if this is the best Sony can do, maybe it's for the best.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 18, 2011 9:58:57 PM PST
Member says:
Best buy has it for $299.99 (Dec18) but its limited time offer

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 10:15:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2011 10:15:39 PM PST
Very helpful review. Thanks man. I have my share of sony products and I have come to know what to expect, above average products but not the best. Lol
At $299 this monitor is q go, but at $399 or above. Meh

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 9:22:49 PM PST
David Weihe says:
I'd recommend it at $299.99. It's a fine entry-level option. As a Silver RZ member, I'm bummed I didn't buy it from BB. A ~$230 price match would be greatly appreciated. With Amazon once it ships, you're stuck. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 3:29:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2011 3:29:58 PM PST
elgreco says:
You're not stuck! Just refuse the shipment when it arrives. Its one of tthe many great perks you get by shopping at Amazon. It goes back like nothing ever happened. (Now, if you're not physically there when it arrives, you'll have to return it the normal way)

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 6:52:59 AM PST
I've seen this in Best buy and agree with everything you said. I'm a fanboy as well and for sure wouldve bought this on release if it was sold by itself. Best Buy has it for 299 but that's even too much for me. This product is targeted at dad's that have two boys. The full screen split screen view is the cool thing. Other than that everything about it stinks. Colors look really washed out

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 9:56:04 AM PST
Call me when this is $149. This is not a $500 quality display, nor a $299 quality. You can get a 32 " 1080p Samsung for that price.
This price is over inflated because of the throw in items (glasses/game/cable) which are not worth $150 at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 11:53:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2012 11:55:39 PM PST
MakaiOokami says:
Sven unless you can find a 3D t.v. in that price range for under 200 dollars your comment is fallacious.

There's no 32 inch samsung HD t.v. on Amazon for the 200-300 price range. At least not a 3D capable one. If you're buying this product other than the 3D/Simulview stuff, you might be an imbecile. A standard PC monitor with a 5ms response time or lower is perfectly suited for such tasks. If you're thinking of buying the product called: 3D Playstation Display for a reason other than the fact that it has active shutter glasses... you're an imbecile.

T.v. 200-300 dollars (no t.v. or PC display even has 3D at that price point on Amazon)
Motorstorm 20-50 dollars
HDMI - negligible at best for price
Active Shutter glasses 50 dollars.

You're looking to 300-400 dollars standalone which is what this is priced at, at the time of this post. You can't compare non-3D displays to a 240hz t.v. built around the idea of 3D content and claim to have any sort of intellectual honesty.

400 is a fair price for the 3D capabilities so long as the hardware stands up to snuff. I can't find any better deals. That doesn't mean that there aren't any, but you would need to prove your case.

It's also important to remember that you need a gaming mode if you want actually reasonable response times. If you're looking at a 24-70 ms display (like my cheapo Sanyo) you're not getting good quality for the money.

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 10:22:12 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 8:59:30 AM PDT
Steven says:
lol wut?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 3:54:35 AM PDT
SD says:
Right now it is $200 at sony.com and gamestop. I think that the sale only lasts till july 31st and I just found out about it -_-
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (306 customer reviews)

$499.99 $289.99