ARRAY(0x9caa2e34)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Waltons Movie Collection: The Final Goodnight, November 6, 2009
This review is from: The Waltons Movie Collection (A Wedding on Walton's Mountain / Mother's Day / A Day for Thanks / A Walton Thanksgiving Reunion / Wedding / Easter) (DVD)
At last, after much anticipation, Warner Brothers is releasing the six TV movies that capped off this series once and for all. The first three were all aired in 1982, and the final three came out between 1993 and 1997. Richard Thomas and Michael Learned who had left the show while it was still going strong in primetime, reprise their roles as John-Boy and Olivia Walton in most of these movies. Olivia returns in the second one, and John-Boy comes back in the final three movies.

These TV Movies pick up practically where the final episode left off, and are as follows:

1. A Wedding On Waltons Mountain (aired Feb. 22, 1982)--Erin and her boyfriend Paul Matthews Northridge decide to get married, and why not on Valentine's Day? Cindy and Ben are expecting their second child, and Mary Ellen is in Medical School studying to be a doctor. Jonesy is about to open his veterinary clinic and Corabeth is playing matchmaker to the reverend, Tom Marshall. The entire cast is reunited except for Michael Learned and Richard Thomas.

2. Mothers Day on Waltons Mountain (aired May 9, 1982)--Mary Ellen and Jonsey are getting married, but an accident occurs that postpones the honeymoon. Will all be well? Cindy's wealthy mother shows up, making Ben feel like an inadequate father and husband, while their baby is born.....but is it too early? Aimee also returns but has she changed? Olivia Walton makes a special appearance.

3. A Day for Thanks on Waltons Mountain (aired Nov. 22, 1982)--Most of the family plans to be away for Thanksgiving, and this leaves Elizabeth feeling sad. However, John-Boy has writers block and leaves his girlfriend Jane in NY and comes back to Waltons Mountain with Jason. At Olivia's insistence, John decides to come home for Thanksgiving and Drew comes home to Elizabeth. John-Curtis is always worrying Mary-Ellen, because he is playing with a "friend" down by the pond....who is that friend? The movie closes with the family at the Thanksgiving Day table, remembering those who can and can't be there. NOTE: While John-Boy retuns to the show in this TV Movie, his role is still played by Robert Wightman.

4. A Walton Thanksgiving Reunion (aired Nov. 21, 1993)--We are suddenly catapulted from the late forties and into the early sixties with this very special Walton reuinion movie. John-Boy, played by Richard Thomas, is in New York City working as a television reporter and trying to persuade his fiance to marry him. Everyone comes home for Thanksgiving, bringing their multiple problems with them; including Jason and Toni who are married by this time. Grandma is also home, and John and Ben are arguing about the mill. And the assasination of JFK devestates the country and keeps the family away from each other for Thanksgiving.....or does it? NOTE: This is the first time that the entire original cast is reunited, except for Will Geer who passed away during the series original run.

5. A Walton Wedding (aired Feb. 12, 1995)--Picking up where the last TV Movie left off. John-Boy is back in New York, and he and his fiance, Janet, decide to get married there. Yet, the wedding arrangements drive John-Boy crazy and he returns to Waltons Mountain to relax and fill in some gaps he thinks his new story has. Olivia wants to go back to school, enrolls in Boatwright University, and is met with some resistance because of her age and gender. Yet, all eventually ends well with a wedding celebration that reunites the entire original cast once again.

6. A Walton Easter (aired March 31, 1997)--The year is 1969, and we see man walking on the moon for the first time. John-Boy and Janet make plans to return home for his parents 40th Wedding Anniversary, and Elizabeth returns home and announces to Drew that she is back to stay. However, she is dismayed when she finds he did not wait for her and has a new girlfriend. The Baldwins want to pass on their "Recipe" to someone so it will be made after their death, and problems and new people enter the lives of the Waltons as usual. This movie marks the end of the series, and is a must-watch. I won't give away the ending here, as you want to enjoy it if you haven't already seen it.

All in all, these 6 TV Movies while arguably aren't that terrific when compared to certain episodes in the original run of the series, they do still bring us back home to Waltons Mountain. When times were simpler and people knew it. Perhaps we can still learn from The Waltons in our confusing age. This set is a must-have for every Walton fan. Let's return one last time to that special mountain.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 6, 2009 7:49:19 PM PST
Sue Bergosh says:
I have waited so long for the tv movies to be released. I was so excited when I found out the six would be together as a set. I have two of them, but need the others. I also have to Walton specials taped that are the best to watch. I, too wish I could live in a slower time when people treated each other like human beings and the word family really meant something. This is lacking in most families today. The tv movies will be released just after my birthday, what a birthday present they will be. I'm so glad, my tapes are almost worn out. I JUST LOVE THIS SHOW. Television today is mostly garbage, The Walton's were real television. I've heard there is a script for a seventh one but no one is interested in making it. We need quality television, listen up producers and studios. Bring on the Waltons, YEAH!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2009 11:12:21 AM PST
I agree with you that we have been waiting quite some time for these movies, and yes, TV today does more to alienate the family than bring them together. We live in a day and age where studios sell family-oriented shows/movies on DVD because they want to make money off of them. Unfortunately, Hollywood hasn't listened to the majority of parents in this country (regardless of religious upbringing) to put something on TV oriented for the families every weeknight. I think we're going to see a growth of people owning certain shows like The Waltons on DVD/renting through netfilx more and more and less people watching primetime shows. It's really sad.

Posted on Dec 5, 2009 3:25:11 PM PST
Sue Bergosh says:
I can't wait for these movies to be released. I have already pre-ordered it. I have seven of the nine seasons on hope to get the last two for Christmas. If not, I'll buy them. I, too wish we could return to a simpler time of living. This series is the best of all time, its the way families should be. Could you release the movies early? I wouldn't mine. Great series and I'm sure, great tv movies too!!!
Sue Bergosh, Bellingham, WA

Posted on Jan 11, 2010 10:30:12 AM PST
J. Kahre says:
thanks!!! i can't wait to get this!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2010 7:53:00 AM PDT
Ricky N. says:
So true! I agree with everything you say. I just ordered these and eagerly await their arrival. Sadly, I missed most of the movies because I worked at night for several years and could not watch them when they aired. I hope there is another. Ralph Waite is in his 80's now (saw him on NCIS recently) so they need to do it soon. Do we ever need quality TV!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2010 4:10:33 PM PDT
Sue Bergosh says:
Quality tv is non existant these days. I would love another tv movie with the Waltons. How about it Walton Family, why don't you pitch in and pay for the movie to be made? The last movie leaves us hanging. Lets see Elizabeth and Drew get married.
Sue Bergosh

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2010 9:47:03 AM PDT
C H says:
As walton fan since it started, I was hoping to find the movies on dvd. No that I can, but only region 1 us/can. Does anyone know if the serries will be able to buy for europe, region 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2010 9:54:47 PM PDT
Sue Bergosh says:
Have you written to Amazon.com to ask if you can order through them? The movies are great. Send an email to Amazon and see if you can buy it. If you can't maybe they can tell you when it will be available in your area. Try it and let me know. Good Luck.
Sue Bergosh auntbuzzi@gmail.com

Posted on Mar 11, 2011 4:17:31 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 27, 2011 5:03:01 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2011 5:17:35 PM PST
Sue Bergosh says:
I ordered my set as soon as they were available. They are just great. The first two are sleepers, the storylines are not that great, the last four are super. I have the whole series and the movie collection. I watch them over and over. Great viewing!!
Sue Bergosh