5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular, October 17, 2008
This review is from: Breaking Bad: Season 1 (DVD)
I think many, when looking at the main star of this show (Bryan Cranston) will have only really been familiar with him from Malcolm In The Middle. He played Hal, a simple Dad with simple values and an unbeatable love for his family. Who would have thought that he can take a character with the same basic love of his family and create something incredibly unique from that. In Breaking Bad, Bryan Cranston plays Chemistry professor Walter White who's married with a handicap son who suffers from Cerebral Palsy and a child on the way.
One day Walter is hit with the ultimate bombshell as he finds he has inoperable lung cancer and has little time left to live. Walter realises that he can't assure his families financial security for the little time he has left being a teacher. He hears about a raid on a crystal meth lab that seizes millions of dollars worth of drugs which he decides that he must be a part of that. He knows how to make the best crystal meth ever seen, but not how to get it on the streets which is why he must enlist the help of his former student and drug pusher Jesse Pinkman (Aaron Paul).

I honestly didn't have high hopes for this show as, although I'm a huge fan of Bryan Cranston for his work on Malcolm In The Middle, I struggled to believe he could pull off such a train wreck of a character. The family is a typical middle class American family struggling to take care of their disabled son trying to make him have as normal a life as possible. In a way I can relate to the situation as I'm disabled myself and know how much of a strain it can be on parents. Sure, it's not the same disability, but the family struggling through it is definitely displayed well and R.J. Mitte as Walter Jr. is an excellent fit. Although I'm betting he was only cast because he too has Cerebral Palsy, he still fits the bill and plays the character brilliantly.

Fantastic, fantastic show. I don't want to tell you much about the seasons events as it is quite short and risks spoiling certain events. I have to tell you that there are times in which this show doesn't hold back. It has no qualms about showing you the brutality of a broken man fighting against his own sense of morality, joining the drug world and even dealing with the fact that he killed a guy. Oh and obviously he's dying and is reminded of that from time to time but it's certainly gelled together brilliantly.

Just to wrap it up I can only really say this TV show is amazing in every way and I would highly recommend it to anyone and everyone. Bryan Cranston is a very underrated actor, but he's determined to prove himself for which he does a terrific job. When this DVD set comes out in the UK I'll certainly be one of the first to buy it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 4, 2009 2:09:08 PM PST
Sparroweye says:
Just curious. Where did you see this show in the U.K. On sky? I did not know you had that many shows on sky from the U.S. I loved this show and tried to get everyone by word of mouth to watch it. But it premiered on a strange channel that had never before carried sit coms. The show is brilliant. And I did not think I would get addicted to it. But you just have to root for the character, don't you? I am mad that it took so long for the dvd to come out. As I wanted to buy it for my brother who has seen none of the first season and they were doing the reruns at some ridiculous hour. So glad that he won for this show.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2009 5:22:43 AM PST
In the UK it was on the FX channel.

Posted on Feb 14, 2009 3:03:26 AM PST
Great review. I am from the US, and it's one of the few television series that is worth watching due to how well everything comes together.

And I agree; the acting is superb!

Posted on Nov 2, 2010 12:25:13 PM PDT
Just curious. Is this blu-ray region free?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 10:19:30 AM PST
A. Birt says:
My husband and I feel this is the ONLY TV show worth watching. I go into depression when the season is over! What will we do when the show actually ends??? Every actor fits their parts superbly! It's also comedic.

Posted on Dec 31, 2011 6:48:04 PM PST
Eighty One says:
"I don't want to tell you much about the seasons events as it is quite short and risks spoiling certain events."

And then you go on to say the protagonist kills a man. Way to go, buddy.

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 4:01:43 PM PST
Sp Dickens says:
Sorry but I've got to say that this review is really spoilerish. Seeing Walts normality slowly transform from simple chemistry teacher to an active participant in the drugs trade and it's grizzly consequences is the main joy of the show. Walt is a man that would, at the start, never think of breaking taboo and I, as a viewer, recognised this immediately. That made it all the more shocking when he did things you wouldn't expect him to do and quite frankly you've mentioned, and simultaneously ruined, what I consider to be the first major stepping stone of Walts from upstanding citizen to criminal for anyone who hasn't watched this before!

Posted on Oct 5, 2013 12:27:36 PM PDT
Kodiak Girl says:
Really? In your own words you don't want to tell too much, then you go on to tell way too much. Should change your name to SPOILER ALERT!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2013 3:16:29 PM PST
mostserene1 says:
Kodiak girl: Or he should change it to just SPOILER.

Posted on Feb 8, 2014 6:53:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2014 6:54:18 PM PST
The main actor also showed up before in TV as a dentist in Seinfeld.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›