Industrial-Sized Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Shop Now HTL

5.0 out of 5 stars Have no fear. Easiest wireless setup, ever., November 2, 2010
This review is from: Brother HL-2270DW Compact Laser Printer with Wireless Networking and Duplex (Office Product)
I dumped my one year old HP 8000 wireless inkjet when it became obvious it was going to cost me two hundred dollars a year for even minimum use. You can read my review on that pig's product page for more details.

As with most users I have no expertise in wireless. Every time I add a device, it's plug-and-pray time. My network is run through an old Asus router which supports only WEP and WPA, not WPS. I don't know exactly what that means, other than that WPS apparently is a new standard which improves the installation process. My home network has slowly grown to inlude a W7 desktop, a Vista laptop, two other XP desktops (I never throw away old computers), one wireless adapter for my TV and bluray player, and one wireless printer.

I have to say that this Brother printer was the easiest installation experience I have ever had with any piece of wireless hardware. For once, a manufacturer went to obvious effort to make certain the manual was clear and coherent. Every step on every page is exactly representative of what was shown on the screen [Update: Mac users, see Rich Hayhurst's comment (below)]. Every paragraph is bulleted so that if you are directed to skip a step based on your particular configuration there is no confusion as to where to proceed.

The net result is that, though I could not use what is billed as the one-button WPS setup and had to input the SSID and network key manually (I'm glad I wrote those down a couple years ago when I first set up the router), the Brother printer was recognized and up and running on all three active computers in less than twenty minutes, total. All for little more effort than inserting the installation disk in each drive.

The print quality is excellent, the automatic duplex functions flawlessly, the machine is fast, quiet and has a very small footprint. I am hoping its economy and durability live up to the rest of my initial experience with this great little printer.

p.s.: Anybody want to buy a wireless inkjet, cheap?

Update 12/2/10 -- I do notice the paper curling (due to heat, I'm sure) some other reviewers have described. It's possible a heavier weight paper would lessen this but I haven't had a chance to experiment, yet. This curling might be an issue for business users who are concerned about quality of presentation in printed correspondence. It's perfectly acceptable for my general personal uses.

One minor tip: If you get this printer, keep in mind the paper feed in this unit is towards the front of the tray. I'm accustomed to the top of the sheet feeding towards the rear of the tray. I was printing adhesive labels and having alignment problems until I realized this difference.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 22, 2011 8:30:52 PM PDT
"Every step on every page is exactly representative of what was shown on the screen. "

This was not the case with the Mac manual. Software did not match the images in manual.

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 4:50:55 PM PDT
Michelle says:
I just got HL-2270DW from Jandr. I found an issue that the fan of the printer keeps runing and generates noise. Is this normal? My previous printers are all quite and have noise when printing. Does anybody have the same issue? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 1:19:59 PM PST
bilagaana says:
With mine, the fan runs for a few minutes on system startup, but after that it's completely silent until a print operation.

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 10:50:42 PM PDT
paper curl can be fixed by flipping the paper in the tray, paper has a grain just like ribbon and when ran a certain direction you get a curl (says my mom who has worked in a print shop for the last 20+ years)

Posted on May 1, 2012 8:46:38 PM PDT
Farthion says:
Paper curl from a laser printer can be cause by two things: a too-tight turn in the printing process or a very hot drum (or a combination of both things). Setting the paper type to something lighter than 20 lb (if that's an option) may help that.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 1:55:01 AM PDT
Nakkiel says:
I wish I had your wireless experience. So far it is plug it in, hit the button in back like it says, run setup, printer not found.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2013 1:14:27 PM PST
Not just that, but the Start here OSX does not work with Mountain Lion. Best to check for Brother software updates first in the Mac App Store. Then start the Wireless Device Setup Wizard in the Utilities folder on the CD-ROM. Even then, cross your fingers and hope. If Java is already installed on your machine, then you can proceed. If not, then you have to install Java Runtime SE, a known security risk [for shame Brother]. Even after you get that installed, you still better pray. Wireless setup is completely kludgy-note, I set up a Brother 3070CW over a year ago with no problem-the installer loses connection with the printer regularly, and even in a very robust wireless network home, it repeatedly failed to detect any of several WAPs. And when it did, it failed to "submit" the wireless information successfully three straight times. Although I eventually got it setup, I elected to attach the printer to one of our iMacs with a USB cable and just activate printer sharing. The printer itself is great, but what a crappy setup process.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 5:41:33 AM PST
Nakkiel says:
I ended up spending 2 hours trying to get it to connect to my network, then without changing anything it randomly worked 1 time and installed. Since then not a problem, even when unplugging it, reinstalling software, connecting to it from my phone, etc.

Posted on Dec 22, 2013 8:46:42 AM PST
J. Latka says:
I'm trying to set up this printer with a newer MacBook Pro (no CD/DVD drive). Wireless setup has been nothing short of a nightmare so far. Here are the instructions if you want to take a look:
‹ Previous 1 Next ›