Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars Best (Android) phone money can buy., June 29, 2012
This review is from: HTC One X, Grey 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
First, let me say that I've tested all three smartphone ecosystems: iOS, WP and Android. I enjoyed them all, especially my recent purchase of the Nokia Lumia 800 (which I posted a review a while ago). So I'm pretty unbiased when it comes to pointing out pros and cons of each system, at least I'd like to think so.

Ok, now onto the actual review.

HARDWARE & DESIGN

I think this is absolutely the best looking smartphone HTC has delivered, and arguably the sexiest smartphone available on the market. Some might prefer the square edges of the iPhone 4S, some might like the Galaxy S3's curves. I just love the One X. It's the perfect combination of great clean and feel good design. I bought the white version. I think Apple would be proud to call this one of their own.

Now the screen. Best. Screen. Ever. It's big. It's bright. It's sharp (720p!). It's LCD2 and not pentile (haha Nexus). It's super sensitive.. Oh, and it's super battery-consuming. I can get maybe 4 hours of screen usage out of every full charge. And this is at 20-30% brightness (which is still plenty with this screen). The 4.7" size can be difficult to use with one-hand at times, but it's not really a problem unless you have super small hands.

The rear camera is also the one of the best. Sure, it still can't compare to a good P&S but in good lighting, you can get some terrific shots. The camera app is also awesome and very customizable. I love the Best-shot feature which lets you take a burst of shots then pick the best one to keep.

The only things I (personally, some of your might think otherwise) don't like about the design are:
a) power button is on top. It works for the iPhone, but when you have an almost 5" phone, it can be a little difficult to press the button with my index finger while holding the phone. I think Samsung got it just right with the power button on the right side of the phone.
b) micro-USB connector is on the left vs. at the bottom. This is not really a big deal, but I believe that we'll never see an elegant charging dock thanks to the horrible placement.
c) loudspeaker is on the back.

Bonus, there's also an LED notifier which I think should be on every phone. Very useful and saves battery too since I don't have to turn on the screen to check for new notifications.

SOFTWARE

It runs Google's latest big upgrade, Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0, (JellyBean 4.1 doesn't count) out of the box. This is expected (shame on you Sony) of any flasgship Android phone coming out in 2012. HTC customized it with their own Sense user interface, and you either love it or hate it. I personally think Sense 4.0 is a huge improvement from 3.0. They've removed a lot of the bloated stuff that slows down interface and cleaned it up more than a little. It's very usable and I quite enjoy it.

Ice Cream Sandwich is.. ICS. All I'll say is that there's not much it can't do. It's hard to review something that has been discussed to death. It's smooth, it's fast, it has tons of nifty features built-in. The notification system is still above and beyond that iOS is capable of. If you want a more detailed look at ICS, all you have to do is search on Google.

There's one major gripe I have with HTC though. The multitasking system they implemented. Using the excuse that the phone only has 1GB of RAM, they're handling multitasking very aggressively. Apps are being terminated too quickly and have to be reloaded. This is utter crap. I can live with it, but I hate it.

OTHER THOUGHTS

Battery is really bad, and since the One X has a unibody design (which I love), there's no swapping batteries :) If you need a phone with super long battery life, then the One X is not for you. Or do what I did, buy an external battery pack.

AT&T required their One X's bootloader to be locked. But nobody should be complaining about this now since it's already unlockable with 3rd-party softwares. I've unlocked mine and flashed a custom ROM with no problem.

Google just announced that JellyBean will be released for their Nexus line in mid-July. It's super super smooth with a handful of new features. Let's hope HTC won't drop the ball on this.

Overall, this is an amazing phone. It's not perfect, but the flaws are outweighed by the amazing things HTC were able to achieve with designing this flagship phone. 5 STARS!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]