Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't forget about the G3 for now!, September 8, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic DMC-G5KK 16 MP Mirrorless Digital Camera with 14-42mm Zoom Lens and 3-Inch LCD (Black) (OLD MODEL) (Electronics)
I have a G3 and love it. The G5 is very similar and appears to be an evolutionary model. The reviews I've read of the G5 sound very interesting, especially the enhanced resolution of the LCD display. Panasonic has done a great job in their MFT line. However, just for thought, the G3 is still available and has almost all the features of the G5. The last time I looked the kit price was down to $499 for the G3, $300 less than the G5... That would cover the price of a lot of accessories. Definitely worth considering while it lasts!

Either way you go, G3 or G5, especially if you're coming from a PAS, the camera is such a treat. I got the 45-200mm lens to compliment the kit lens and I've had great fun with it. We're now thinking of vacations in terms of photo tours, and with tools like Lightroom 4 or Photoshop Elements 10, you can spend hours creatively putting together journals of memories with photo quality that is fantastic. Take a look at an HDR package like Picturenaut (free) or Photomatix ($99 list), too.

I'd recommend a couple of inexpensive extras. First, macro extension tubes for extreme close-ups. About $12 from Fotodiox. Fun stuff. Also get a 52mm UV filter mostly to protect the lens, and a circular polarizing filter. And extra batteries. The battery life is pretty slim between charges. I ordered the Wasabi set with 2 batteries and a charger for the G3 for about 30 bucks. I'm sure there will be aftermarket batteries for the G5, too. Finally, get a decent camera bag (I personally prefer a sling-type).

Happy shooting!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 11, 2012 2:15:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 11, 2012 2:30:39 PM PDT
Scott says:
It appears as though you do not own, nor have you ever used, the Panasonic G5. I am trying to make buying decisions, and doing so requires I read reviews by people who have actually used the product, not read articles about it.

As for your description of the camera as "evolutionary" (sounds copied and pasted from dpreview), I can think of one major upgrade on the spec sheet, at the very least: The silent electronic shutter. Given the noisy, clunky shutter of the G3, which I own and am generally pleased with, silent picture taking is a major upgrade.

To replace a mechanical shutter, subject to failure, with an electronic one, is, in itself, Revolutionary.

I also believe the upgrade includes improved image processor and video spec, which would bring the G5 image quality up to the level of the Olympus E-M5, at a huge savings.

I have also read that autofocus and performance are both lightning fast on the G5, a significant improvement.

I have read the remarks about the G5, as have you. I'd like to read USER/CUSTOMER reviews, to learn about other people's EXPERIENCE USING the camera, not what they think it might be like, in theory, according to a pundit's first impressions. Even the pundit points out that a full review will be forthcoming.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 5:34:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 12, 2012 4:06:51 AM PDT
W says:

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 8:40:22 AM PDT
Scott says:
Let me be clear, E, I do not appreciate your glib, patronizing remarks.

This space is called "Customer Review", not "Discussion Forum". You are NOT A CUSTOMER, NOR EVEN A USER OF THE PRODUCT IN QUESTION. If this space were a discussion forum, I would not be so irritated by your posting... after all, it would be relevant in a forum for discussion.

I, and other potential buyers of the Panasonic G5, know where to find reviews by professional experts, and we DO consult those websites for their OPINIONS of yet untested cameras.

When we come to Amazon for CUSTOMER REVIEWS, we want to read about CUSTOMERS' and USERS' EXPERIENCES. Their REAL WORLD EXPERIENCES with the product that they paid for with their hard-earned money.

A forum, which this is NOT, is a platform for much broader discussion, rants (such as that posted by the other "reviewer") and speculative reading recommendations, such as your posting.

To be clear: Your posting is NOT a CUSTOMER REVIEW, and is therefore IRRELEVANT to this space. I recommend you remove it from this space, and re-post it to a broader discussion forum that is NOT associated with a POINT OF SALE.

Finally, please do not insult me with your patronizing remarks.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 3:51:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 14, 2012 3:52:23 PM PDT

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 10:12:50 AM PDT
GaryPen says:
This "review" is useless. It is merely an opinion, based on readily available information, such as *actual* user reviews. Those actual reviews are precisely what prospective customers of this item are looking for here, not this crap, which is better suited for some photo forum discussion, as zkot correctly stated.

And, Alan, if by "get all Barack Obama", you mean "prefer informed opinions based on facts over wild speculation", then yes I am getting all Barack Obama on the original poster, and people like you who defend such nonsense.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 11:49:30 AM PDT
Sheheba says:
A comparative opinion based on two products is only relevant if the person giving the opinion has had personal experience with both products in question. Giving one's opinion here on Amazon's product review site on products with which they have absolutely no personal experience is a waste of everyone's time.

People use this site for product research and hope to read about a customers actual experience with consumer products, they deserve better than to have to be subjected to a lot of "editorializing" nonsense.

That said, please forgive my above "editorial" and can we all get down to the purpose of this site, which is to "REVIEW PRODUCTS WITH WHICH WE HAVE SOME DEGREE OF PERSONAL EXPERIENCE"!

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 8:08:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2012 8:09:48 AM PDT
I agree with the majority here--Amazon ought to make you click "I own this item" before allowing a review. Most people are honest and will not review unless they have the item to review. That all said, I have a G3 and cannot see the value in a G5 at present pricing levels (almost double) as the newer camera is apparently larger and heavier. I downsized to a G3 from a much larger and heavier Canon DSLR so see the G5 as a small backward step from the G3 when taking into account the massive price difference, slightly larger body, more complex menu system and what appears to be a slightly cheaper body construction. Panasonic are not first and foremost a camera company and they may be downgrading quality on a few fronts--I have the excellent MIJ 14-45mm and it is smoother and a little better IQ-wise than the "Mecho in Chine" 14-42mm. The quality of their 45-200mm is excellent and better than either Canon or Nikon unless you get into the pro-grade glass. I will keep an open mind and if Canon were to go micro 2/3rds, or even Nikon...................???

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 12:36:26 AM PST
Chris Morgan says:
If you own the G3, I'd probably hold off on getting the G5 unless there are some very specific reasons you want the G5. As a general rule, I try to skip a generation when I'm upgrading electronics. WAY more bang for the buck that way. I owned a G2 and was looking at upgrading when I saw the G5 was coming out (as I'm sure you know, there is no G4).

Several HUGE improvements that I were looking for were the significant increase in the burst rate and time to shot and I've not been at all disappointed in that regard.

Personally, I think it has a very solid feel. The menu system did change from what I was used to and it took a few outings to get the swing of things but I'm now handling it well (until I'm needing to find a seldom used feature and then I have to hunt).

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 11:23:09 AM PST
Ctman2 says:
I totally agree with the comment on the G3 being the best deal right now. I always buy the downlevel of a camera when the new one comes out because the pricing curve is very predictable and its usually only an incremental increase in function. I downsized from a DSLR to the 4/3 line and its the best compromise of size versus performance for me and many others since the best camera is always the one you have with you. The sensor on the G3/G5 is almost as good as the entry level DSLRs..............
‹ Previous 1 Next ›