10 of 10 people found the following review helpful
Better than I expected,
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Sniper Elite V2 [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
A little about me:
1) I greatly prefer third-person shooters to FPS.
2) I love to snipe regardless of the game (Splinter Cell, Mass Effect, etc.).
3) I'd rather have more gameplay than insanely good graphics (but having both is a plus).
Now that you know a little about me, you will perhaps understand when I say that I really like this game. I was surprised by how much I liked it. To me it was very reminiscent of Splinter Cell Conviction with slightly down-graded graphics and body mechanics. However, this game offers more gameplay than Conviction (by at least a third).
Here are some pluses:
1) The bullet ballistics are great and it can often be fun to try and snipe people using just the scope marks to gauge your aim.
2) There is a great mix of close combat and distance sniping. I thought the game would be a lot more about laying far away from your target and making calculated shots, but you really have to traverse a lot of ground, choosing different weapons to suit your needs.
3) The game offers a great mix of weapons and just enough ammo so that you don't go crazy with the trigger, but you don't run out either.
4) Side items like grenades and trip mines add a nice element to he game. They aren't incredibly useful, but they are still fun to play with and once or twice in the game are almost critical.
If I had complaints about the game they would be this:
1) It's a shame you can't interact with your environment more. It's great that you can shoot at bottles placed throughout the game, but you should be able to shoot out lights, windows, and other breakable objects that appear in the game.
2) Speaking of the inability to shoot out lights, shadows mean nothing in this game and that is unfortunate. An AI can see you just as well in darkness as they can in 100% daylight. Considering all of the available stealth aspects of the game, they should have done better with this. Conviction got this right...SE V2 did not.
3) Speaking of the AI's abilities, it seems ridiculous that AIs with an SMG can fairly easily hit me at 200 meters when I have to hold my breath to hit them with a sniper rifle. In other words, weapon abilities are not differentiated enough in the game. Don't get me wrong...AI snipers are much more accurate than AIs with SMGs, and I'm fine with the accuracy of the snipers, but SMGs should only have a chance of hitting you much closer.
4) Finally, the AIs in this game have eyes like eagles. Even if you're in the dark and hundreds of meters away, they will still see you eventually. This is really unfortunate programming.
Despite those complaints, this game was well worth the cost and a pleasant surprise. If you like sniping and third-person games you may like this game quite a lot.