5.0 out of 5 stars John Carter Excceded My Expectations!, March 11, 2012
This review is from: John Carter (DVD)
I went in to "John Carter" filled with trepidation. I often avoid these big, splashy CGI spectacles that never live up to their promises and I was sure that this film was going to be nothing more than lots of cinematic eye candy and short on substance. Added to that there was a lot of lackluster critical reviews. Well, all I can say is that this was a grand entertainment and I am so glad I caught it on the big screen!

I've heard some critics say the plot was a mess and overly convoluted. Really? My suggestion to them is "don't text while watching a movie, you might miss something". I found the plot fairly well done and actually made sense (if only the last Star Trek film had that going for it) and was interesting to boot.

I also read that the look of Barsoom (Mars to you and me) was dull and uninteresting. Hmmm, never been an admirerer of the stark and raw beauty of the American southwest I guess. Personally I found Barsoom to be beautiful, alien, exotic and familiar all at the same time. After all, the Mars rovers have confirmed that the Red Planet does indeed look like our American southwest and I for one happen to think both places very scenic.

Some critics have said the story is dull and lifeless. OK, put down the crack pipe and step away from the video game console. "John Carter" has a great fast paced plot with lots of interesting twists and turns. I also thought the characters were nicely drawn, if not overly complex, and that the alien races on Barsoom to be very interesting with fascinating customs which only made me want to learn more about them.

Other critics have complained that they have seen this stuff before in movies like Star Wars and Avatar. Wellllll, it seems as though those two directors (among other film makers and writers) have been looting the works of Edgar Rice Burroughs for quite some time so I guess there is bound to be a feeling of deja vu.

Have we really become such a culture that is so easily jaded? Can we no longer feel that sense of wonder and feeling of adventure in a film like "John Carter"? Maybe we are too use to storylines being spoon fed to us in easily digested bites and cannot follow along with a film that isn't zipping past our eyeballs at 186,000 miles per second with flashy explosions at every eye blink. If true then how sad that such a wondrous film will get pushed to the wayside in favor of something like Transformers 8.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 12, 2012 11:22:16 AM PDT
Jadecat says:
Excellent review. I too don't understand how people can not just be simply entertained by this movie. No, instead they are enthralled with the recent DVD release of Jack and Jill (Adam Sandler crap) and think that is the greatest. I refuse to see those rude and obnoxious movies anymore. John Carter is a visual feast and a wonderful story. I loved the special effects, the southwest scenery, just the whole movie kept me entranced. Having read all the books did help, but that was a long time ago, so I wasn't even totally sure what was changed in the movie. Admittedly, my 11 year old daughter got a little lost in the beginning about who was the good guy, who was the bad guy, but I think she enjoyed it. My 16 year old liked it quite a bit, and I have no doubt that I will be buying this when it goes on sale. I think it easily surpasses Star Wars and Avatar in its storyline. This movie took over 100 years to get here, but I can't think of how it could have been improved.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2012 8:35:32 AM PDT
Erroll says:
totally agree, better than star wars, and avatar!

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 1:10:33 PM PDT
Boba Dad says:
Your review is spot on.
Was this movie perfect? No, probably because I for one am not a fan of 3D, but it did work.
It really was a visual cinematic feast.
Unfortunately, the way this movie was hammered by so called expert reviewers, and Disneys lack of interest in marketing this properly, we'll never see sequels.

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 6:29:36 PM PDT
Loved your prose! Fun to read, and makes me want to see the film. All the media critics must have gotten their trash from a single pointsource of hate for the movie. The press must have not gotten a good enough bag of valuables by Disney, so decided to snub the film.

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 5:41:26 PM PDT

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 8:29:18 AM PDT
Great review. I totally agree with all you said.

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 9:35:29 PM PDT
Miami Nights says:

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 1:53:03 PM PDT
I was unaware that I had leveled personal attacks against anyone. I certainly agree with your assessment of how audiences, to a large degree, determine the kind of films that are seen at your local cineplex.

I also agree that people who do not like John Carter are entitled to their opinions, with the proviso that those opinions are actually of substance and can cite specifics.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 2:06:31 PM PDT
Hey Shawn! First let me preface my comments by saying I am a huge fan of Star Trek, but being a fan does not mean I should not be critical of it. For me Abrams' film was more about explosions and action rather than substance. Good Trek, (indeed any film whether it is Trek, science fiction, or otherwise) should be ABOUT something other than good special effects or action sequences and this incarnation just seemed hollow and empty to me. It wasn't the minutiae of whether or not it met traditional Trek canon but whether or not it could be smart and have something relevant to say. To me it simply didn't. One of the biggest problems for me as far as the post-Khan Trek films is that they always had to have a central villain storyline for the crew to go up against. We do not need to keep trying to reinvent "The Wrath of Khan", the universe and human drama is far more bigger and interesting than that simple dynamic. The other big fault I had was the science used in the film. This will not matter to the average movie goer but for someone who works in the sciences seeing this Trek film had me eye rolling and cringing every five minutes. I am hoping the next film will be an improvement.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 2:15:54 PM PDT
Thank you Matthew, I wonder if the critics had just got so caught up in the negative comments that proceeded this film before its release by folks who had only based their opinions upon a few snippets of scenes and some crappy commercials. Either way, I grow weary of the cynical hipster crowd.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (2,404 customer reviews)
 (1,597)