5.0 out of 5 stars Top of the class among all (budget-priced) Class-10 cards I have tested, June 7, 2012
This review is from: HP CG790A-AZ 32 GB Flash Memory Card Class 10 SDHC (Personal Computers)
I recently purchased this HP CG790A-AZ 32 GB Flash Memory Card Class 10 SDHC, mostly because it is budget-priced (similar class-10 32GB card from Sandisk would cost nearly twice as much). To my surprise, this HP card turns out to be faster than all my other class-10 cards.

I used a benchmark program called "H2testw v1.4" to find out the write speed for large (1GB) files. This is essentially the same as the sequential-write speed used for SD card speed ratings. To qualify as a class-10 card, the card must be able to sustain sequential-write speed of 10MB/s.

Here are the results for all my class-10 SDHC cards:
- HP CG790A : 15.1MB/s (* see update)
- Transcend TS16GSDHC10E : 14.6MB/s
- PNY P-SDHC16G10 : 13.6MB/s
- Kingston SD10G2/16GB: 10.7MB/s
- Wintec Filemate 3FMSD32GBC10-R: 10.2MB/s
(See the chart I uploaded to 'Customer Images')

For completeness sake, I also benchmarked this HP card using other programs, including "Flash Memory Toolkit v2.0" and "CrystalDiskMark 3.01". The results are even more impressive (see 'Customer Images' section for details). The HP card delivered excellent write speed for both large and small files, while all other cards performed poorly for smaller files.

Of course, the REAL benchmark needs to be done in the actual application. For that, I inserted each card in my Canon Rebel T1i, set it to save both RAW and JPEG formats, then took 10 consecutive shots in burst mode. Again, the HP card is the fastest, taking only 16.7s to save all 250MB of data. In contrast, the slowest card (Wintec Filemate) took 28.3s to finish.

Bottom Line:
This HP SDHC card, despite of its low cost (I picked "Amazon Frustration Free Packaging"), is actually the fastest among all class-10 cards I have tested. That makes it the best deal in my book.

[Update on June 26, 2012]
I purchased another HP 32GB SDHC card, because the current price (66 cents per GB) is just too good to pass up. The read/write speed of the second card is identical to that of the first one. So the quality is consistent.

[*Update on May 24, 2013]
The old card reader I used (Transcend M5) was limiting the speed of this HP class-10 card. I re-ran the H2testw benchmark with a new Transcend USB 3.0 Card Reader (TS-RDF5K), and the Write speed jumped from 15.1 to 21.3MB/s. The Read speed also jumped from 18.1 to 30.1MB/s, which is limited by the USB 2.0 port I used. I should expect even better results if I had a USB 3.0 port.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 11, 2012 6:52:59 PM PDT
DOTTIE T. says:
It is really nice to see people go out of their way in such an extraordinary way!! THANK YOU FOR BEING SO KIND AS TO DO THAT. It really makes it a great tool & such a kind
courtesy with not being able to do that kind of research....and then you come along & do
SO MUCH for others. Thank you again for taking the time out of your busy schedule I'm sure, as we all seem to be in this fast paced world we live in. May Jehovah bless your efforts.

Dottie T in NW Pa.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (190 customer reviews)

Out of stock