5.0 out of 5 stars A perfectly robust and agile antivirus/spyware solution and the best in class, June 20, 2010
This review is from: Eset Nod32 Antivirus V.4.0 [Old Version] (CD-ROM)
Please note going into this review that this review is more or less applied from my review of ESET Nod32 Antivirus 3.0, with some updates for my circumstances.

When I bought my new laptop, I of course was given the option to add on some antivirus protection from one of the big guys for the usual 90 day trial and then a $30-$60 charge for the rest of the year. After having gone through so many nightmares with Norton three years ago and finding McAfee to be bloated, along with a nightmare that was a bugfix for ZoneAlarm's suite killing my internet connection and the following disaster of using my cable company's security suite, I swore to only run light antivirus programs on my computer from then on out.

I will say with a caveat that I bought NOD32 based on Leo Laporte's recommendation and endorsement, including only running the Windows firewall in tandem with an NAT router. Having taken most of his and Steve Gibson's security advice with no problems at all over the years, I was finally glad to have a free opportunity to try out NOD32 on a fresh machine after having used AVG Free for three years.

It couldn't have been better timing, because in the last month, AVG lost my confidence with a run of false positives that became so absurd, their engine was confident that the Windows calculator and MS Paint had been compromised, when they had never been touched. After having to hassle with restoring those programs on my XP desktop I used my Vista laptop to test NOD32, and found it to be incredibly out of the way, quiet, and easy on my system resources, much more than AVG had been lately. I don't even want to think about an antivirus, but when I do, it needs to plain work. This does, and the virus scans I've done have been thourough and perfect, and although the program has not found anything beyond one false positive with a tool I expected it might get confused on, this is a great solution for antivirus and antispyware. The XP desktop had no problems or slowdowns with NOD32 at all.

I am proud to say that after a year and a half of ownership of NOD32 I will not hesitate to recommend this product to anyone. The few scares I've had computing with this program have been averted with the help of it and the strong security strategy Leo Laporte and Steve Gibson recommend for all users. Every virus threat has quickly been thrown into the quarantine bin to rattle around and die, while the antispyware aspect of the program has neutralized everything that's come in.

When it came time for me to replace the XP desktop and buy a new Windows 7 64-bit desktop, I was forced to allow Dell to install McAfee on it with a 15-mounth subscription when it was built. Needless to say that I won't be utilizing it, as the first thing I did was uninstall McAfee, move my XP desktop license of NOD32 to the new desktop and get on with installing things. This was also simple as can be, as all I had to do was uninstall the XP copy, put in my license into the 64-bit 7 version, and I was protected on the new computer. I could not be more pleased with a program of this type and am happy that it runs quietly, uses few system resources and it gets your attention respectfully with only a few 'new definitions are downloaded' and 'possible threat' balloons here and there.

I wish programs like this with excellent support and a 'just works' mentality would be more popular than the 'pack it all in one box' products that rule the marketplace, and I expect future versions of NOD32 will meet these same expectations with flying colors.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]