5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect blend of capacity, price, and size!, April 10, 2012
This review is from: PowerGen® 8400mAh External Battery Pack High Capacity Power Bank Charger Dual USB 2.6Amps output for Apple and Android Devices (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I had been looking for an external/additional battery pack that was hefty enough to power/charge multiple devices from a single charge. I had seen some of the other more bulky versions (usually catering to the mobile computing crowd), but I didnt want to spend an arm and a leg and I definitely didnt want to carry around a huge brick. After weighing my options I decided to take a look at the PowerGen 8400mah High Capacity Power Bank.

Looking at the images, I liked the size. It was definitely smaller than I had anticipated for something that offered so much capacity. The fact that it was 8400mah and not something around 5000-6000mah was also a major selling point for me. The cost was right as well. I had previously bought the 2900mah Mobile Juice Pack (which is smaller, but at only 1/3 of the capacity) and that worked great for my personal use and keeping my Samsung Galaxy S II powered all day. But to keep a couple iPads, an iPhone, and my S II powered up? I definitely needed the 8400mah.

My order arrived quickly and well on time for a trip to New York. I coupled the Power Bank with a PowerGen Dual Port USB wall charger PowerGen Dual Port USB 2.1A 10W AC / Travel / Wall Charger for Apple iPad 2, New iPad 3, iPhone 4 4s 3Gs 3G, iPod Touch And More Devices (USB Cable not included) - Black. I wanted a dual port to cut down on the number of wall plugs I was packing. Another one of the reviewers also mentioned that using a 2A wall plug allowed the 8400mah Power Bank to charge quicker. So that was an added bonus (although I never compared the wall plug it came with versus the 2A wall plug).

When I opened the Power Bank, it reported itself as about 75% full (there are 4 blue LED rings that show state of charge). I plugged it in with the supplied adapters and cables. I think it would've been cool if the Power Bank had "slots" or some kind of storage area for the various connectors. Luckily, I dont need most of them so it wasnt a big deal for me. The Power Bank (like its little brother, the Juice Pack) has a built-in flashlight. I think thats an awesome idea and I actually found myself using it just because I knew it was there.

In use, the Power Bank worked exactly as you would expect. We were able to use it throughout the day to keep our phones juiced up (we were using our phones for everything from navigation to all picture taking duties). It was a real convenience to have 2 USB ports that make it capable of charging 2 devices at a time. In the evening, we'd leave it plugged into the iPad to use up some of the remaining charge. At night, it was plugged back in so it was all charged up and ready to go for another day in the city.

I never took any time measurements to see how long it took to charge up our various devices. But I can say I don't think it took any longer than if I plugged it directly into the wall with the OEM charger. Charging up the Power Bank was also uneventful. It would get plugged in at night and it was full in the morning.

The unit is very solid and appears to be well built. It doesnt feel thin of flimsy at all. There is some heft to it, but nothing that would prevent me from carrying it with me at all times. In fact, while in New York, it was in my wife's purse most of the time and she never complained about the added weight or size taking up room in her relatively small bag.

I wouldnt hesitate in recommending the Power Bank to anyone and everyone. Time will tell how long it lasts. But since batteries do wear down over time, I hope to get some good use out of it. And if my first outing with it is any indication, I'm sure I will.

[Add comment]