Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY THIS TV!!!, July 25, 2007
This review is from: Samsung LNT4661F 46-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (Electronics)
I don't usually write Amazon reviews, but in researching LCD TVs, I found the reviews so helpful that I felt compelled to contribute. If you are searching for a high-quality LCD TV, look no further: it doesn't get any better than Samsung. I work in IT, and every fellow geek whom I surveyed recommended a Samsung LCD or DLP. Since DLP won't fit in the space available in our bungalow's living room, we went with LCD.

Review after review on Amazon and CNet rank the LNT4661F and the LNT4555F as best in class. After looking at the sets side by side with LG, Sharp, and Sony models in local stores, the Samsung's superiority became apparent. I quickly eliminated other brands from consideration and focused on the Samsung LNT4661F vs. LNT4665F. If you're in a quandry over which is best, here's what I found:

1) The LNT4665F does has a marginally better picture and contrast ratio than the LNT4661F. I reviewed the sets side by side and noticed the biggest difference during very dark scenes. The LNT4665F handles those slightly better than the LNT4661, but the LNT4661 still looked better than any other LCD nearby.

2) The shiny screen on the LNT4665 will DEFINITELY create glare issues in any room where you cannot control direct or ambient light. The set I looked at in Circuit City had no problems with glare, but it was located in a home-theater type viewing room. The set at Best Buy was in an area facing windows and overhead light, and the glare was very noticeable. As my living room gets light from a ceiling fixture, two lamps, and three windows, I feel that I made the right choice in going with the LNT4661F given its matte screen.

3) Eagle Global Logistics was a PAIN regarding delivery. Were shipping not free, I would have been REALLY ticked. Basically, they would only deliver the set on Tuesdays or Thursdays, which is hard to accommodate if you work full-time and those are your busiest days of the week. I went to the warehouse to pick up the unit and found the warehouse staff to be professional. The packaging was compact considering the size of the item, and it fit easily into a friend's Ford Escape.

4) You can't beat the LNT4661F for the price. Circuit City and Best Buy were both around $800 more than Amazon when sales tax was factored in. Interestingly, both Circuit City and Best Buy were charging $2495 for the LNT4665F and $2595 for the LNT4661F, despite the LNT4665F being the "lower" model.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with this purchase. The TV looks AWESOME, and we've had tons of fun watching colorful movies like Finding Nemo, PBS in hi-def, Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings movies, etc. BUY THIS TV: YOU WON'T BE SORRY!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 25, 2007 4:00:33 PM PDT
Hey -
Thanks for the review. Have you noticed significant color washout when you view the tv from any angle other than straight on? I had read that this was more of an issue with the 4661 than with the 4665.

Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2007 1:12:15 PM PST
Yes, the off-axis viewing really gets washed out when you go 45 degrees or more off axis. It is still somewhat noticeable, when you go 30 degrees and up, but it does significantly degrade after 45 degrees. So word to the wise: if you are positioning your couch at sharp angles or planning to affix this TV to the wall at sharp upward viewing angles, you will notice color wash out. Otherwise, this is a superb TV and a great one to own till the 120Hz technology with AMP is refined on the later Samsung models, with LED backlighting to boot. At these prices, this will serve you very well, till the next wave of cool technology is refined.

Posted on Dec 17, 2007 10:30:12 PM PST
Giuseppe C. says:
If you're determined to stay under $1500, you could do worse than to buy this one. But the stand-out among the selection I recently viewed at Sears was the Samsung 4671F 46" set. Less motion blur, greater side illumination, and a picture that managed to be sharper without seeming more artificial. It's the one I would buy if I had the extra grand, but because of it, I'm thinking of picking up a real low ender for the time being and stepping up at a later time. As for the irrational price discrepancies, they're often not quality-related but strictly supply and demand consumer patterns of the moment. If the LNT4665F drops below the LNT4661F again, seize the opportunity to pick up the more advanced set.

Posted on Dec 18, 2007 9:07:24 PM PST
M. Kulig says:
Samuel is definitely correct in that the 4671F is superior in picture quality compared to its predecessor, the 4661F. I really couldn't tell the difference in motion blur, but I'm a novice and the TVs were not next to one another to compare. I almost walked out of Circuit City and ordered the 4671F (on-line), based solely on the impressive clarity and deep blacks that this model produced. I noticed, however, that both the 4665F and the 4671F have a shiny gloss screen and each time a black (or dark) image appeared on the screen, I could see reflections of everything in front of the TV. Once I noticed it, it became the focus of my attention. The 4661F, conversely, has a black matte finish and noticed no reflections whatsoever. Given the fact that our TV will sit in a room which receives a lot of sunlight, I opted for the 4661F (the price was also a factor). I bought it at CC for $1417, which included a 10% discount coupon and tax. The best price that I could find on-line was about $1460. This TV, although having slightly less picture quality than the 4671F (but still fantastic), is a really good buy! Hopefully I'll have it hooked up in hi-def to watch the Pats this weekend.

Posted on Dec 27, 2007 12:52:53 AM PST
D'ARCY says:
The LNT4661F is the 'lower end' model-not the LNT4665F.

Posted on Jan 15, 2008 3:49:47 AM PST
Hi Elissa,

Thanks for your review--could you tell me the actual width of the 4661. It is listed at 43.5 inches, and the space we have is 43.25. We'd love to buy the TV, but of course we don't want to end up with a TV taht won't fit the space. Thanks so much!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2008 5:11:44 PM PST
Dave C. says:
Your review sealed the deal for me. I also quickly zeroed in on this model in minutes. It easily stood out from the bunch amid a wall of higher end name brands and the price was almost half as much as a comparable Sony Bravia. After reading all of the rave reviews, I knew I'd found the winner. This model is so popular that it's been out of stock at every Best Buy and Circuit City in my city. They said they will restock in time for the Superbowl.

Posted on Jan 26, 2008 1:39:42 PM PST
20YrTrader says:
Did anyone who bought this Tv compare it to the Vizio brand TVs at Costco?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2008 12:55:23 AM PST
Dave C. says:
All of the Vizio's I saw were only 720p not 1080p. I wonder how many consumers are going to be fooled into thinking they have a true HD display when they really don't.

Posted on Dec 15, 2009 9:14:58 AM PST
Hershey says:
You should read some of the pages and pages of comsumer complaints on all the Samsung LCD TV's. I have the LNT4661FX like so many other people and now that it is 14 months old it needs repairs, again just like everyone else.
Samsung's Customer Service Department is worthless for issues outside of the warranty period they just do not care! I will never purchase another Samsung product and neither will any of my associates.
CRAP TV's