14 of 14 people found the following review helpful
PS3 Eye is perfect for a $10 PC WebCam,
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: PlayStation Eye (Video Game)
I got this PS3 Eye specifically to take it apart and modify it to become an IR only camera to use it with FreeTrack & FaceTrackNoIR (free software that helps you emulate TrackIR). For this purpose, once the camera is modified, it works ...flawlessly. You will NOT regret the purchase, 5 stars just for that.
However, what I was shocked to find, though was how well this also worked as a normal PC Webcam.
1. Picture was smooth, probably because the framerate can go up to 120 FPS.
2. Software drivers for various verisons of Windows, including Windows 7.
3. The camera can lower resolution and do a wider angle, which is very nice.
4. Microphone was very nice.
5. Once set up, worked with Skype, OSB for Twitch streaming, about everything I tried.
1. Camera only supports up to 640x480 (however, not much of one as that's a sensible resolution that won't eat your bandwith)
2. PC Drivers are not by Sony, or officially supported, you have to find them. There was an annoying bug that evverytime I reboot my pc, I have to unplug and replug the camera to get the microphone to work in Windows 7.
3. PC Drivers are 32-bit only, and that meant, for example, I coudl only run the 32 bit version of OSB to stream for Twitch.
The Camera isn't an amazing piece of hardware, it's just a decent piece of hardware at an amazing price, that can work for a PS3, a PC, be reasonably modified into an IR camera, etc. For that, it really deserves 5 stars.
Tracked by 1 customer
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 22, 2015 9:13:02 AM PST
you said pc drivers are 32bit only? i was planning on doing the whole freetrack thing also
but im running Win 7 64bit. will it still work?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›