Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

4.0 out of 5 stars comparing to a mac air 11.6, September 19, 2012
This review is from: Acer Aspire One AO725-0899 11.6" Netbook (AMD Dual Core Processor, 2GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive, Windows 7 HP 64 bits) Volcano Black (Personal Computers)
Acer Aspire One AO725-0899 11.6" Netbook (AMD Dual Core Processor, 2GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive, Windows 7 HP 64 bits) Volcano BlackThanks to all who have made comments on the 722 and this one the 725-0899. I have a mac air 11.6 from work and i wanted a low priced, light weight travel netbook that i would not cry if it died or got stolen. I got my 725 at Target last week for $50 less than Amazon. I got my add on stuff from Amazon.

Corsair 8 GB Module (1x8GB) DDR3 1333MHz PC3 10666 204-Pin Unbuffered C9 Laptop Memory CMSO8GX3M1A1333C9

Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB 2.5 Inch Solid State Hybrid Drive ST95005620AS

I took out the bloatware and defragged the HDD. Then I put in 8GB memory card and an SD card for readyboost. Very easy to do as reported elsewhere. I had my wife do a blind weight test and the mac and 725 were equal to her. Important because she puts this in her carry on stuff. The 725 is smaller than the mac, point to 725. The wall plug for the 725 has adjustable prongs so it can fit any plug arrangement. Point to 725. The mac didnt need bloatware removal, readyboost, or defrag, point to mac. Both the mac and 725 got updates today so no points to either. I made backup software with Acer erecovery (3 disks) and windows (4 disks). Then i put in the seagate momentus. The windows recovery did not work. the Acer recovery worked great, except 75% of the bloatware returned. I took that off, and went through an hour of updates. Then i rebooted 5 times. The Air gets to the password 20 seconds faster than the 725. The air gets to the home screen 8 seconds faster than the 725. The 725 gets to google on chrome 5 seconds faster than the mac. in my opinion, the hybrid drive is nice but not the same as a ssd. But the price difference is substantial. When price is considered, the Acer gets the nod, but it takes some doing to get there. I didnt see a lot of improvement over the stock hdd of the Acer, so i would suggest upgrade the ram, use readyboost and see how you like it.

Added- so far still working just fine. I added kingsoft office for work stuff and played with msconfig to keep my startup times working.
So far so good. 9-29-2012

10-27-2012 I just loaded Windows 8, and i really like it on this machine. It is fast, and using the acer upgrade tool made it easy. I left my mac air at home and am writing this on the 725. the cursor jumps a bit, but it feels better with win 8 than it did with win 7. I still have some exploring to do. FYI it took about 3 hours to load it all, but i had a slow connection for downloading the drivers. Very worth it at $15.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 22, 2012 9:59:47 AM PDT
Jim says:
Did you do any tests or comparisons with the original HDD before you installed the Hybrid?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 8:12:35 PM PDT
Amateur Geek says:
The hybrid boots up about 20 seconds faster than the original hdd based on my tests. i kept the original hdd in case the hybrid dies. travel photos will go on the larger hybrid i installed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 12:25:20 PM PDT
Thanks!

And thanks for the objective review!

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 1:22:59 PM PDT
matt says:
You're comparing a 300 dollar computer with one that costs more than three times it's price. Really?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 8:20:10 AM PDT
Amateur Geek says:
yes really. To VPN to my work computer, our IT won't allow Macs. Don't ask me why. So when I must get on my work system I am forced to use Windows. I have bootcamp on the Air, and others use VMware etc, but I found that really a drag. So far, this is working just fine for me, but the touch pad is jumpy. I am in one bag on this current trip, on VPN to my work computer and writing this reply, gmail opened in another window. This is a nice virtually disposable option for me. YMMV.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 10:06:54 AM PDT
Carlos R. says:
im looking for SD cards that are readyboost recommended. what model is yours? i am thinking of getting a similar acer, or maybe this exact one. is there a limit to readyboost? for example it can only use 8gb? or will it use all 32GB if i get that size.

i have read that most sd cards, even class 10 are not "fast enough" for the readyboost feature, mb per seconds and seek times.

thank you for your help.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 5:14:27 AM PDT
Transcend 16 GB SD. Not all that fast but works for me

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 1:00:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 22, 2012 2:25:16 AM PDT
Carlos-

Windows 7 Readyboost used to accept a maximum of 32GB per device up to a system maximum of 256GB on 8 devices; I don't know if this has increased since larger-capacity devices have become available. Amateur Geek's 16GB is plenty.

Try any flash devices you have already - they may work. If not, shop around - you are on the right track.

Update October 20, 2012

I have bought a 64gb card. It is fully recognized and Readyboost will use up to 32GB of the recognized 64GB, so it appears that 32GB is still the maximum per device that will be used by Readyboost. The remainder of the card is available for other purposes.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 5:00:34 AM PST
Hi,

Regarding to the win 8 that it already runs in your 725 I have the following question: Have you tried to install the Hyper-V services? AO 725 has the C-60 processor and I don't know (and I've searched for a long time) if it has rvi (rapid virtualization indexing) which is required to run hyper-v on windows 8. Could you please tell me if it's possible to install Hyper-V? Thanks in advance
‹ Previous 1 Next ›