4.0 out of 5 stars Better than previous N router, December 10, 2009
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND V2 Wireless N300 Gigabit Router, 300Mbps, USB port for Storage, 3 Detachable Antennas, Speed Boost up to 450Mbps, WPS Button (Personal Computers)
I bought this to replace belkin wireless N+ router (you can see my review for the belkin N+). The signal from may laptops to belkin would vary between 1Mbps - 48Mbps, and often losing the signal all together. This is with using built in wireless G. I added belkin wireless N adapter and signal would then range from 11Mbps - 120Mbps, but far fewer drops. I replaced with this TP-Link TL-WR1043 and after 1 week, I get no wireless drop outs at all. My laptop with built in wireless G consistently reports 54Mbps and my laptop with the belkin N adapter generally reports 120Mbps (sometimes dropping to 60Mbps, sometimes as high as 150Mbps).

I should note that the TP-Link router is in the same exact location where my old belkin was, and my laptops are in the same exact location. So I have not varied distance nor obstacles between router & laptops. My laptops are ~75 feet from router in separate building, nearest neighbor ~.75 miles, so no change in interference from neighbors.

Now if only I could figure out how to get 300Mbps. I have tried from several other locations, but best I ever get is 150Mbps. But as this greatly exceeds my connection to ISP, it is not really a big issue. Oddly enough, if I move closer to the router, I get slower connection (~30Mbps) with N adapter but still get 54Mbps with build-in wireless G adapter.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 12, 2010 2:23:07 PM PDT
It depends on the type of encryption/security you are running to get the full 300mbps

Posted on Jul 7, 2010 8:57:30 AM PDT
Brian C. says:
It is common with WiFi to get lower speeds if you get really close to the router. It has something to do with latency. Im not a wireless engineer.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2010 8:44:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 2, 2010 8:53:12 AM PDT
Try disabling your built-in Wireless G so that the connection is just the N. See if that improves the performance. On some routers, if you have a mixed environment, B, G and N at the same time, it slows down the performance of the fastest connection which, in your case is the N.

I just bought this router. I will test it to see if I have the same result.

Posted on Aug 5, 2010 5:13:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2010 5:15:55 AM PDT
L. Autry says:
I've been considering this (and other routers) because video streaming is jerky on my Belkin Wireless N+ when I'm downloading on another computer. Also, its built-in USB is slower than molasses. I'm hoping someone will post on similar experiences on the TP-Link.

BTW, I have the Belkin Wireless N+ router in a mixed B/G/N environment using WEP (intentionally :) ). I get top speeds on the respective standards. All wireless N NICs but one are USB. The "B" is an older Gateway ARC200 laptop and "G" on one PC (D-Link NIC) and one iMac G5 (built-in). The one exception is that I get 54Mbps on the new TP-Link wireless N mini-pci board (TL-WN861N) I got for my Dell Precision M20. The same board gets 150Mbps at work.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2010 7:10:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2010 7:12:18 AM PDT
I will try and test the data transfer rates from the usb. I too came from the Belkin N+. I switched out all my Belkin equipment for TP-Link. I, like almost everyone else, has tried them all, Apple, Netgear, D-Link, Belkin and worst of all, Linksys. These brands talk a big game, but I noticed that they don't deliver. I have a graveyard of wireless routers in my garage.

I stopped using my Belkin N+ after 1 month because it was just too painful. I also have a mixed environment so I know what your are going through. It is probably the processor of the Belkin that cannot handle the traffic. You may have to throttle your traffic so that you don't overwhelm it. Try switching it to G only and see if you still get jerky video. That addressed it with me, but then again, that is the reason why I don't use anymore. Belkin made very good G routers, but horrible N routers for some reason.

As far as the TP-Link is concerned, I haven't had any problems with performance, or any erratic and unusual behavior. It is doing what all Wifi N routers are supposed to do.

Posted on Aug 15, 2010 9:09:37 AM PDT
John Banes says:
Check your computer to be sure it can use 40 Mhz channels and is not locked at 20 Mhz. Once I corrected my computer I am now connecting at 300 instead of about 143. I can now move files in a minute and a half that used to take 6 minutes or so.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2010 6:26:01 AM PST
What? What's a "40 Mhz Channel" on a computer?

Are you referring to the interband frequency separation of the Wireless N adapter?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2010 10:21:42 AM PST
Shaddi Hasan says:
Basically... 11n can use 40Mhz-wide channels, rather than the 20Mhz-wide channels used by 11b/g. You need 40Mhz channels to achieve the 300Mbps speeds. What someone else said previously about operating 11n equipment in a mixed environment (i.e., with 11b/g equipment) then you won't be able to use the 40Mhz-wide channels, since the older equipment does not support that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2010 11:16:43 AM PST
Understood and agreed. It's not the computer but the settings on the TP-LINK adapter to utilize the wider channel schema.
Since you can only use three of the eleven channels without overlap already (1,6,11), this is no big deal, only a compatibility issue with older model wireless adapters if you have a mixed network (such as xbox, or wifi cell phones who use b/g radios).

Posted on Apr 4, 2011 8:41:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 4, 2011 8:44:27 PM PDT
I'm experiencing the same problem with this router. My laptop has a wireless Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 AGN capable to get 300Mbps, I'm sitting about 5 meters away from the router but my laptop can not go any futher than 180Mbps even more I bought an antenna of 8dBi but there's no progress, not to mention that I own this router about a month ago and I had have to reset it four times so far.

On the other hand, I have bad experience accessing an USB flash drive (FAT32) attached to the router. I was able to copy on it but I wasn't able to do anything else. However, with a Hard disk (NTFS) I can indeed copy, delete and create.

I had great expectation with this router but I think I must go with a truly 300Mbps (NAS capable) router like the ASUS N16.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›