5.0 out of 5 stars Don't let the price fool you., June 21, 2011
This review is from: LG Infinia 55LW5600 55-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 120 Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV and Four Pairs of 3D Glasses (2011 Model) (Electronics)
I wasn't even in the market for a 3D TV, but when my Sony HDTV blew yet another bulb, I decided it was time for something new.

Initially, I planned on getting one of the new Sharp 60" Quattron models, and headed to a nearby big box store to check out the selection. Picture quality was most important to me, where I was willing to accept a plasma if it blew me away, but I was definitely siding towards LCD or LED. I wasn't too shocked to find that while plasmas were nice, they weren't "that" nice, and settled in to the Sharp.

On my way out, I thought I'd check a couple of the 3D displays, just to be 100% sure I wasn't making a purchase I'd regret as soon as 3D content became more widespread. I looked at a couple of Panasonic models with active shutter glasses, and found that the 3D looked acceptable, but the glasses weren't comfortable on my head or to my eyes. A DirecTV rep all but insisted that I look at a high-end Samsung model connected to a DirecTV receiver, and I immediately noticed that getting the thing to display 3D apparently required messing with the DirecTV remote, the Samsung remote, and continually re-syncing the active glasses. "No, thanks." I thought.

Then I noticed an unloved LG display, with a bucket (yes, an actual bucket) of scratched passive glasses. No way was this going to look good, but it wasn't like I didn't have a few minutes to spare.

I was absolutely blown away. By far, the best 3D experience I've seen. Standing about six feet from the screen, there was a scene from an IMAX documentary where a fish seriously looked like it came out about halfway between where I was standing, and where the TV was. And I could see parasitic fish on the nose of that fish, moving around. It was incredible, clear, and I knew it had to be pretty expensive. Much to my surprise, it was in the same league as the Panasonic models. I had to have it.

Doing more research online, I saw that Amazon's price was even better (better, in fact, than a national warehouse club sells the non-3D version of this TV for). I ordered on a Monday, and scheduled my (free) shipping for Thursday afternoon. The delivery people came 15 minutes from the start of my four-hour delivery window, with no hassle at all.

Out of the box, the picture quality on this TV is pretty awesome. Better than I remembered it being in the store, for sure. But, I did notice that motion seemed really... weird. I wasn't sure if it was my satellite receiver, or the TV, but things just didn't seem to move naturally. After spending some time adjusting the dejudder and deblur settings, I was able to make the motion normal. But then, I figured, I might as well calibrate everything. Using a combination of the calibration feature on the Life Blu-Ray and recommended settings on various forums, I was able to achieve an absolutely stunning picture. Seriously, this thing looks like it cost hundreds upon hundreds more when it's calibrated.

1080i / 1080p content looked absolutely brilliant. SDTV, on the other hand, isn't the best I've seen. It's certainly acceptable, and arguably on the better side of what's commonly found on LCD / LED models, but I'd probably consider getting something different if most of your viewing is going to be sub-DVD quality content.

Then it was time to break out the 3D. I snagged a copy of Tron: Legacy (Four-Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray / DVD / Digital Copy) and spent most of the movie sitting with a dumb smile on my face. The picture quality and depth were outstanding. Don't fall for the "active / passive" hype. Watching 3D content with the LG's passive glasses is certain to please anybody who can see. And going back to my memory of the Samsung set, when the LG detects 3D, a box pops up that tells you to put your glasses on. That's it. No messing around endlessly with modes to get it working.

I then decided to play with the 2D-to-3D function on some HD channels and standard Blu-Ray discs, and was actually pretty surprised. More often than not, the TV seems to process the image as you'd expect to see 3D. It's not something I'd want to do all the time, but I have to say, watching Moulin Rouge! [Blu-ray] with 2D-to-3D was actually pretty awesome.

The built-in applications were kind of a mixed bag. Getting the TV on my WPA2 wireless network was pretty simple, and the Wii-inspired remote worked better than I had expected. The Netflix and Amazon On Demand apps were both very solid -- arguably better than what you'd find on a Roku, and miles ahead of the ones built in to my Sony Blu-Ray player. The other apps were less than impressive. Bringing up the weather app is more time consuming than just tuning to the Weather Channel, for example. The included web browser is fine for "Hey, look what my TV can do" showing off, but you're probably not going to want to fire it up to look at IMDB in the middle of a show.

All things considered, this is probably the best value around. While I lost 5" of screen real estate over what I planned on buying originally, the difference in picture quality alone was a decent tradeoff. Getting 3D was gravy, to say the least. Unless this thing sets my house on fire, I'd be hard pressed to recommend anything else within a couple hundred dollars.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 12 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 58 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 28, 2011 9:36:38 AM PDT
Y. Navti says:
Can you please share what settings you are currently using after you calibrated the TV?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2011 8:33:38 PM PDT

Method: 2 Points
Pattern: Outer
R/G/B Contrast: 0/0/0
R/G/B Brightness: 0/0/0
R/G/B/C/M/Y/K Tint / Color: 0 (all)
TruMotion: User

Y. Navti says:
Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2011 1:33:37 PM PDT
M. Nyland says:
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and calibration expertise!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2011 4:11:01 PM PDT
I have never calibrated a tv before and was nervous , now I can plug these in as a starting point. Thanks.

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 6:58:31 AM PDT
Awesome review!. Have you tried the USB and accessing mass storage?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 7:27:26 AM PDT
Thanks very much!

I've only used USB for the included wi-fi stick. I'm already using an HTPC with XBMC, so I didn't really need to go with direct-attached storage.

However, I did tinker around with Plex. It's not bad, but having used Plex on a Mac, there's a lot of room for improvement. I'm hoping LG keeps updating it. If they could get the full Plex client going and a Hulu (not Hulu Plus) client, I'd probably be able to ditch the HTPC.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2011 3:31:53 PM PDT
Rich says:
Hey guys, I bought this TV last week and whenever there is a black screen with text/picture in the middle I see a lot of white shadows/light coming from the tv edge, I've read that this is a problem with edge-lit led's but is it very noticeable on this model or I might just have a bad one that needs to be replaced? On mine it's easy to notice, you can see it in black bars top and bottom when watching some movies, you can see it on "credit" screens, etc...anyone has this problem? Any info on this is appreciated, thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2011 6:08:53 PM PDT
It's kind of subjective, to be honest.

The first week or so, I noticed it a lot, and thought it was really annoying. Coming from an LCD projection set, I saw it as kind of a tradeoff -- I saw a halo around the screen during credits, but the black was so much deeper than what I was used to.

In a nutshell: every edge-lit LED / LCD flat panel is going to do this to some degree. Probably the most practical way to determine if there's a problem with your set, is to go to a store and see some comparisons.

One other thing... have you downloaded the latest firmware? I've noticed the past two updates (going back to when I originally wrote my review) have improved this issue, as well as some audio sync problems I was having originally.

Posted on Sep 4, 2011 10:36:27 AM PDT
The resolution is half that of an active shutter glasses system, that doesn't bother you at all?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›