Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

1.0 out of 5 stars Fox blows it on Blu-Ray again, April 8, 2008
This review is from: Predator [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
My 1-star review is not for the movie, Predator, which I love. I bought it twice on DVD: the first single-disc release with no extras, and then the excellent 2-disc special edition. I am not going to be buying on Blu-Ray, however, until the chowder-heads over at Fox start including all of the ALREADY PRODUCED extras on their Blu-Ray discs. Case in point: Predator.

Predator on Blu-Ray features a higher definition transfer (though on a single layer disc), but carries over none of the special features from the 2-disc DVD. How hard would this have been? Make it a dual layer Blu-Ray, and just throw them all on there in standard definition. That would have guaranteed and instant buy for me. But this habit of dumping the film bare-bones onto Blu-Ray is reminiscent of the early days of DVD, and I thought we were past that. Other studios are doing a fine job of including all the special features, so why is Fox being dumb? And why are they slapping a $40 MSRP on a bare-bones release?

You would have had me with a good release, Fox. I would gladly plonk down the cash for a true upgrade from my DVD version. But you blew it, and you're not getting my money.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 8, 2008 11:38:23 PM PDT
Deb R. says:
Good comments, I agree 100%. Fox not only keeps releasing bare-bone catalogue titles, but also charges more than any other studio. It's pretty ridiculous and they need to get their act together

Posted on Apr 14, 2008 11:57:44 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2008 12:12:47 PM PDT
Bricktop says:
In all fairness there are PLENTY of Fox discs loaded with extras.
Plus, I'm not aware of these extras being available in HD; I'm not sure people are thrilled with SD extras as it is on Blu-ray.
The title runs 107 minutes with only one lossless track, using dts-ma which is the most efficient way to encode lossless audio; I think they could have plunked all the SD extras on here and still fit it on a single-layer disc.

Some of these titles are from 2006 and early 2007. They're simply finally getting around to releasing them. Predator was originally scheduled for March 2007 I believe. It's obvious they haven't done anything with the original encode which is a shame, but the ones they are in the middle of doing and more recent ones are pretty impressive with extra content/digital copy, PIP, etc.

Perhaps when people start spending money on catalogue titles that have been painstakingly remastered like Close Encounters, we'll see the studios putting more effort into titles like this.

It's a shame, Predator is an excellent movie. I think the PQ and SQ is pretty good on this disc. The lack of extras certainly doesn't warrant a 1-star rating. For me it's a 3-star disc through and through.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2008 11:11:05 AM PDT
Tim H. says:
Because it would be nice to have one Blu-Ray disc in your movie library instead of a Blu-Ray disc for the movie and the standard def DVD with the special features.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2008 5:13:34 PM PDT
Ryan Agadoni says:
William Smith: I don't want to have to keep my DVD just to have the extras. That's stupid. If I'm upgrading to Blu-Ray, I'm replacing my DVD, not adding to it. I don't need two copies of Predator sitting on my shelf. So, until Fox gets it right, I'll be keeping the DVD.

Steven Burke: I have been spending my money on the painstakingly restored Blu-Rays. I already bought the Blade Runner 5-disc set, and I plan on buying Close Encounters very soon (as well as Rio Bravo, Gattaca, and several others). I'm so pleased with the effort put into those discs, and I will continue supporting the releases with that kind of care. But when I can buy the 5-disc Blade Runner for less than the barebones Predator, it makes Fox look like a shady guy in an alley.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2008 11:36:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2008 11:37:47 AM PDT
Bricktop says:
The 5-disc Blade Runner? Surely you're being a little dishonest here by making it sound like the Blade Runner set has 5 Blu-ray discs in it? Aren't discs 2 and 4 DVD's?

You seem hell bent on crucifying Fox whilst ignoring all the discs they're doing that are chock-a-block full of extras.

Blade Runner to date is an abberation, much like Close Encounters. Classics like this will receive the treatment when the director asks for it and the studio concurs. Paramount were about to do a half-arsed restoration of The Godfather, but luckily Spielberg stepped in and forced them to do it properly. Now someone like you will probably give Paramount all the kudos. Luckily for us there are some film enthusiats in Warner, which is why we're getting the coffee table editions, but you won't see pricing like they did with Blade Runner the next time around on a 5-disc (3-BD) 4k restoration.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2008 10:30:50 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 16, 2008 10:32:09 AM PDT]

Posted on Jan 15, 2009 9:53:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2009 9:54:56 PM PST
G. Granger says:
Why did Fox do it? TO MAKE MONEY! Duh. For the suckers who will buy it, just because it's Blu-Ray and buy every subsequent release. Annoying as all, but pretty smart to me. They suck.

Posted on Feb 22, 2009 12:38:31 AM PST
Boz says:
It seems that some of the studios want to repeat DVD history with BluRay. First like the Original DVDs with only a trailer as a bonus feature or some cast and crew list. Then of course will come the special edition with delted scenes and commentary. Then comes the directors cuts with the original theatrical versions included. And then the Ultimate Editions and then???

Posted on Apr 6, 2009 8:40:49 PM PDT
Ma$$ive says:
Yea, I don't think I will be buying this one either until they come out with a different version. Until then, I'll just keep it on my DVR in HD and be satisfied with that.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Ryan Agadoni
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Location: Whittier, CA USA