5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended!, August 9, 2011
This review is from: Panasonic KX-TG6591T DECT 6.0 Amplified Sound Cordless Phone with Answering System, Metallic Black, 1 Handset (Office Product)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
(NOTE: THIS REVIEW WAS WRITTEN IN 2011. A very long time in the world of consumer electronics.)

This Panasonic single line cordless phone system is by far the best I've owned. A surprising number of thoughtful, easy to use features are packed into a relatively small (5 3/4" x 5 1/4") footprint.

Created perhaps with aging Baby Boomers in mind, emphasis has been given to clarity of sound, legibility, and ease of use. This is not an old person's phone, nor a phone for the hearing impared; it's a product that anyone would appreciate. After all, what is the point of caller ID if the LCD screen is impossible to read? Or what is the point of advanced cordless technology if the sound quality is poor? Or what is the point of multiple advanced features if they require 10 easily forgotten steps to be accessed?

Things you should know about this system:
1) It is Dect 6.0 Plus which is new technology.
2) It is expandable with up to 5 more optional (ie. you have to purchase) handsets, or 6 total
3) It comes with a wall mounting adapter.
4) It requires 2 AAA NiMH rechargeable batteries (included)
5) There are speaker phones on the handset and on the base.
6) There is an 18 minute digital answering system that is accessible from both the handset and the base
7) There is "Talking Caller ID" which recites out loud the number and sometimes the name of the caller. This is a useful feature if you are eating dinner or not near the phone when a call comes in. It can be turned off if desired.
8) A 50 number phone book is shared between the handset and the base. Numbers are easily added (with the "1") via caller ID.
9) The phone can be programmed to block unwanted calls.
10) The handset has a dedicated volume key as well as an equalizer button which allows for a customized sound range.
11) Panasonic offers an optional range extender (KX-TGA405) which claims to double the transmission range of this phone.

This is a phone system that is easy to use, has excellent range, excellent sound clarity, useful features and is perfect in size to sit on a bed side table or hang on a kitchen wall.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 10, 2011 7:56:52 PM PDT
Brent Butler says:
I'd love the shared phone book feature. Years ago when we got an AT&T system like this, we had to enter every number desired into the base and each handset separately. It is nice to be able to carry the handsets outside when an important call may be coming in that I'd prefer not to let go to voice mail.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2011 7:21:32 AM PDT
Like Brent, our system is also the AT&T. We have been delighted with it. That being said, we have in the past used many of these Panasonic products and have been quite satisified with them also.
Nicely done review.

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 8:48:18 AM PDT
Wulfstan says:
Solid tech review.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2011 1:32:30 PM PDT
Thanks Wulf!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2011 1:40:34 PM PDT
Wandrwoman says:
Don and Brent, Like you two, I also have an AT&T at home. It's a two-line corded/cordless system. It's not Dect 6.0, doesn't have the shared phonebook feature, the automatic "1" insertion when you save a number from Caller ID, or the clarity of sound that this Panasonic has. If I could find this Panasonic model in a two-line version, I would ditch my existing system.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2011 2:23:37 PM PDT
So far we have not had a clarity problem with ours. I have five units on it and no problems. I will say though that the Panasonic system we use to own did have a better sound quality than our current AT&T.
Stuff like this though make you wonder what we will have available over the next 10 or 15 years...or even 1 or 2 years. I suspect that before long everything will be completly be wireless. Many people I know have pulled their landlines completely.

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 10:50:39 PM PDT
Meah True says:
Great review, WW. This is exactly what I've been looking for, for my mom. The local stores aren't carrying a lot of inventory, probably because so many are ditching their land lines, anyway. I think I'll get one for me, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2011 11:09:09 PM PDT
Wandrwoman says:
Don, Poor quality phones are a pet peeve of mine. I believe the first Amazon review I wrote was to blast a mediocre Panasonic phone I had bought. Oh for the days of the MaBell rotary that weighed enough to be a doorstep, didn't need an electrical outlet, and worked reliably for years!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2011 6:08:31 AM PDT
Yes, the old MaBell phones. We will have one hidden about somewhere. We have had that phone for around 40 some odd years now. I found it recently and out of curiosity, plugged it into one of our phone jacks...it worked! This is after it had been used as a "play phone" for four very rowdy grandsons. I do not think the thing can be destroyed. I can assure you that we will never see quality like that again in our lifetime. Alas.

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 6:48:33 AM PST
RedSoxFan says:
Thanks for the detailed review. I am in the market for a phone like this for my mom. Looks good. I couldn't see in the picture where the dedicated volume key is on the handset that you mentioned. She needs volume control a lot and is often accidentally messing up her volume on her current phone.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›